Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2405 (resized).JPG
IMG_2404 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

I’m working on a Stern Lectronamo. It wouldn’t boot in the game – missing 5 volts at the MPU. I have 5 volts at J4 so I pulled the board out and tested it on the bench. It booted fine. I need to replace the headers so I was looking it over so see what else needs to be done. That’s when I noticed that C80 is totally missing!

This board has been worked on before but I see it needs a lot of help. I just thought it was strange that it boots with missing parts.

Bob

IMG_2404 (resized).JPGIMG_2405 (resized).JPG
#2 1 year ago

That's a picture of a Bally -17 MPU board. Capacitor C80 should be a .01 uf @ 100v.

#3 1 year ago

You mean it's NOT the original board? I'm shocked. Just kidding - seldom do I find a game with the original boards. But how can you tell it's Bally and not Stern?

#4 1 year ago

C80 missing is not a big deal, it's just a filter cap to clean up the 5v supply slightly. There's 8 of them around the board so if one fails not much happens.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

But how can you tell it's Bally and not Stern?

M100 just look different. Traces with rounded edges, darker colored pcb and other stuff

#6 1 year ago

You mean it's NOT the original board? I'm shocked. Just kidding - seldom do I find a game with the original boards. But how can you tell it's Bally and not Stern?

If it hadn't been sanded off to get at the corrosion there'd also be a part number on the bottom right

#7 1 year ago

All the Bally boards are clearly drawn using CAD (Computer Aided Design) and all the traces are straight lines with angular turns and everything nicely lined-up. Stern actually stole the board-designs, re-drawing them by hand so you get swoopy/curvy traces instead. Because the designs were basically copied (and Stern did_ get sued by Bally over this!) almost all the boards are direct, drop-in compatible, the major exception being the MPU-200 vs. AS2518-35 (though these boards can easily be converted either direction).

#8 1 year ago

Stern boards are colored dark blue whereas Bally boards are green.

#9 1 year ago

Stern boards are colored dark blue whereas Bally boards are green.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 19.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside