(Topic ID: 102775)

MPU for JD or should I swap one out of TZ?

By wannabewiz

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jwo825
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Well, I couldn't sell JD while disclosing that it needs a new MPU so I have reluctantly decided to replace the MPU and try again. I plan to buy a new board with remote battery mount. However, it dawned on me that I have a perfectly good, totally unblemished one sitting in my TZ right next to JD. I mean it is original and spotless. Matter of fact I should think about updating ROM!

Would it make sense for me to put the existing TZ unit in JD that I plan to sell, and then install my new MPU in the TZ keeper?...OR, is there more value in keeping the pristine original board in TZ?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

#2 9 years ago

I would keep the original board in TZ.

#3 9 years ago

I'd keep the original board in TZ. And if it's spotless... get a remote pack or NVRAM in it ASAP!

Heck, if it's not spotless, I'd still do that, because corrosion sucks.

#4 9 years ago

I bought a new Rotten Dog for my TZ, then had the original restored and put back in. I use the RD for a spare. Most prefer keeping the original boards with the machine.

#5 9 years ago

Best answer is to send the original board to someone like Chris Hibler for restoration. Less expensive and the board gets completely updated and bulletproofed. Not sure if he is currently taking on work, but highly recommend him. He has done 2 MPU's and Power boards for my TZ and TAF.

#6 9 years ago

Seems to me a nonworking JD at a good price would sell quickly to the DIY crowd.

Now I have to search for the original thread

#7 9 years ago

Thanks...I will keep the board in TZ.
Agree that Chris would be a great option but he recommended a replacement after seeing pics in my prior thread.
Tough to spend another $190 on a machine that I will lose money on, but....so goes the hobby sometimes : )

Thanks for the input. Glad I asked.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Seems to me a nonworking JD at a good price would sell quickly to the DIY crowd.
Now I have to search for the original thread

Not sure if it is a good price and only tried local CL. I am way too honest to be a shrewd negotiator. I bought it for $1800 from another pinsider buddy. Good seller. I put about $50 in lock sets, new rubbers, lights, cleaning supplies, etc. so in for about $1850. I listed on CL for $1650 to compensate for the MPU goofiness. I would still take that if anyone is interested. May formally list it on here unless that price gets flamed..LOL

#9 9 years ago

New MPUs range anywhere from 250-300 depending on where you get it and whether you go original or Rottendog.

If it's in good shape physically, that seems like a good price to me.

Don't worry about getting flamed for price. Just look around for what they sell in similar condition and knock off a bit for the MPU. Shipping is what usually kills many sales here.

JD is a fantastic game but with shipping, it can quickly go over what its worth. Some people are OK with that for the right machine, most aren't.

Good luck with whichever decision you come to.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 79.50
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mpu-for-jd-or-should-i-swap-one-out-of-tz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.