Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F5656ADC-2060-4631-9702-66CBA7B43744.jpeg
73BC7775-48FB-47D9-B4E6-71CBB7E4D566.jpeg
0DBC4D0D-9945-4BF3-A0FF-BAF9AF404F2A.jpeg
190733397.png
9EC52BFC-E17E-4D15-A242-A5DD5D5DAB31 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

Hey everyone. Looking for a little help here. I was replacing the Squawk and talk board and I believe that I made a mistake. I removed the small plastic holders that keep the board elevated and forgot to reinstall them when mounting the new S&T board. I'm assuming the metal backbox door was directly contacting the back of the s&t board and I did not notice my error until I turned the power on. I immediately shut it off and removed the board. Now my pinball wont boot and all I get is a few solid lights on startup but no gameplay whatsoever. Before this, the game would play perfectly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

This could be very serious damage. Since the game won't boot, start by removing the sound board. Check power supply test points and fuses. If you are very lucky, a fuse might have blown. If the fuses and power supply voltages check ok, then try to boot the game without the sound board. Hopefully the dashboard boots. If it does not, then you will be troubleshooting that board. If it boots, then it's the sound board that is holding up the game from booting. Depending on what exactly shorted you could have a lot of ICs damaged, to the point where it is irreparable. Just an honest assessment. Good luck.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

This could be very serious damage. Since the game won't boot, start by removing the sound board. Check power supply test points and fuses. If you are very lucky, a fuse might have blown. If the fuses and power supply voltages check ok, then try to boot the game without the sound board. Hopefully the dashboard boots. If it does not, then you will be troubleshooting that board. If it boots, then it's the sound board that is holding up the game from booting. Depending on what exactly shorted you could have a lot of ICs damaged, to the point where it is irreparable. Just an honest assessment. Good luck.

Damn, definitely not what i wanted to hear but I kind of felt thats what may have happened. When you say it may be irreparable, do you mean the game itself? Can i just order new ALLTEK boards all around? Ill be picking up some fuses tomorrow and crossing my fingers. Thanks for the help @wayout440.

#4 3 years ago

You'll be able to get the game going again, but it may indeed require a few new boards. wayout440 is an excellent tech, def follow his advice moving forward.

I'd begin with his suggestion to start pulling fuses and checking them for continuity with your meter. There's several fuses on the board sitting on the bottom of the cabinet (the "Power Module Board"). This is also a good opportunity to verify that you have the correct fuses installed in the game if you haven't already.

As also suggested, try unplugging the sound board and see if the game boots. I think you may have already tried it, but do so if you haven't.

What is the LED on the MPU doing when you turn on the game? What kind of boards do you have in the game currently?

It sucks to have something like this happen, but we've all been there one time or another. You'll get you're game back up and running! Just gonna take some time, money, and patience. As long as you're ready to learn a few things and carefully follow the sage advice of techs like @wayout440, you'll get there!

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

You'll be able to get the game going again, but it may indeed require a few new boards. wayout440 is an excellent tech, def follow his advice moving forward.
I'd begin with his suggestion to start pulling fuses and checking them for continuity with your meter. There's several fuses on the board sitting on the bottom of the cabinet (the "Power Module Board"). This is also a good opportunity to verify that you have the correct fuses installed in the game if you haven't already.
As also suggested, try unplugging the sound board and see if the game boots. I think you may have already tried it, but do so if you haven't.
What is the LED on the MPU doing when you turn on the game? What kind of boards do you have in the game currently?
It sucks to have something like this happen, but we've all been there one time or another. You'll get you're game back up and running! Just gonna take some time, money, and patience. As long as you're ready to learn a few things and carefully follow the sage advice of techs like wayout440, you'll get there!

frunch thanks again for the help. The meter came in today. What exactly should i do with the meter to test the fuses? Im assuming you mean to pull the ones on the Rectifier Board correct? The LEDs on the MPU board are not lighting up anymore. I have all original boards installed minus the s&t board that is a repro.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Bennyv07:

Im assuming you mean to pull the ones on the Rectifier Board correct?

I think we're talking about the same board. I believe yours is located on the bottom of the cabinet?

Either way, the fuse values are likely listed on the board. Pull each one out and set your meter to check continuity. If you want to send a pic of your meter i can point out exactly which setting we want. Most meters will make a beep with the continuity function, so when you touch the ends of the probes together you'll get a beep out of the meter. You want to set it to that function, hold each of the meters probes on either end of the fuse you're checking (again, pull the fuse out of the holder to check it) and the meter should beep if the fuse is good.

Also look closely at the caps of the fuse and see if you can determine the amperage and type of each one. They will usually say something like 3A 250V and some other abbreviations as well. Make sure the amps match up with the ratings listed on the board you're pulling them from.

#7 3 years ago

frunch this is the one that i purchased online. Im hoping it is just a simple blown fuse or two.

9EC52BFC-E17E-4D15-A242-A5DD5D5DAB31 (resized).jpeg9EC52BFC-E17E-4D15-A242-A5DD5D5DAB31 (resized).jpeg
#8 3 years ago

Here's the setting you want to put it on. I'm pretty sure you'll get a beep from it when detects continuity. Put it on this setting and touch the probes together and see if it beeps. If it works, proceed to test the fuses by placing a probe on both ends of the fuse and listen for the beep.

190733397.png190733397.png

Also, it's important to note that fuses come in 2 main varieties on pinball machines: slow blow (also known as MDL) and regular/fast blow (also known as AGC). You do not want to mix them up! The labeling on the board or schematic will specify slow blow where they are used, otherwise you can assume fast blow/regular fuses are used.

Also, black lead plugs into the center plug labeled COM, red leaf plugs into the port too the right of that one.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Here's the setting you want to put it on. I'm pretty sure you'll get a beep from it when detects continuity. Put it on this setting and touch the probes together and see if it beeps. If it works, proceed to test the fuses by placing a probe on both ends of the fuse and listen for the beep.
[quoted image]
Also, it's important to note that fuses come in 2 main varieties on pinball machines: slow blow (also known as MDL) and regular/fast blow (also known as AGC). You do not want to mix them up! The labeling on the board or schematic will specify slow blow where they are used, otherwise you can assume fast blow/regular fuses are used.
Also, black lead plugs into the center plug labeled COM, red leaf plugs into the port too the right of that one.

73BC7775-48FB-47D9-B4E6-71CBB7E4D566.jpeg73BC7775-48FB-47D9-B4E6-71CBB7E4D566.jpeg

frunch Ok so i started with F3 fuse, since I previously viewed a M&MPM repair video where the person stated that this specific fuse kept blowing and the game wouldn't start. He had a similar issue where the game wouldn’t boot past a few lights. Pulled the F3 fuse and tested it with the meter. No beeps. Whipped out a new 4a 250v AGC fuse and crossed my fingers.

F5656ADC-2060-4631-9702-66CBA7B43744.jpegF5656ADC-2060-4631-9702-66CBA7B43744.jpeg

We have power!!! Whew. Reinstalled and carefully mounted the Squawk & Talk Board; making sure to triple check the mounting. We have sound!! Now my next issue is the flippers. They were working before my little screw up.

0DBC4D0D-9945-4BF3-A0FF-BAF9AF404F2A.jpeg0DBC4D0D-9945-4BF3-A0FF-BAF9AF404F2A.jpeg

As you can see in the diagram above, i have highlighted the fuses that i have replaced in yellow. I was hoping that by replacing the F4 (43v Solenoids 3x Flippers) fuse, it would solve the problem but no luck. I am going to try testing the solenoid fuses under the playfield next for continuity.

#10 3 years ago

What a relief that must be! Glad you're back to booting up properly.

Were any of the fuses that you pulled out incorrectly rated? Was F3 the only one you found blown?

Have you tried running the coil test in the diagnostics? Do the other non-flipper coils fire in coil test (or in gameplay)?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

What a relief that must be! Glad you're back to booting up properly.
Were any of the fuses that you pulled out incorrectly rated? Was F3 the only one you found blown?
Have you tried running the coil test in the diagnostics? Do the other non-flipper coils fire in coil test (or in gameplay)?

frunch I'll make sure to do the diagnostic test next after going over the rest of the fuses on the rectifier board with the meter. I've tried running diagnostics before but it is a little confusing to navigate in comparison to the newer dmd pinball machines. Ill make sure to pull up a manual and go over it, since one was not included.

#12 3 years ago

Congrats Bennyv07 you got lucky averting disaster! Thanks frunch for the props. Bennyv07 just take it slow, read a lot and post your questions here. Keep in mind that mistakes happen most often when we are in a hurry. You'll get it it going. We're all here to help.

Besides checking the fuses, most older flipper systems transfer power through the cabinet switches and EOS switches. These circuits are energized all the time (voltage) and the cabinet switch provides a path to ground for current flow. You can use a meter to check these, and perhaps post a photo of these areas. Let us know what clues you find and we can help you troubleshoot. Your meter is your best friend, check for the presence of solenoid voltage at the fuses and cabinet switches.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Congrats Bennyv07 you got lucky averting disaster! Thanks frunch for the props. Bennyv07 just take it slow, read a lot and post your questions here. Keep in mind that mistakes happen most often when we are in a hurry. You'll get it it going. We're all here to help.
Besides checking the fuses, most older flipper systems transfer power through the cabinet switches and EOS switches. These circuits are energized all the time (voltage) and the cabinet switch provides a path to ground for current flow. You can use a meter to check these, and perhaps post a photo of these areas. Let us know what clues you find and we can help you troubleshoot. Your meter is your best friend, check for the presence of solenoid voltage at the fuses and cabinet switches.

wayout440 frunch So, I went over all of the remaining fuses with the meter , both on the rectifier board and under the playfield. All of them gave off a beep, but I went ahead and replaced them with newer fuses either way. Still no flipper movement. Went into the coil test diagnostics and let it run twice over to make sure I heard every knock. All good. Removed the glass and physically rolled the ball by hand to enter into the "Pac-Maze." I was curious to see if the flippers would respond to the arrows and Pacman's movements while in the maze. Sure enough, they did. This made me suspect that there may be a wire on the J2 connector for the flipper power that I may have knocked loose. Pulled out the molex connector, gave it a little cleaning and made sure all wires sat flush and made contact. Bingo! Flipper power is back! I'm going to need to replace the connector soon, it seems. I'm almost to 100% playability minus the solid lights we talked about. Now that I have the meter, I can test the Q41 SCR. frunch I'll post a follow up question on how to test it with the meter on the previous topic. Thanks to you both!!! Almost to the finish line!!!

#14 3 years ago

Great stuff!! Congrats on finding the culprit! Quite a rollercoaster of events over the past day lol! So yeah, let's continue troubleshooting your remaining issues on the other thread.

wayout440 please feel free to join us if you like, in the other thread we're diagnosing a couple locked on lamps (prior to this issue). Seems like a bad SCR, but we're yet to install a new one. Thanks for all the help you provide on the forums!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mr-amp-mrs-pacman-pinball-won-t-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.