• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by CactusJack
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3128 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

I'm working on a MPU 200 for a friend and I noticed capacitor C-16 looks like it has a crack along the top. But the game still works. I thought I should replace it to be sure. On the capacitor it says ECI 104K 100V. The schematic shows .1 MFD. Is 104K the same as .1 MFD?

Shopping on GPE it has "Capacitor, Radial Polyester, 0.1uF, 100V, 10%" - "Capacitor, Radial Polyester, 0.1uF, 250V, 5%" - "Capacitor, Radial Polyester, 0.1uF, 400V, 10%" I'm guessing any of these would be a replacement.

Thanks

Bob

Sorry for the crappy photo

IMG_3128 (resized).JPG

#2 2 years ago

HI,

Yes they are the same

104 = 100nF or 0.1uF / MFD
K = +/- 10%

Hope that helps

#3 2 years ago

Bob,

Bally/Stern chose a poly cap because they are likely more precise over a range on situations like temp vs ceramic.

Ultimately you need to choose a resistor and cap combination that gets your MPU display interrupt between 320 - 360Hz. Error on the high side or you get visible blinking on the displays. The MPU seems to keep up with interrupts on the high end OK.

Andrew

#4 2 years ago

Thanks guys,

Andrew, I haven't changed the resistor so which of those capacitors do you recommend? Or should I get something else?

Thanks

Bob

#5 2 years ago

Yes all three would work since the circuit only operates at 5v. But the 250v one would be best since it is 5% tollerance.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Kansas City, MO
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside