(Topic ID: 253732)

MPU 100 Don't boot on first try

By oldschoolbob

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Oscilloscope_FrontPanelSwitches_3a.jpg
    IMG_3978 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3969a (resized).jpg
    S20191111_0011 (resized).jpg
    S20191111_0010 (resized).jpg
    S20191111_0005 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    S20191110_0011 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0002 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0010 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0009 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0008 (resized).jpg
    S20191109_0004 (resized).jpg
    S20191107_0003 (resized).jpg
    S20191107_0002 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4003 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

Check the voltage across the zener diode at VR1. If it's lower than 7.8 volts, replace it.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

Didn't you say something about having problems with VR1's a while back? Didn't you say you usually replace them?

Yes, if I measure 7.8V or less across that zener diode I replace it. The voltage across that zener is kind of used to determine if power is good at startup.
    Measure the voltage directly across the zener diode (one meter lead on each zener leg).

#7 4 years ago

With power on or off?

On.
    Your measurements said there's 7.76V across it (12.9 - 5.14).
    I was just saying to measure directly across the zener to see how much voltage is across it.

#11 4 years ago

There's plenty of online info about zener diodes. Essentially when they're connected in reverse, at a certain voltage (spec of the specific zener diode) they conduct. This makes them suitable in simple voltage regulator circuits - remember that 13V zener in your bench power-supply you were building at the start of the year?

The spec of the VR1 zener on the Bally/Stern MPU board is 8.2 volts. But I've seen plenty of them running around 7.8 volts and at that voltage, the boards don't like booting from some bench power-supplies.
    To be honest if you leave that zener on the board it will probably work fine in game due to the rate that the supply rails reach steady levels - different rate to bench power-supplies.

#13 4 years ago

What happens if you pull out the 5101 RAM? Do you get the flicker every power-on?

When the board doesn't boot, what voltage do you read at the reset pin of the CPU (Pin 40 of U9)? If you then very briefly short pin 40 to pin 39 on the CPU, does the board boot?

#15 4 years ago

Is that replacement Q1 the right transistor?

Looks like you'll have to test the resistors/transistors/diodes in that "valid power detection" circuit.
    The schematics have a couple of voltages in that circuit listed.

Also, temporarily disconnect capacitor C13 and see what happens.

#18 4 years ago

I think C13 has also been replaced.

Yes, it's a 50nf capacitor. The original value is 10nf.

Next I lifted one leg of C13. And it booted first try - I tried again and solid on.

Did it seem to make much difference?

I just noticed I missed a voltage - Q1 collector to R138 and R140. Schematic shows 0.3 VDC. I got 9.6 mV. I got the same results with solid on and booted.

Then I checked the Stern and got 37.1 mV.

Have you got a 2N3904 to replace Q1 with?
    Does R138 and R140 measure good?
    How about the diodes at CR5 and CR7?
    Is the big R11 resistor good?

#20 4 years ago

Can these be checked in circuit?

Check them in circuit. If they measure out of spec then investigate further.

Change that C13 capacitor to original spec. Its larger value isn't helping because it's delaying the 5V reference state used for the reset.

If you feel like delving in, pull out the oscilloscope and enable dual channel mode.
    Connect one of the scope input leads to the banded side of zener diode VR1
    Connect the other scope input lead to the banded side of diode CR5
    Take a snapshot of the signals the moment you power up. Lets see the relationship between the rise time of the 12V line and whether the 5V reference state used for reset has stabilised.

Compare the result to your working Stern board.

#26 4 years ago

Adjust the vertical position of the traces so that zero volts is on the first grid line at the bottom of the screen. Since you're measuring positive DC voltages the trace shouldn't go downwards so this gives you the full screen for better resolution.
    When you're measuring AC voltages, then have the zero volt traces running in the centre of the grid.
    See how you go about getting the vertical controls working again.

I looked for R12 and it looks like a diode there.

Someone has changed R12 to a blocking diode for an external battery. Actually I do the same thing but use a 1N5817 diode which has very low voltage drop. Since there's no battery currently on your board, the other end of that diode is going to an open circuit.

#32 4 years ago

Could U9 be causing this problem? Maybe I'll switch U9's tomorrow.

Yes, give it a quick try tomorrow.

#33 4 years ago

But the strange thing is if you change your settings after a few seconds that becomes the new default setting.

It doesn't have a store settings button that's stuck?
    Is there anything in the menus about restoring factory defaults?

#35 4 years ago

I think I can download the latest software and put it in the scope.

If you press the Utility button and go to the System Info menu, what firmware version do you have loaded?

The latest Hantek firmware appears to be dated 25-Jan-2019

#38 4 years ago

The sockets on this board are AUGAT and the connections look really small. Should I change the U9 socket?

Carefully pry the plastic IC socket cover off. It will expose all the socket pins pins and you'll be able to see what condition they're in. Lever your screw driver off U15. Don't twist screw drivers under the socket against the PCB because it will damage traces. Lever off a close by IC.

Do the same with the socket at U8 and U11 and inspect their pins for corrosion.

#40 4 years ago

The U8 socket has already been replaced

Sorry, I meant U7 where the 6810 RAM is.

I'm very carefully heating each pin and removing them one at a time. This is going to take some time but I'm not doing anything anyway. I'll let you know how it works out.

Actually that's how I remove those sockets when I replace them. Pry off the plastic cover then heat each pin one at a time and pull them out with my fingernails
    Pretty much no risk of damaging traces provided you only start pulling the pins when you feel them moving in the molten solder. It takes me about 20 minutes to remove all the sockets on a board like that.

Good luck with the oscilloscope - I hope the supplier resolves the issue.

#46 4 years ago

How many times have you burnt you fingers?

Heh, sometimes they bite for a split second but it's not that bad. It's not for everyone..

#55 4 years ago

Quench, did you ever have a MPU that you just couldn't fix? I hate to give up but I think it's got us beat.

I always remove the components in the corroded area, clean the corroded copper traces with acid and tin them with solder to put some "meat on the bones" and protect the copper. Replace all IC sockets and pin headers - very rarely do those boards need any follow up diagnosis, they usually work first go.

I see in your picture above some of the components in the "valid power" section have stale solder and tarnished copper pads. The components previously replaced before you got the board weren't cleanly solder attached to the copper pads.
    Shine a bright light from behind the board and closely inspect the pin area between the U8 socket and the board to get some idea of the work previously done and the current condition.

Look at the solder joint on the right leg of the big R11 resistor. Is it making contact?

To be honest, I'd remove those components in that area and clean then resolder tin the copper pads the components should be soldered to and install new components. If you feel this is too much work then at least reflow all those components for now (both top side and bottom side of the board) to see if it resolves.

Do you think the U7 or U11 sockets are bad?

Pop the socket covers off and look at the state of the pin receptors.

#63 4 years ago

The problem I’m having (as did the previous owner) is the solder pads keep falling off

Don't worry about the solder pads falling off the copper pads - it seems common for those late 70's Bally MPU boards. Just clean the copper pads and flux/retin with solder.

#65 4 years ago

It's not just the solder is missing but the entire pad. Nothing left to solder to.

You might have had some solder still attaching that pad to the header you were removing, so the pad pulled when you removed the header. Or if it was the other side, maybe too much heat for too long as Mark said or too much aggression with the solder sucker.

If you're going to replace the components in that valid power area of the board, just cut them out and remove the leftovers like you did with the CPU socket.

#71 4 years ago

Most of the Bally headers didn't come out so easy and some of the pads stuck to the headers. Same desoldering tool - same temperature - different results.

I feel your pain. The Stern boards were better chemically treated before they were solder bathed.
    Sometimes I'll try to desolder pin headers on a particular MPU board and the solder just doesn't want to clear effectively. In those cases I'll switch to using an iron to heat the pin and pull the pin out from the other side with pliers when the solder and plastic melt.

The problem you may experience with this board is getting new solder to attach to the tarnished copper pads which might need to be cleaned beforehand - more work..

Cutting the components out and removing the legs still leaves solder inside the through hole. The only way to get it out is to suck it out or drill it out.

You're not using a desoldering gun to clear the holes? It helps to add a touch of solder to the pads before sucking.

#74 4 years ago

The only bad news is I broke one of the legs off one of the Stern ROMs - it stuck in the IC socket. Looks like I need to replace the U2 socket on the Stern board.

No way to get the pin out with tweezers?
    If you have a faulty chip, cut one of the legs where it comes out of the plastic and solder it onto the broken pin stub on that Stern ROM.

Then I changed ROMs in the Bally board. I connected it and it booted first try. I let it set and tried again (several times) and it booted first time everytime. Looks like the ROMs were bad.

Question is also whether reseating the ROMs essentially got it working - i.e. one of the ROM sockets suspect?

Quench, Going back to post 20 - now my scope is working. Yellow probe on VR1 and blue on CR5. Scan is from the Bally.

Is this what we're looking for?

Essentially what we were trying to see is whether the board was releasing the /RESET signal to the CPU (so it could wake up and start to boot process) when in fact power was detected as "valid" or not.
    The waveform snapshots you took the other day showed the same initial behavior between this Bally board and the Stern board. But we need to go further.

Note you're getting a hell of a lot of noise on the blue signal (banded side of diode CR5). Maybe a grounding issue with the scopes probe?

Hook up one of the scope probes to pin 40 of the CPU which is the /RESET line. Hook up the other scope probe to test point TP5 on the MPU board which is the 5 volt rail. What we want to see is when the /RESET line is released and goes from zero to 5 volts, that the 5 volt power rail is already steady at 5 volts. In other words, when the CPU is told to wake up and start running it must occur after power is stable. Otherwise the CPU will startup unpredictably and could cause solid LEDs on power-ups.

#77 4 years ago

Only about half of the leg broke off in the socket. I got it out but the socket pin is bent and probably won't make good contact.

If you want to be creative, desolder that pin receptor, pull it out of the socket, reshape it and put it back in. Yes I've done this before...

Quoted from Quench:

If you have a faulty chip, cut one of the legs where it comes out of the plastic and solder it onto the broken pin stub on that Stern ROM.

See pic below: The chip was a bit rough but you get the idea.

Which reminds me, how do you remove the left over solder from the thru-holes? Desoldering gun?

I always add a spot of new solder then suck it out with the desoldering gun.

I suspect the grounding issue. The ground wires on the probes are very short. So I connect a jumper wire to the TP4

Sounds good. Sometimes those test point are so tarnished, getting a good connection can be tricky.

Would connecting to R139 do the same thing?

Yes if that's easier, hook up the probe there to R139.

By the way - Amazon didn't ask for the old oscilloscope to be returned.

Score!
    IMG_0056a.jpgIMG_0056a.jpg

#83 4 years ago

Quench, did you ever think about becoming a brain surgeon?

Ha! too late, been sniffing too much solder flux and acid fumes from these boards

Then I put the old Bally ROMs in and tested. Same results as I was getting on the Bally - solid on for the first few times then it booted. I'm sure now those ROMs were the problem.

Phew, that's a relief that you got to the bottom of the problem. Looks like those suspect ROMs are Lectronamo/Nugent PROMs.

My question is why does the 5V look so high?

Did you accidentally flick the x10 switch on the scopes probe? Or do you have some other setting on the oscilloscope for amplitude division/correction?
    When you connect both the blue and yellow probes to TP5 on the MPU board, they should obviously read the same voltage.

The scope pics are interesting. I wonder if it was just a glitch or if there's something relevant about that blue skinny line spike on the Bally /RESET line.

PinWiki says it happens in approximately 50 milliseconds. Looking at my scope it happens in 8 milliseconds. Am I not seeing something?

Well, the snapshot images don't tell you the moment you powered on the system. You probably need another snapshot of the 12V rail vs the R139 /RESET line. The moment the 12V rail starts to rise tells you when you applied power and then see how long it takes for the /RESET line to release and go high.

By the way, incase you don't know, when you see signals on the schematics with a line over them, the line indicates those signals are logically active low, ie. they are active when at zero volts. So when I type a forward slash "/" in front of RESET, I'm indicating that reset signal is active low. When the reset signal goes to logic high (5 volts) the system is no longer in reset mode.

Quoted from JethroP:

My one and only scope I ever owned was a Heathkit I built in the 60's. If yours was ancient, mine must have been prehistoric. OMG.

Oh dear, I thought I was the only one still using a CRO (Cathode Ray Oscilloscope)!

#87 4 years ago

Who knows, I may learn to use this thing after all.

I think you already have

I just looked up the Motorola 6800 CPU datasheet. With respect to the speed that this CPU runs on these boards, the calculation says the CPU must stay in reset a minimum of 16us (micro seconds) after 5 volts has stabilised, so the 8ms you're measuring is plenty of time.

#92 4 years ago

If all the potentiometers are the only front panel items not working then look for common signals to them all and back trace.

Might be worth disconnecting the flat ribbon cable to the front panel board and reconnecting it.
    To do so lift one side of the black cloth tape holding the cable to the female receptor.
    On each side the receptor there are brown tabs. Push the brown tabs outwards (towards the cable) about 1/16" and then the flat cable will be free to remove. Resinsert the cable and push the brown tabs back into position to lock the cable in.

#98 4 years ago

So the common signals from the pots go to the chip at location UF2 which is a 74HC4051. Google the 74HC4051 datasheet and look up what the pin functions are to try and get some sort of idea what its purpose in this circuit is.
    Note, UF2 on that diagram is split into two parts. You've highlighted "UF2A" and if you look above it one of the four yellow blocks is "UF2B".

#101 4 years ago

Do you remember whether the other switches connected to U2 still worked? i.e. is anything hooked up to U2 working?

There's a function table in this datasheet for the 74HC4051 which can give you an idea what it does and if there's anything common to the signals not working.
    https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/MC74HC4051-D.PDF

#104 4 years ago

Thanks for that Mark, you saved me some typing
    Bob, now with that info and the fact that X4, X5 and X6 at U2 are having problems (X7 isn't connected), do you see anything that's common to them based on the function table in Marks picture?

#109 4 years ago

The only pattern I see is U2 P4 , P5 and P6 are connected to the non-working pots and not connected to any switches.

Do you remember if any of those push button switches on the pots still worked? because they have U2 X5 connected to them.
    Actually they are not pots (potentiometers) at all. You'll notice you can freewheel them 360 degrees so they're not variable resistors with a start and end position. Those things are what's called "incremental encoders". Put simply, their pins digitally indicate which direction you're turning the rotary control.

Here's the map for U3. Since the center tap of all the pots are connected to seven different pins on U3 and the fact the the other switches (using the same pins) are working - we can assume U3 is OK. Right?

In that case, U3 is probably ok.

I sort of understand what's going on with U2 but what I don't understand is what's driving "Enable - C - B - A"? Pins 6 - 9 - 10 - 11. Looks like 9 - 10 - 11 are controlled from U1 (pins 5 - 4 - 3).

Correct, U1 controls both U2 and U3. Your next mission is to download the datasheet for U1 "74HC393" and see what it does

Looks like 9 - 10 - 11 are controlled from U1 (pins 5 - 4 - 3). If pin 9 is held low then the problem could be U1 pin 5?

Pin 9 being held low could be U1 pin 5, BUT U1 pin 5 also goes to U1 pin 13 which then controls U3. Since we presume U3 is working ok, the problem might potentially be the input pin 9 of U2.

One last question - if the Enable pin is pin 6 and the schematic shows pin 6 going to ground - how could pin 6 ever go high?

In this circuit, pin 6 of U2 and U3 never go high. The circuit is designed so those two chips are always enabled by tying their active low "enable" pins to ground.

The other question I always have is where to connect the red clip? When the probe shows HI does that indicate it's higher than where the red clip is connected. If I connect to 5 volts and the probe says HI - does that mean it's above 5 V? And LO means less than 5 V?

Nope, the terms LO and HI refer to logic levels. The red clip is just the logic probes power lead so connect it to the power rail of the logic circuit.
    Have a read of the below link which explains logic levels (OFF or ON, 0 or 1, Low or High) and how voltages levels translate to logic levels for TTL and CMOS devices. Because logic levels are a little different between TTL vs CMOS chips in the middle voltage range, this is the reason for the switch on the logic probe so it can better determine what's "LO" or "HI" (low or high).

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/logic-levels/all

Sense I'm going to be pulling out my logic probe soon, I have a couple of questions. When do you use CMOS and TTL? I know they're for different chips but the chips don't say they are CMOS or TTL.

In the old days it was easy. Logic chips with part number starting with "74" (74 series) were TTL chips. Logic chips starting the "40" or "45" (4000 or 4500 series) were CMOS chips.
    The funny thing is the part number for the U2 chip is a 74HC4051. This part number is an amalgamation of both 74 and 4000 series chips. The function of this part was originally sold as a "4051" back in the day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_7400-series_integrated_circuits
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_4000-series_integrated_circuits

#111 4 years ago

Sorry for the information overload..

Looking at the front panel schematic basically indicates the oscilloscope panel switches and incremental encoders are all hooked up to U2 and U3 in a switch matrix scenario. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the switch matrix on the early Bally/Stern games?

U3 sends the "Strobe" signals to the panel switches, U2 receives the state of the switches being strobed. The difference between the switch matrix on this panel and the switch matrix in those early pinballs is the oscilloscope panel reports one switch at a time (serial data) meanwhile the pinballs report 8 switches at a time (parallel data).
    Besides power to U1, U2 and U3, only 3 other signals are used to interface all those switches/encoders to the main processor board in the oscilloscope.
    The three signals are:
    FPCLR to pin 2 and 12 of U1 which indicates to start reading from the beginning of the switch matrix.
    FPCLK to pin 1 of U1 which moves to the next switch/encoder to read.
    FPMUX from pin 3 of U2 goes back to the processor board with the state of the panel switch/encoder just read.

#113 4 years ago

I may be in trouble with the red logic probe clip. I don't see anywhere on this board to attach it to get power.

I don't think the logic probe will work on 3.3 volt logic circuits anyway. If you have one of the common 610 logic probes, minimum voltage is 4 volts.
    You might need to use your other oscilloscope.

Quench, I'll get back to you later about your last post - I need to read it a few more times.

See if you analyse pin 3 of U2
    Also pick one of the three rotary encoders and analyse the three pins near each other. Do the outer pins voltages change when you rotate its knob? I suspect you should see activity on the middle pin pulsing low which should be the strobe pin.

If it comes to attempting repairs, are you in any position to be able to replace U2? before shipping costs, 74HC4051 are less than a dollar.
    Having said that, I think it might be too early to be attempting repairs in terms of replacing parts - what if they ask for the faulty unit back?

#115 4 years ago

This is what I’m understanding – CLR is a signal from the motherboard – CLK is like a ratchet (next , next , next). U1 is like a traffic cop – he’s directing where to send the signal and where to receive the signal. He sends the signal out to U3 who send it to the proper switch (according to the directions from U1). The signal is read at U2 (again according to the directions from U1). Then the signal is send back to the motherboard. Once the signal is received the motherboard tells CLK to go to the next.

I'm impressed! that's pretty good.

I've drawn the switches in the matrix setup below:

The CLR signal from the mainboard forces the A, B, C signals to U2 and U3 to go low (zero volts) which switches X0 to the X pin on both chips.
    At U3, this causes X0 pin to connect to ground via the "X" pin.
    If the first switch is closed (top left corner), the X0 pin at U2 will be connected to ground so the mainboard will read logic low (zero volts) on the U2 X pin (FPMUX signal). If the switch is open the mainboard will read a logic high (the FPMUX signal has pull-up resistor (10k ohms) to 3.3 volts on the main board).

The mainboard then activates the CLK signal to switch U2 to the X1 pin (via the A, B, C pins) so it can read the state of the next switch. After a few CLK ratchets when U2 is at X7, the next CLK signal activation rolls U2 back to selecting the X0 pin. At the rollover, U3 then moves to the next pin which is X1.
    So in the matrix, the top left switch is read at the beginning of the process and each CLK then goes down the column. At the end of the whole process which is 63 CLK signals later, the last switch on the bottom right has been read.

This process probably happens hundreds of times a second. FYI relating this to the Bally/Stern MPU boards they perform this process 120 times per second. Difference is they read eight switches at a time.

I have thought about (and worried about) attempting replacing that chip. This will NOT be easy. I have never worked on surface mounted components – let alone a 16 pin IC chip. It’s like jumping into the deep end. Any suggestions, comments, or lessons will be greatly appreciated. From anyone.

Do you have a soldering hot air gun? You'd be surprised how easy it is.

Oscilloscope_FrontPanelSwitches.pngOscilloscope_FrontPanelSwitches.png

#119 4 years ago

Wish you were here.

Cue Pink Floyd?

Photo 1 shows pin 4.

U2 pin 4 (X7) isn't connected to anything that I can see on the schematic. So that waveform is probably residue you're seeing coming from the U2 pin 3 "X" pin back from the main board.

Can you take a snapshot of the CLK signal at U1 pin 1 showing the full cycle of 63 odd ratchet clicks?
    Essentially what you need to do is use the CLK signal as your trigger reference, then with the other oscilloscope channel record the U2 pin 3 (FPMUX) signal.
    At the 5th and 7th CLK ticks, the FPMUX signal will indicate the state of the two "Volts/Div CH2" encoder bits. Rotating this encoder should change the state of those bits during the read switch process.

However I understand this is going to be difficult to achieve with only 2 hands and limited access..

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I feel a little left out.

Please jump in if you have some extra insight or need to correct me

#125 4 years ago

What we're looking for is the CLK signal being idle, then it pulses 63 times then goes idle again. That's the full cycle. This is the theory.
    So you may have to adjust the Sec/Div to fit all those CLK pulses in on the screen.

#128 4 years ago

This is U1 p1 - it's saved in scope memory.

I count 50 CLK ticks. Try taking the recording another few times. If there is no idle, then as soon as it finishes reading the last switch it goes straight back to read the first switch.
    Can the scope go down to 4.00us SEC/Div? That should fit it all in - will be difficult to see the transitions though.

If there's no idle time then the only way to know when the read process is at the beginning is when the CLR signal pulses high (U1 pin 2).

#131 4 years ago

Thanks Mark, I actually don't have a digital scope so that info helps. I presume Bob will be able to zoom in time wise on the recording?

#136 4 years ago

BTW, change the time base to 4.0us, not 400us.

Quoted from mbwalker:

I have the same Hantek DSO5072P Bob has. I wasn't worried about Bob zooming in - thought that might muddy the waters. But yes, he could do that.

At 4.0us Sec/Div, how many "screen fulls" of data could it record?

#145 4 years ago

I think this is it

Is the recording long enough to determine how many CLK ticks are occurring before it goes idle again?

#154 4 years ago

The purpose of capturing the CLK signal was to be able to determine exactly when the scope wanted to read the incremental encoders.
    If we can't do this effectively then maybe need to try another crude approach.

We know that when the "C" control signal at U2 pin 9 goes high, the scope is in the phase of reading the incremental encoders. So using U2 pin 9 going high as the trigger, what happens on the FPMUX signal at U2 pin 3?
    You're going to need to connect both oscilloscope probes. Ch1 on U2 pin 9 and Ch2 on U2 pin 3.

The problem with this approach is we don't know which encoders data we're looking at.

#156 4 years ago

Both at the same time?

Yes both at the same time, because when U2 pin 9 goes high that's when one of the encoders are being read (with this approach we don't know which encoder). So we're looking at what info is coming out of U2 at that time. The encoders should be reporting a mixture of open and closed switches going into U2.

#158 4 years ago

It MAY be possible for me to hold both probes at the same time

What about a third probe? (I'm not kidding ). How gymnastic are your fingers?

Ext Trigger input connected to the FPCLR pin 2 of U1. This tells the scope and us when the read process is beginning and to start tracing.
    Ch1 input connected to the FPCLK pin 1 of U1 which we can use to tell us which switch is being read at a certain point in time.
    Ch2 input connected to the FPMUX pin 3 of U2 which tells us the state of the switch (or encoder we are interested in) being read.
    Somebody rotates the first encoder (Volts/Div CH2) and we watch if the switch state out of U2 is changing.

Getting complicated huh?

#159 4 years ago

I'll need to set the time base and voltage before I attempt this. Any idea what I'll need to set it at?

Answering your previous question, voltage on channel 2 make it the same as channel 1, time base probably around 24us.

#161 4 years ago

How soon can you get here?

Let me book a super jet now and I might make it in time..

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Sorry, I'm confused...

Hey,
    Have a look at the diagram I drew on the following post which shows all the switches configured in the matrix. I left off the U1 chip that controls both 74HC4051 chips.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mpu-100-don-t-boot-on-first-try/page/3#post-5284901

If you download the schematics Bob linked and mentally put U1 from page 7 onto my diagram, you should get an idea how the switches are read and that it takes 63 clock pulses to go through the matrix.

https://www.mikrocontroller.net/articles/Datei:Hantek_Tekway_DSO_MSO_hw1007.pdf

The assumption has been that the CLK signal we're trying to measure, pauses at the end of each 63 cycles which may or may not be true.
    If yes we have some way of knowing when the process starts and when each switch is being read.
    If not we need to trigger the scope on the "CLR" signal going to U1 to know when the circuit is being reset to read the first switch state.

Bob needs more hands to hold all the probes in place or find a way to connect them to the board by soldering wires to the pins being probed.

At the end of the day, there's 3 surface mount chips controlling these switches/encoders and U2 on the board is the first suspect with its "C" input pin potentially not working.
    One way or another Bob probably needs to replace it and if unsuccessful maybe the other chips. If replacing the 3 chips doesn't fix it then it's potentially an issue at the FPGA 1 chip on the main board which could mean it's game over.

#167 4 years ago

Didn’t we decide the problem is probably U2 P9 (C) is being held low causing X4, X5, X6 not to work properly.

Kind of, you're getting external activity on U2 pin 9 coming in, but internally, U2 pin 9 might be open circuit - this is the assumption since U2 pin 9 needs to go high to pass the rotary encoder signals through.

If I check U2 pins 9 , 10 , 11 and they all show basically the same Then can we assume U1 is doing its job?

The waveforms you posted for U2 pins 11, 10 and 9 all look good to me. You should notice that pin 11 is switching twice as fast as pin 10 who is also switching twice as fast as pin 9.

And if I compare U2 P9 ,10,11 to U3 P9, 10,11 and they look about the same also means U1 is working?

Essentially, the way U1 is wired yes. But your U3 pin 11, 10 and 9 pin waveforms don't look right. They're not uniform like those from U2. Now the U3 pins 11, 10 and 9 are controlled by the same U1 signal (pin 5) driving the suspect pin on U2 pin 9.

Download the U1 "74HC393" datasheet. Have a quick read of the description and then look at the function table which will tell you what happens on the outputs with each active CLK signal change. This chip is designed to change outputs on the falling voltage edge of the CLK signal. We call this a falling edge triggered clock. A logic high voltage on the CLR signal on this chip resets all outputs to logic low voltage state. i.e. when this happens both U3 and U2 are connected to the very first switch in the matrix.

https://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/sn74hc393

No, I don’t have a hot air gun. Expensive tool for just one job and I doubt I’ll work on SMDs again (I hope). I was thinking of using ChipQuick. The problem I see is installing the new chip. Holding it in place while soldering the legs. Would BluTack (silly putty stuff) or temperature resistant tape work?

Hot air guns aren't that expensive but you can do this with a soldering iron. My method back in the early 90's was to solder the corner pins so the chip is held in place, then flood solder over all other pins. Using the thinest solder wick, remove any solder bridging the pins. It actually worked quite well with nice results. Flux helps a lot with this because it makes the solder less likely to bridge when you're cleaning up excess with the solder wick.

Of course you need to remove the chip first, probably cutting each pin with a sharp pointy nose cutter then remove the remaining pin debris with your soldering iron and solder wick.

I don't know if this means anything but the traces on P1, P2, P3 seems to be moving - like it's constantly changing. The trace on P5 is never changing. It's the same every time I test it. Does that tell us anything?

Pins 1 and 2 of U2 connect to the rotary encoders which are reporting their bit positions. While the activity looks unusual, they should be changing.
    Pin 5 goes to all the push button switches on the encoders. Since you're not pressing any of them, they are all responding with open circuit. Press a few of the encoders push button switches while analysing pin 5. Does the waveform change?

#168 4 years ago

Bob, see the two diagrams below.
    I've configured both the U3 and U2 A,B,C input pins - refer to the function table.

First picture shows U3 C,B,A pins configured as Lo, Hi, Lo respectively. This makes U3 internally switch the X2 pin to the X pin which is grounded. So in the switch matrix, you can see the column of switches on X2 are now connected to ground.

U2 C,B,A pins are configured as Hi, Hi, Lo respectively. This makes U2 internally switch the X1 pin to the X pin which is then sent to the mainboard via the FPMUX signal. So in the switch matrix you can see the row of switches which are now connected to U2 X1.

The junction point of these two selected column and row lines is the front panel switch "F0" (Function 0).
    If the F0 switch is being pressed, then the FPMUX signal reports logic low zero volts to the mainboard that the switch is closed.
    If the F0 switch is NOT being pressed, then the FPMUX signal reports logic high 3.3 volts (via the 10k pullup resistor) to the mainboard that the switch is open.

U1 controls the state of the A,B,C input pins to both the U3 and U2 chips. U1 is controlled by the mainboard which via the CLK signal steps through the switch matrix.

The second picture I've configured the U3 and U2 A,B,C input pins to look at one of the rotary encoder lines of the "V0" control.

Oscilloscope_FrontPanelSwitches_1.pngOscilloscope_FrontPanelSwitches_1.png
    Oscilloscope_FrontPanelSwitches_2.jpgOscilloscope_FrontPanelSwitches_2.jpg

#170 4 years ago

Can you post a more closeup clear picture of U2? It almost looks like some of the pins on the left side aren't soldered properly.

When you're not sure of the package type, download the datasheet - you'll find details there:
    Your dimensions roughly match the "TSSOP-16" package.

74HC4051.jpg74HC4051.jpg

#177 4 years ago

The data sheet shows PW (R-PDSO-G14). Which is pretty close to my measurements. (See screen scan). Is this the correct part? Is PW (R-PDSO-G14) the same as TSSOP-14?

It's a TSSOP-14 package. The "PW" letters is Texas Instruments way of including TSSOP-14 to their part number which for them becomes 74HC393PW.

On a quick look I like the Nexperia brand parts which have low capacitance. You should be fine with the two Texas Instruments parts you linked from Mouser.

But gee they're pretty small. I hope you've got a decent magnifying glass.

#179 4 years ago

When you compare the price of the parts (0.38 to 0.86) to the cost to ship (7.99) - I may as well get plenty.

I looked at Nexperia parts but which one do I need? Or which one is best? I'm sure there's a difference but I sure don't know.

4051:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/771-74HC4051PW-T

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/771-74HCT4051PW-T

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/771-74LV4051PW-T

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/771-74HC4051PW

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/771-74HCT4051PW

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/771-LV4051PW112

I'm listing these 4051 grouped by type:

These two are 74HCT where the 'T' indicates they are TTL version and only run at 5 volts - you don't want these.
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/771-74HCT4051PW
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/771-74HCT4051PW-T

These two are 74LV where the 'LV' indicates they are low voltage version (between 1 and 6 volts) you don't want these.
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/771-LV4051PW112
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/771-74LV4051PW-T

These two are 74HC (same spec your board has) which is what you want. They are identical, the only difference is how they come packaged from the supplier. The first one comes in tubes and the second one '-T' comes in tape reels. Choose whichever. The tube ones will probably be easier to store away.
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/771-74HC4051PW
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/771-74HC4051PW-T
    Ditto for the 393 parts, you want 74HC only - first one is tube, second one is tape reel.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/771-HC393PW112
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/771-HC393PW118

Since their cost is peanuts get some Texas Instrument ones too.

That's what I been worrying about for the last week. I'm thinking about getting these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OK0MAX6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

Funny I was looking at buying those a month ago but got something else and not sure I made the right decision. If you get them I'll be interested on your thoughts. It's got more than enough zoom I think.

By the way, I find soldering these small things outdoors in daylight helps a lot with visibility - best light conditions..

#183 4 years ago

ChipQuik seems to be a brand of a range of products. Which one are you referring to?

If it's not too late get the thinnest solder wick you can. My personal experience is I always found it performed better for dealing with surface mount stuff - it robs less heat from the iron and is easier to manage. The wick I've always used is about 1mm thick.

You, Quench, and everyone suggests tacking down the corners first.

I put the chip into position, push down on the chip say with a screw driver so it doesn't move, put some solder on the iron and then iron onto a corner leg so it attaches to the board. Inspect the chip positioning to the PCB pads and once I'm 100% happy it's centered, do the opposite corner leg. If positioning is still good then solder the rest. Otherwise adjust if necessary til it's right before doing all pins.

#184 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

If you're really worried about it, just buy this and practice first: A few dollars, and money well spent to calm your nerves.
    https://www.amazon.com/s

Great idea!

#187 4 years ago

Here's Dave using ChipQuik.

Interesting.
    You'll be an expert in no time

#189 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Also, not all solder wick is created equal. Some has very little flux

Yeah, this is the problem with some of them.

Quoted from mbwalker:

Add some rosin flux to it if it doesn't take solder well.

Yes! Flux is your friend with surface mounts.

#193 4 years ago

Well at least it looks like you got the same brand 4051 as the original.

#203 4 years ago

One small step for man - one giant leap for Bob.

Beautiful! Easier than pulling pin headers off Bally MPU boards?

I received the magnifier glasses today. My first impression so far - You can't use both lenses at the same time.

I bought a pair like this:
    ebay.com link: itm
    You can install one or two lenses (they're large) to get more zoom options, but they get a little heavy so you have to tighten everything to stop them drooping:

This ones very similar to yours but also includes lower zoom lenses - they're harder to find in online stores though:
    ebay.com link: itm

#205 4 years ago

Use the same method with the small caps/resistors. Add flux. Add some solder to the iron tip, hold the component in place with tweezers then touch the joint with the iron tip.

The chip soldering looks great!

#208 4 years ago

I was amazed at how easy the chip went.

I'm hoping you're giving others watching the confidence to try surface mount and not be intimidated.

#214 4 years ago

The problem might be all three legs ( 6 - 7 - 8 ) are ground and look to be connected to a ground plane. I have extra IC's (4051's). Would you replace the chip or just let it go?

If you're having trouble, I'd let it go since they're electrically the same connection. Last thing you want to do is overcook the chip with the iron.

#216 4 years ago

Are you ready to turn this thing on? Clean up the flux and verify there's no solder whisker shorts across any other pins first.

#224 4 years ago

I just feel certain the problem is on this board and not the main board.

There is one way to find out... That is if you're prepared to swap boards with your new scope..

What would keep the other lines (X4 and X6) stuck low? (X7 is not used).

We never quite got into that detail to see what those lines were doing when we were hooking up your scope to those lines.

I just noticed that every one of those non working lines has a diode.

Test them all in circuit with your multi-meter.

Just out of curiosity, (scope off) if you measure the resistance on one of the encoders between the middle leg and either side leg, does the reading change between open circuit and closed circuit as you rotate the encoder?

#228 4 years ago

I was looking over the photos of this board and found a bunch of resistors and transistors (?) that are not shown on the schematic. I count 8 transistors and there are 8 encoders. But they're around the LED's. But there's only 7 pair of LEDs that I can find.

What are they?
    Where did they come from?
    What do they do?

I count 7 transistors and they're all located on the back side of where the LEDs are.
    [EDIT] Oops, there are 8 transistors.

Not sure what you mean?

Set your multi-meter to low resistance mode.
    Put a meter lead on the middle encoder pin "C", put the other meter lead on the "A" pin. You should measure either short or open circuit. Rotate the encoder slowly and you should see the state of those two pins alternate between short and open circuit.
    Do the same between pins "C" and "B" - should get similar behavior.

Oscilloscope_FrontPanelSwitches_3a.jpgOscilloscope_FrontPanelSwitches_3a.jpg

#230 4 years ago

Wrong Schematic?

Schematic might be a previous model, the transistors are probably MOSFETs switching the LEDs.

Should the B and A be opposite? - B closed and A open?

No, see the animation showing how the outputs change as the encoder is turning here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incremental_encoder

Imagine a "1" is when the pin is shorted/connected to the "C" pin, and a "0" is when the pin is disconnected from the "C" pin.

#234 4 years ago

On two decoders the diodes read .55 and OL (all 4 diodes). All diodes are marked "T4".

If you rotate these two encoders, does the OL reading go away?

The decoders were very strange. When first connected the meter reads OL - when I turn the pot it jumps to 20-30 M ohms then quickly goes back to OL. I tried 3 encoders and got the same results. Same results connected to center/right and center/left. At no time did I get a steady short.

The encoders click as you turn them right? These are 12 position encoders according to that schematic you linked.
    Data sheet says closed circuit resistance is maximum of 3 ohms. So you should be seeing closed circuits as you slowly rotate the encoder.

Datasheet for the encoder is here - there's no mention of how the switching occurs as you rotate other than it's not optical - presume it may be magnetic/reed?:
    https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/54/bourns_pec12-1159230.pdf

#236 4 years ago

I tried three encoders (several times) and never saw a closed circuit. The meter starts OL then jumps up then right back to OL. Not at all what I expected from the animation. I'm probing right on the decoders - after the diodes. Exactly where you pointed to in the photo. Even the same three decoders.

Hmm, well do you feel like hooking it back up and powering on. Then toggle a short with a screw driver a few times between pin A to pin C on one of the encoders while watching the display to see if there's any reaction? Choose an encoder that would normally make an obvious change.

BTW, have you ended up replacing all 3 SMT chips or is there still one not done yet?

#239 4 years ago

Wow that's cheap. Might be worth asking for the flat ribbon cable too.

Since you're invested in your current board, you may as well swap the last SMD.

#241 4 years ago

PayPal to some 'hotmail' account. Does that sound fishy?

When you pay via paypay, the receivers account is based on their email address registered with paypal. To be honest them using a hotmail account doesn't surprise me much.
    They probably have cheaper shipping options so long as you don't mind waiting a little longer.

#248 4 years ago

Amazon just requested that I must send back the old scope.

Boo!

It's been a valuable thread. Even I've learnt from it.

Quoted from JethroP:

I was learning a lot too and enjoying this thread.

Bought yourself one of those practice surface mount kits yet?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mpu-100-don-t-boot-on-first-try?tu=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.