Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_20150228_13_35_09_Pro.jpg
mpu089-bu-w1-2_1.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Was working on a switch and seeing if it would register after I installed it and it slipped out of my hand and touch a coil. I know I had a blown U20 and ASIC chip. I replaced the U20 i had extra and the horrible screeching went away and I took the ASIC chip out and tried it in a working MPU and the game didn't work. I put the working one in this MPU and still nothing SO I know I have some other blown chip and who know what else. Anyone interested in taking a look at this?

#2 9 years ago

Sure. Send it to me. It'll be a change of pace.

Chris Hibler
1449 Wellington View Ln
Wildwood, MO 63005

Send me a PM if you'd like me to help.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

1 week later
#4 9 years ago

So I tested the RD DRiver board that was in the game and it worked. I found out the MPU was bad as the U20 blew and the ASIC chip was also bad. I wanted to get this up and running bought a new RD Mpu (ill have Chris H. fix the orig later) finally have time to get it going tonight and still nothing. I have no Display, limited GI and 0 D20 lit on the New RD MPU. Any suggestions on what I am missing?? The only thing I had to use from old board was the U6 and U4, I can't believe either of those went bad.

#5 9 years ago

I've never seen solenoid voltage to the switch matrix touch the ASIC. I've seen it get a couple levels deep and damage things, but never all the way to the ASIC.

Here's what I'd look at

1) Look at pin 1 on the ribbon cable that runs from the left side of the CPU to the display. Is it aligned correctly on both ends?

2) Is the replacement MPU cabled properly? Meaning, all the connectors in the right place, and no ribbon connectors shifted off a pin, etc?

3) Are any fuses in the game blown? Blow the right fuse, and you'll never get the displays... check for the correct voltages on the driver board at its test points, and check for the correct voltages at the display.

4) Unplug all the connectors from the MPU but the large header on the right side of the board that provides input voltage. Power on the game. Does the MPU boot, based on D19/D20/D21?

5) Go over the game ROM and the processor chip, and make sure pin 1 is aligned in the correct direction, and that all the legs of both chips are inside the socket. It's easy to install them with a leg hanging outside the socket, or rolled under the IC.

#6 9 years ago

Right now this is what I know. I confirmed the Driver board (which is a new RotDog Driver as i put it in the Shadow and it plays fine). I just got the new RD MPU89 and swaped the U6 and U4 over. I assume the brand new RD MPU89 is working fine but I didn't check b/c its brand new and RD has never failed me in the past.

1) I checked the pins on U6 and U4, I installed them properly and in the correct direction.

2) I just unplugged everything put the power wire from the MPU, Sill no D20 I have a solid D19 and a solid D20

3) The RD Driver board has LED's for all the voltages and the Driver board is getting all the correct voltages.

#7 9 years ago

voltages read going into the MPu from bottom to top J210 PIN 7 =+17, PIN 6= +17, PIN 5= +5, PIN 4= +5 on the main power connector. Could I have a Jumper issue? CLays guid says 1meg at U6 needs to go out of W1 into W2. the RD MPU89 defaults with the Jumper W1 going out and into W1 from the looks of it.

Post edited by kporter946286: added more detail

#8 9 years ago

Here is the default Jumper set up.

mpu089-bu-w1-2_1.jpgmpu089-bu-w1-2_1.jpg
#9 9 years ago

I think I am over thinking this. I believe the default is W1 In and W2 out which is set up for the larger meg games. The BOP uses the 1meg 27010 and I think I just need to move the jumper over. If anyone can confirm this that would be great. I won't be getting to this till tomorrow.

#10 9 years ago

Unplug everything but J210

Try the processor chip from another of your WPC games - WPC-S, WPC-95 and WPC-89 use the same processor. Does it boot now?

If not, try a game ROM from another one of your WPC-89 games - just to see if it boots. If your ROM is bad, I can send you a new one. If your processor is bad, Todd @ Big Daddy has them.

If it still doesn't boot, there's another problem. I agree, you can generally trust RD boards, but RD is human just like you and I, and it's possible there's an occasional product with issues - but since your original board quit working, it's possible this is the same problem that was going on with your original board.

There's no need to rejumper - the 1/2/4M jumper position will work on any and all WPC games. The final ROMs for every WPC game were 1M or larger.

#11 9 years ago

I did unplug everything. The sticker on the RD board says tested 01/15. I will try a known working processer and another game rom as you suggest to rule that out. Why does Clays guide says my chip requires W1 out W2 in then? I checked the # on it and it changes for the next batch of roms to W1 in W2 out. Remeber this is and old old first round of WPC games.

#12 9 years ago

From Clay

1meg (27010) W1 out W2 In (this is the chip I am using)
2+4meg (27020+27040) W1 in W2 out (this is how the RD board comes standard) "Only on very early WPC games using smaller 1meg EPROMs (Funhouse, Harley Davidson, Bride of Pinbot) this can be a problem"~Clay

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

From Clay
1meg (27010) W1 out W2 In (this is the chip I am using)
2+4meg (27020+27040) W1 in W2 out (this is how the RD board comes standard) "Only on very early WPC games using smaller 1meg EPROMs (Funhouse, Harley Davidson, Bride of Pinbot) this can be a problem"~Clay

Reread what johnwartjr wrote, he's absolutely correct.

Clay's post should read "Only on very early WPC games using smaller *than* 1meg EPROMs (Funhouse, Harley Davidson, Bride of Pinbot) this can be a problem" to be correct.

Check your EPROM, if it's a 27010 (1meg) then don't worry about the jumper. If it's 512meg, then set the jumper for 512meg.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#14 9 years ago

Thanks its a 1meg 27010. I'll do some troubleshooting later and update. Thanks guys

#15 9 years ago

My Orig MPU looks like W1 out W2 in like for the smaller older meg

WP_20150228_13_35_09_Pro.jpgWP_20150228_13_35_09_Pro.jpg
#16 9 years ago

Either setting will work with a 27c010.

#17 9 years ago

looks like its both the U6 AND U4 were blown. I put my shadow's Proc and Rom in and it booted. I tried combinations and it must have blown both the U6 and the U4

#18 9 years ago

Now try them in your original board?

That must've been one hell of a hit..

#19 9 years ago

you arn't shitting me. I know that U20 the ASIC, U6 and U4 all gone. I need someone to send me a new ROM chip for BOP. I don't think I can reuse this one. Anyone on this thread able to Burn me a new BOP rom and if so have any blank rom Chips? I bought a ROM burner a while back never had a reason to use it and now when I need it can't find the Blank ROM's I bought. So I would like to purchase 1 ROM with the BOP burned on it and a few blanks for me to practice and learn for future. P.S. I did have a couple extra 6809'S so I have that locked and loaded just need the BOP ROM.

#20 9 years ago

You need John Wart Jr !! Funny he is already helping you anyway! http://thatpinballplace.com/eproms/index.htm

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 9.95
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 27.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mpu-repair-bop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.