• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2405 (resized).JPG
IMG_2404 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I’m working on a Stern Lectronamo. It wouldn’t boot in the game – missing 5 volts at the MPU. I have 5 volts at J4 so I pulled the board out and tested it on the bench. It booted fine. I need to replace the headers so I was looking it over so see what else needs to be done. That’s when I noticed that C80 is totally missing!

This board has been worked on before but I see it needs a lot of help. I just thought it was strange that it boots with missing parts.

Bob

IMG_2404 (resized).JPGIMG_2404 (resized).JPGIMG_2405 (resized).JPGIMG_2405 (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

That's a picture of a Bally -17 MPU board. Capacitor C80 should be a .01 uf @ 100v.

#3 5 years ago

You mean it's NOT the original board? I'm shocked. Just kidding - seldom do I find a game with the original boards. But how can you tell it's Bally and not Stern?

#4 5 years ago

C80 missing is not a big deal, it's just a filter cap to clean up the 5v supply slightly. There's 8 of them around the board so if one fails not much happens.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

But how can you tell it's Bally and not Stern?

M100 just look different. Traces with rounded edges, darker colored pcb and other stuff

#6 5 years ago

You mean it's NOT the original board? I'm shocked. Just kidding - seldom do I find a game with the original boards. But how can you tell it's Bally and not Stern?

If it hadn't been sanded off to get at the corrosion there'd also be a part number on the bottom right

#7 5 years ago

All the Bally boards are clearly drawn using CAD (Computer Aided Design) and all the traces are straight lines with angular turns and everything nicely lined-up. Stern actually stole the board-designs, re-drawing them by hand so you get swoopy/curvy traces instead. Because the designs were basically copied (and Stern did_ get sued by Bally over this!) almost all the boards are direct, drop-in compatible, the major exception being the MPU-200 vs. AS2518-35 (though these boards can easily be converted either direction).

#8 5 years ago

Stern boards are colored dark blue whereas Bally boards are green.

#9 5 years ago

Stern boards are colored dark blue whereas Bally boards are green.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mpu-100-missing-capacitor?hl=dr_dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.