• Latest reply 7 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I'm working on a MPU 200 for a friend. I replaced the transistors (Q1, Q2,Q5), new U8 socket and a few capacitors in the corrosion zone. Overall it's was in pretty good condition.

When I connected my power supply I thought I was getting nothing on the LED. Then I shaded it with my hand and I saw it was flashing but the LED is very weak. I'm getting 12 volts on both sides of R29 - which makes me believe I'm getting the proper voltage to the LED.

Can a LED go bad and still flash (weakly)?

Also what's strange is I'm getting 2 flashes then pause - then 1 flash and pause - then 4 flashes. And I don't have 43 volts connected - and the first flash don't seem to be a flicker - looks like a real flash.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks Jack, I did clean and check the traces in that area and they seem to all make good continuity.

Sounds like the R29 and the LED need to be changed - I'll do that and try again.

I thought I could ground the transistor to test the LED but which leg is the collector. (I know just enough to be dangerous).

Thanks

Bob

#4 7 years ago

Thanks Jack - you were right - the LED was going dim. I changed the LED and R29 and it flashes nice and bright now. (but still have 12 volts on both sides of R29)

But I'm still getting 7 flashes without 43 volts connected.

2 flashes and pause
1 flash and pause
4 flashes

And the first flash is not a flicker - it's as bright and long as the second flash.
This doesn't seem right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bob

#6 7 years ago

Actually the LED appears (to me) to be off after the last flash.

I have a 24 volt transformer with rectifier that I used before to check zero crossing before. I'll hook it up and check.

If you're correct (and I think you are) I should get 5 flashes after the last pause? And if I do then all is OK?

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

#9 7 years ago

Unfortunately I don't have the game here (just fixing the board for a friend) and I don't have the connector headers installed yet. So I can't test it in a game.

However, I just tested it with my 24 volt transformer and I now get 8 flashes - so I'm thinking the first flash is just the flicker.

Looks like we fixed it - thank you so much for your help.

Bob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 10.00
$ 169.00
$ 199.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mpu-200-weak-led?tu=oldschoolbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.