3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jbyrnes
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200919_222200 (resized).jpg
    20200918_175928 (resized).jpg
    20200917_183306 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I have a Mr and Mrs Pacman pinball machine. It has a brand-new mpu in it and I have rebuilt the rectifier board and the sound board. Everything seems to work on it except for the Playfield lights. There doesn't appear to be any wiring issues it's almost as if the solenoid board was not sending any information to the Playfield lights at all. I replace the two little bulbs that are attached to the small boards underneath Playfield with no change. It appears that only the lights on the Playfield are affected as everything else seems to work fine. But it will eventually freeze up all together. You can actually be playing it and all of a sudden everything just quits the light stays on in the back box the soundboard sound changes and everything becomes unresponsive you have to reboot the machine. I haven't rebuilt the lamp driver board or the auxiliary lamp driver board yet they were next on my list. The PAC maze works perfectly.

20200917_183306 (resized).jpg20200917_183306 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

Start simple. Check the fuse at F5 on the rectifier board in the bottom of the cabinet.

#3 3 years ago

The schematic shows that a triac that’s mounted to the rectifier board chassis controls the playfield GI lights. I’ve heard that the part # is obsolete, but someone came up with a replacement.

#4 3 years ago

Are you just talking about the General Illumination, or including the switched illumination? The playfield GI is controlled by a Triac mounted to the rectifier board chassis in the cabinet. The triac is controlled by the lamp flasher board on the bottom of the playfield and that is controlled by a lamp diver SCR.
    You did the right thing by changing out the load lamp. Just to confirm, you replaced it with a 555 and not an LED?

The tiracs seem to be rock solid, most of the time the circuit failure is due to a bad connection. I would start by checking the solder connections on the flasher and lamp driver boards. If they are good, move on to the various connectors in the circuit. These cabinets are a known issue with all the connections behind the displays. Things are always getting loose in there.

#5 3 years ago

F5 is good. I have a 6.5 volts going 2 10-4 of plug J1 on the rectifier board– red wire if I have it correct. I'm not sure what the triac is but I've replaced all the rectifiers that's all the see ours and both Bridge rectifiers. All the solder joints in wire connections on the solenoid expander board and the auxiliary driver board under the Playfield look great. Also if I jump between two terminals on the auxiliary driver I can get the GI lighting to come on which led me to believe it could be that chip however none of the Playfield lighting at all works whether it be General lighting or it would be driven lighting. Only the PAC maze works. Also I've noticed that the two rollovers on either side of the Playfield will not score but everything else scores fine. If I take my meter and touch it to the red wire on one of the GI bulbs I read 6.5 volts ac. So I'm getting power but apparently not ground I did put 555 bulbs under the Plainfield and not LEDs.

#6 3 years ago

I found this behind the displays. Do you think this might have something to do with it? I unplugged it and the thing actually played a little better without that plug even connected.

20200918_175928 (resized).jpg20200918_175928 (resized).jpg
    #7 3 years ago

I bypassed the tri ac by connecting the two plugs together. It now has gi but still no controlled lighting. I bypassed the the burnt plug and now the rollovers work and the knocker too.

#8 3 years ago

Problem solved! Underneath the Playfield the fuse holders were actually broken. They were touching just enough so that the meter would show that they had conductivity through them but apparently when you applied power through them they weren't. I accidentally touched one and the lights came on. I replaced them all and it seems to be up and working great! Thanks for all the tech help from everybody here. Turned out to be a tiny little something. Now I foresee a lot of pinball playing in my future!

20200919_222200 (resized).jpg20200919_222200 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mr-and-mrs-pacman-no-playfield-lights?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.