(Topic ID: 146726)

MPU to Solenoid Driver

By oldschoolbob

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

It looks like my MPU is not talking to my solenoid driver board. During self test no coils will fire (flippers work). When I ground the tab on the transistors they all fire fine. I'm sure the connectors are OK - they have all been replaced. I'm thinking the U2 on the driver board could be bad? How can I check this? Anything else to check?

Thanks

Bob

#2 8 years ago

Hi bob,

On the driver board schematic you will notice the 4 to 16 decoder has an enable pin (low when selected i think), four inputs, and 16 outputs. The MPU will hold the enable pin in a state (low i think) and the four inputs will be going high/low in encoded patterns during solenoid test. Check the inputs including the enable pin, right at the decoder with a logic probe and then you can look at outputs.

mpu j4 to driver j4 is most likely cause of your issue.

andrew

#3 8 years ago

Thanks Andrew,

I was afraid I was going to have to break out the logic probe for this. Unfortunately this is on a machine I sold a while back. I was trying to help the new owner get it going again but I think he knows less than I about repairing pinball machines. Everything so far has been through e-mails. The last message I sent him was to re-seat the J4 connectors. I haven't heard back - lets hope that fixes it.

Bob

#4 8 years ago

Thank goodness you were right about the connectors - he re-seated the J4 connectors and everything is fine. Glad I didn't need the logic probe. Wish I knew more about using it.

Thanks

Bob

#6 8 years ago

Thanks for the link Terry. And thanks for writing it. I read it before and found it very helpful - I even bookmarked the page. But I'm still a little intimidated using it. I've only used it a couple of times, I guess what I need to do is sit down and really use it and get to know it.

Bob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Troxel Repair

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mpu-to-solenoid-driver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.