You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2D911075-5DBC-4921-8213-AC7C284DD630 (resized).jpeg
833A977F-4395-4814-B33E-705B727DB2D8 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20190112-011951 (resized).png

#1 5 years ago

Working on fixing one of these up for a friend. Got everything working great except the sounds/sound effects/audio. All the speech is working fine. All the correct speech is present when the test button is pressed on the audio board but there is no sound(s).

Now here’s the strange part. If I disconnect the main connector from the sound board and reconnect it with the game powered on, the sounds come on (but some are still missing). With the sound(s) working, if I power cycle the game, they don’t come back. If I reseat the connector on the sound board with power still on, it comes back until the next power cycle when it stops again.

The sound board LED has one quick flash at power up, three flashes, then two final flashes, which research shows to be correct. I’ve rang out all the wiring for continuity, reflowed and inspected all header pins, tested all the test points for voltage (-5, +5, and 11.5) but the 11.5 was reading around 14.8. Not sure if that’s an issue or not. +5 and -5 were right on. Both volume pots work as advertised with no issues when the sound and speech are present.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 5 years ago

Have you put on a cap kit? If they look original it's due. May or may not help with this issue. Just curious what speech? I thought Mr. & Mrs. Pac Man that Wa-ka, Wa-ka, Wa-ka served as speech. Do you have the correct game roms in there?

#3 5 years ago

Replaced all the caps on the sound board. All sounds/music/sound effects/speech are present now. That did the trick. Just wanted to give an update. Thanks.

#4 5 years ago

There is only one remaining issue. One single maze light doesn’t turn red. It turns yellow, but not red. All the other ones turn both colors. Any ideas on that? It has the LED maze board in it.

#5 5 years ago

There's oher speech as well besides the Wakka-wakka-wakka wakkas. It tells you to shoot for Pac-maze saucers & says the letters of Pacman as you hit the lettered targets behind the lower drop target banks.

#6 5 years ago

Yeah. It’s all there. Verified.

#7 5 years ago

Still a few sounds missing. Background sound during game play ( unless it's turned off ). And background sound during Pac-Maze. Everything else seems present

#8 5 years ago

There is a setting for that. Check the manual but I think its #18 in the self test(Red button inside the coin door)

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Still a few sounds missing. Background sound during game play ( unless it's turned off ). And background sound during Pac-Maze. Everything else seems present

Hmm. Are those dip switch settings?

#10 5 years ago

No. Inside the coin door by the volume control. Same button as the self test for lights, displays, etc.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

No. Inside the coin door by the volume control. Same button as the self test for lights, displays, etc.

Gotchya. I’ll see if I can figure it out. Thanks.

#12 5 years ago

Here is the page in the manual.
Self test button til 18
Start button til 03
Sets all sounds

Screenshot_20190112-011951 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190112-011951 (resized).png
#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Here is the page in the manual.
Self test button til 18
Start button til 03
Sets all sounds
[quoted image]

Thanks a ton! Any idea on the one maze LED that doesn’t turn red?

#14 5 years ago

Which red position isn’t lighting? You can try jumpering a working light at the lamp board connector. Figure out which lamp driver (probably aux driver if red). Pull off the connector and jumper one that works, then move the harness side to the one that dosent.

If you want I can send another Pacmaze board if you think it’s a board issue.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

Which red position isn’t lighting? You can try jumpering a working light at the lamp board connector. Figure out which lamp driver (probably aux driver if red). Pull off the connector and jumper one that works, then move the harness side to the one that dosent.
If you want I can send another Pacmaze board if you think it’s a board issue.

One of the transistors on the Aux board was open. Replaced it and now all the Maze LEDs are red/yellow respectively.

Also found that 18 in the menu was set to 2, not 3. Set it to 3 and now I have background/all sounds. As far as I can tell, it’s all working now. Need to rebuild the flippers (lower R/H is jittery), but everything else appears to be good now. Thanks to everyone who helped. It’s very much appreciated.

2D911075-5DBC-4921-8213-AC7C284DD630 (resized).jpeg2D911075-5DBC-4921-8213-AC7C284DD630 (resized).jpeg833A977F-4395-4814-B33E-705B727DB2D8 (resized).jpeg833A977F-4395-4814-B33E-705B727DB2D8 (resized).jpeg

#16 5 years ago

I didn't like the game much so I didn't screw with it to often. Must have missed the settings for turning on the speech. Damn, that could have improved the likeability.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Mombo-number-5:

I didn't like the game much so I didn't screw with it to often. Must have missed the settings for turning on the speech. Damn, that could have improved the likeability.

No it wouldn't!

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Zenomorp:

Thanks a ton! Any idea on the one maze LED that doesn’t turn red?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/04-7381

There's a red and yellow one for each position, and I think the colors are just little reusable bulb caps (condoms). Right after I bought a box of replacements, mine started working again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 10.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 10.00
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 10.00
$ 199.95
$ 90.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mr-and-mrs-pac-man-sound-missing?hl=geeteoh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.