3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ravve
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Troubleshooting mpu board on wpc89 machine.
    Board don't boot when connected to machine, leds D19 and D21 are solid lit and D20 is out.

On bench (with external power), all 3 leds D19, D20 and D21 are solid lit.
    I wonder how the 3 leds should behave when nothing except power is connected to board (on bench)?
    Not sure if the board is booting up or not?

On bench, I logic probed address/data lines everywhere (including the ASIC), following the fantastic Sascha V. layout.
    Got this:

- "Address CPU" lines A0-A15: A0 is stuck low and A1-A15 are pulsing.
    - "Data CPU" lines D0-D7:  All Data lines (D0-D7) are stuck high!
    - J202 Data lines D0-D7: All Data lines are stuck high.
    - "Switch jmp/dip" Data lines D0-D7: D0 is stuck high, while D1-D7 are stuck low.

Also, the processor at U4 do get a bit warmer than the other chips.

Not sure if these are expected behavior or not?

#2 3 years ago

Found an uploaded clip showing a board operating on the bench, the 3 leds seems to operate the same way as when the board is in the machine.

This means that my board is not booting up (all 3 leds are lit on mine).

Still not sure if the A0 and D0-D7 should be pulsing (keep in mind that the board is on bench)?

What component should be suspected if they are not pulsing?

#3 3 years ago

When A0 is stuck LOW, the processor can't communicate (proper) with any of the other chips (RAM/ROM/ASIC).
    The problem is that all chips that are handling address lines can be responsible for this.

Replace processor first. It is on a socket

Quoted from ravve:

following the fantastic Sascha V. layout

great stuff

#4 3 years ago

Thank u Zaza for making my days so much easier
    So I am right asuming that A0 should be pulsing and that I should focus on that first (not D0-D7 that are not pulsing either)?

Could there be some other reason than failed ram/rom/asic for A0 not pulsing, like a broken resistor or similar?

If I understand u correct, i should change the cpu/ram/rom/asic one after the other and hope it fixes the problem, there is no way to troubleshoot more exactly what is causing this?

Just a thought, could it be the reset line? Is it possible to ground the reset pin on cpu to trigger a manual reset (need to verify that it is not my computer power supply that is slow at startup, making the watchdog or similar become active on mpu, hence not booting).

And man, MERRY XMAS!!!

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from ravve:

So I am right asuming that A0 should be pulsing and that I should focus on that first (not D0-D7 that are not pulsing either)?

They all should be pulsing, but I don't know how the processor responds when communication is not possible.

Quoted from ravve:

Could there be some other reason than failed ram/rom/asic for A0 not pulsing

The ICs on top of the CPU-board do fail sometimes (U1, U2, U3)

You have to start somewhere. It is handy when there is a spare CPU-board where components can be swapped en tested good or bad.

#6 3 years ago

Thanks Zaza you are really helpful!

Would you happen to know if there is a way I can manually reset the board?
    I read that external power supply may boot slow, making MPU go to watch dog or similar. Someone recomends to ground the reset pin once the external supply is stable, to reset the board. However it was not for wpc MPUs so I am not sure it can be done on these?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mpu-troubleshooting-help-to-interpret-results and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.