(Topic ID: 253732)

MPU 100 Don't boot on first try

By oldschoolbob

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Oscilloscope_FrontPanelSwitches_3a.jpg
    IMG_3978 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3969a (resized).jpg
    S20191111_0011 (resized).jpg
    S20191111_0010 (resized).jpg
    S20191111_0005 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    S20191110_0011 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0002 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0010 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0009 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0008 (resized).jpg
    S20191109_0004 (resized).jpg
    S20191107_0003 (resized).jpg
    S20191107_0002 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4003 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I just finished rebuilding a Bally MPU. I thought I'd give it another test before I put it the parts drawer. I connected my power supply and got a solid on LED. I turned it off then on again and it booted fine. Tried it again a few times and it booted every time. Then I tried a Stern MPU and it booted first time. I went back to the Bally and it got solid on , on the first try then booted. It does this every time I let it set for a few minutes. I got 5.2 V and 13 V with solid on and when booted. I then tried my old power supply and got the same results. The only game I have available at this time is a working Meteor (MPU 200). So I connected only the J4 to test in the game. Same results - solid on the fist try. Turn it off the back on and it boots.

I've tried two power supplies and in a game. It just won't boot the first time.

This is going to be a tough one. Any suggestions where to look?

Thanks

Bob

IMG_3874 (resized).JPGIMG_3874 (resized).JPG
    #3 4 years ago

Thanks Quench,

I just checked VR1 - upper side reads same as TP2 , 12.9 V. Lower side reads 5.14 V.

Just to check I tested the Stern board. It reads 4.61 on the lower side. But it boots fine every time.

Tomorrow I'll check to see if I have a new VR1.

Thanks

Bob

#4 4 years ago

Before coming upstairs I checked my parts drawer. I have "ONE" VR1 - 1N4738A Diode, Zener, 8.2V, 1W.

Didn't you say something about having problems with VR1's a while back? Didn't you say you usually replace them?

Thanks

Bob

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Measure the voltage directly across the zener diode (one meter lead on each zener leg).

With power on or off?

#8 4 years ago

Sorry - I guess that was a dumb question (must be late).

Putting one lead on one side and another on the other side of the zener will tell me how much voltage is going through the zener. I didn't know that. I love learning stuff.

Now I know what a zener is for.

I'll get on it tomorrow.

Thanks

Bob

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Your measurements said there's 7.76V across it (12.9 - 5.14).

If you subtract the difference from one side to the other side and get 7.76 V going through it - wouldn't a "1N4738A Zener, 8.2V" depend on the input voltage? Let's say I have 12 volts on the input and get 8.2 V across - A 5 V or 25 V input wouldn't give me the same 8.2 V would it? Why is it called a 8.2 V zener?

Is there a formula to figure what voltage you get with a certain voltage going in? If I had a 14 V source and wanted a 5 volt output, What size zener would I need? If I had a certain size input and a certain size zener could I calculate what the output voltage would be?

This stuff is fascinating.

Bob

#12 4 years ago

First thing I checked was across the zener = 7.86 V. I also checked above and below the zener. 13.03 and 5.16.

Just for grins I checked the Stern board. 8.25 across the zener. 12.87 above and 4.60 below.

Next I replaced the zener. I still get solid on , on the first try but now it takes several attempts to get it to boot. But at least the zener now reads 8.02 across the legs.

It looks like Q1 has been replaced (bad solder job). But why would it work after several tries?

I knew this would not be easy.

Thanks

Bob

IMG_3924 (resized).JPGIMG_3924 (resized).JPGIMG_3925 (resized).JPGIMG_3925 (resized).JPGIMG_3928 (resized).JPGIMG_3928 (resized).JPG
    #14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

What happens if you pull out the 5101 RAM? Do you get the flicker every power-on?

Same thing - solid on the first try then it boots on the second try. The socket at U8 has been changed. It's a AUGAT socket - looks like machined pin. I looked over the RAM and it looks pretty good - no corrosion.

When I get solid on I read 5.48 at U9 pin 40. When I short pin 40 - 39 it goes to boot. After booting I get 5.49 at Pin 40.

Thanks

Bob

#16 4 years ago

Q1 looks right "F2N 4401 EBC"

Next I lifted one leg of C13. And it booted first try - I tried again and solid on.

I checked the voltages from the schematic. See photo - my results are in red. I tested while it was solid on.

I think C13 has also been replaced. Bad solder joints. The reason for the bad solder joints is because of missing solder pads on the top side. Looks like C80 and CR7 have the same problem. This board is not as good as I thought. And it looks like I'm not the only one to lose pads on this board. Do you think we can save it?

Thanks

Bob

Capture a (resized).jpgCapture a (resized).jpg
    #17 4 years ago

I just noticed I missed a voltage - Q1 collector to R138 and R140. Schematic shows 0.3 VDC. I got 9.6 mV. I got the same results with solid on and booted.

Then I checked the Stern and got 37.1 mV.

Thanks

Bob

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Yes, it's a 50nf capacitor. The original value is 10nf.

Should I change it if I have a 10nF?

Quoted from Quench:

Did it seem to make much difference?

Didn't seem to make a difference - but it's still disconnected. Would that make a difference on reading 9.6 mV at Q1?

Quoted from Quench:

Have you got a 2N3904 to replace Q1 with?

I'm pretty sure I have a replacement from GPE - either 2N3904 or 2N4401. I'll check tomorrow.

Quoted from Quench:

Does R138 and R140 measure good?
    How about the diodes at CR5 and CR7?
    Is the big R11 resistor good?

Can these be checked in circuit?

Shop is closed for tonight - wife went to bed.

I'll get on this tomorrow.

Thanks

Bob

#21 4 years ago

Tomorrows "to do" list:

1 - change C13 - I should have one.

2 - replace Q1 - I should have one.

3 - check R11, R138, R140, CR5 and CR7.

4 - pull out the oscilloscope . That will take a while to set up - I've never used the second channel. My scope has a run/stop switch. If I hit that switch before I power up I think it should capture the moment it powers up and no more - is that what it's for?

Quench, you know you're lucky I'm not your neighbor - I'd be there all day asking questions. I can just see me with a schematic running along side of you while you're cutting grass. you'd never get anything done.

Thank you for teaching me so much.

Bob

#22 4 years ago
    oscilloscope a (resized).JPGoscilloscope a (resized).JPG
    #23 4 years ago

I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm having fun learning. I didn't follow my to do list. I started with the oscilloscope first.

Blue probe is connected to CR5 - Yellow is VR1. First scan is Stern. Second is Bally.

I'm having problems with my scope. The vertical and horizontal controls don't seem to be doing anything. I'm sure I got something messed up in the menus somewhere. I'll mess with that later.

Thanks

Bob

stern 1 (resized).jpgstern 1 (resized).jpgbally 1 (resized).jpgbally 1 (resized).jpg
    #24 4 years ago

I just checked the resistors and diodes. Both Bally and Stern:

R11 - Bally = 88.2 - Stern = 96.5
    R138 - B = 48.1k - S = 45.9k
    R140 - B = 19.71k - S = 20.45k
    CR7 - B = 0.561 V - S = 0.563 V
    CR5 - B = 0.593 V - S = 0.553 V

Next I'll check my parts drawer for Q1 and C13.

Thanks

Bob

#25 4 years ago

I just discovered something real strange. I replaced C13 and was going to buzz my connections. The schematic shows one side to ground and the other to R12. I looked for R12 and it looks like a diode there. See first photo in post 12 above. I checked it with my ohm meter and I read like 5.2 m ohms and open in the other direction.

Can this be right????

Am I missing something?

I checked the Stern board and it's a resistor there.

WHAT???

Bob

#27 4 years ago

I just got back on line after studying the schematic. I noticed R12 is going to the batteries. Someone put in a diode to block the batteries from being charged. That's pretty clever.

I change C13 and buzzed the connections. All good.

I then connected the power supply and tried to boot. It took 5 tries before it booted.

I haven't changed Q1 yet.

First I need to figure out how to get the scope to adjust. Too many buttons and menus. I guess I'll get out the manual.

I'll be back when I get this figured out.

Thanks

Bob

#28 4 years ago

I think my oscilloscope is real sick. I can't get any knobs to function. No vertical (channel 1 or 2). No horizontal. No trigger level. I just can't figure it out.

Bob

#30 4 years ago

It does have a default setting. But the strange thing is if you change your settings after a few seconds that becomes the new default setting. I wish it had an "original" default setting but I can't find it. The "auto set" works fine but I just can't change any settings. I don't know if it's some setting I screwed up or if it's just broke. I've read most of the manual and can't find anything to reset the settings.

Thanks

Bob

#31 4 years ago

I just replaced Q1 and checked its continuity. Still don't boot first time.

Could U9 be causing this problem? Maybe I'll switch U9's tomorrow. I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks

Bob

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Is there anything in the menus about restoring factory defaults?

Not that I have found yet. Don't know where to look - it has a zillion menus. And I can't find anything in the manual about factory defaults. I think I can download the latest software and put it in the scope. I don't know if that would help?

Thanks

Bob

#36 4 years ago

I don't think I ever changed the firmware. I got the scope in 2018 so 25-Jan-2019 would be a later version.

I also think found how to get back to the default settings.

I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks

Bob

default 1 (resized).JPGdefault 1 (resized).JPGdefault 2 (resized).JPGdefault 2 (resized).JPGdefault 3 (resized).JPGdefault 3 (resized).JPGdefault 4 (resized).JPGdefault 4 (resized).JPG
    #37 4 years ago

First I tried the oscilloscope. I went to default setup - I pressed cancel to go to the previous setup. I did that several times and it still didn't work. Then I downloaded the latest firmware and installed it. Still don't work. Looks like all the control knobs (potentiometers) are not working. Might be just a bad connector but I think it's still under warranty. I got it through Amazon so I'll contact them next.

Next I swapped the U9's. (Stern to Bally). I first put the Stern U9 in the Bally and it booted right up. Turned it off then on again and got solid on. Got solid on several times and it finally booted again. I put the Bally U9 in the Stern and it works every time.

The sockets on this board are AUGAT and the connections look really small. Should I change the U9 socket? I know I'll lose a bunch of solder pads. They just fall off this board.

Thanks

Bob

#39 4 years ago

Thanks Quench,

I don't like to lever off of components. With my luck they'll break. I placed a toothpick on the ends of the socket and levered off that - worked pretty good. The pins looked OK but they are really small and some aren't closed completely. I decided to replace the socket. I'm very carefully heating each pin and removing them one at a time. This is going to take some time but I'm not doing anything anyway. I'll let you know how it works out.

The U8 socket has already been replaced - looks like machined pin socket.

This has been a crappy day. I didn't get the MPU fixed and I didn't fix the oscilloscope. I could have just stayed in bed. Hope your day was better.

Bob

#42 4 years ago

Hi Mark,

It's DSO5072P.

Good catch - it was set on 10X.

But the problem is none of the knobs are working. Can't adjust volts/div , sec/div , trigger level , not even the VO menu. It has 8 knobs and not a one will work. If it was one knob out I would suspect a bad pot. But they're all out so it must be power to the pots or something like that. I'm trying to get a schematic.

I contacted the supplier but nothing yet.

Thanks

Bob

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

pull them out with my fingernails

How many times have you burnt you fingers? I got some tweezers with Teflon tips. But that's still slow for me. But remember I'm old and slow.

Bob

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Is anything working on the front panel? Buttons OK?

The supplier contacted me today and asked the same thing. Yes all the buttons work as they should. The volts/div and seconds/div will change when I use the auto set button. So the scope is working fine but I just can't change anything with the knobs.

Quoted from mbwalker:

Wonder if it is just a loose connector.

That's what it acts like.

Quoted from mbwalker:

is it still under warranty?

It's 15 months old. The supplier said one year warranty. But Hantek says three year.

Those schematics are nothing like a pinball.

Hopefully the supplier will come up with something showing how the pots are connected.

How old is your scope?

Quoted from mbwalker:

Also, I believe you can control the scope via the usb. It would be interesting if you can still do that.

I thought of that. I have a laptop next to the scope but I've never connected the two. Have you?

Thanks

Bob

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Heh, sometimes they bite for a split second but it's not that bad. It's not for everyone..

I get burnt enough accidently - I don't need to stick my fingers in there.

I did get all the pins removed today - some didn't want to come off easily. Just a little clean up and a close inspection and I can install the new socket.

Thanks

Bob

#51 4 years ago

Just before I purchased mine I found a scope on Craigslist for 200.00. I think it was a Tektronix - about 20 or 50 Mhz - 4 inch screen - no color. He wouldn't budge on the price. I almost bought it but I shopped around and found this one for just a few dollars more - brand new. Better deal!

I heard that Hantek found that the mod was so easy and everyone was doing it that they just sell the 200 Mhz in a 70 Mhz case. Seems they had to modify the 200 down to 70 so they just quit modifying them. I think mine is a 200 Mhz but I don't know. 70 Mhz or 200 Mhz - it works fine for me.

I wasn't interested in connecting my scope to USB either. If I didn't have this problem I doubt if I would try it but I wonder if it would allow me to adjust the controls. Might give some insight on where the problem lies. I'm going to give it a try when I have time.

I've seen several videos and photos of the inside of this scope but haven't seen anything with the front removed. I hate to dig into it if the supplier or Hantek can repair it. With my luck I'll just make things worse.

Thanks

Bob

#52 4 years ago

I got the socket changed today. Installed another U9 and still got the same results. Solid on , on the first try - then it booted. I let it set for a few minutes and tried again. This time it took 4 tries before it booted.

Quench, did you ever have a MPU that you just couldn't fix? I hate to give up but I think it's got us beat.

Do you think the U7 or U11 sockets are bad?

Thanks

Bob

#53 4 years ago

Well at least something seems to be going right. The oscilloscope - I been in contact with the supplier. They said one year warranty. I told the Hantek says 3 year warranty. Basically they said I should contact Hantek. BS - I didn't buy it from Hantek. So I contacted Amazon. I ended up on the phone with them. They also said I should send it back to Hantek. I told them I bought it from Amazon - not Hantek. After a bunch of bitching and talking to the supervisor he said they will replace it - it should be here Saturday. We'll see.

Bob

#54 4 years ago

Mark, by the way I tried to connect the scope to my laptop. I downloaded TTScope but I don't think I got the right drivers for the scope. Hantek is pretty vague on their drivers. Me and computer drivers never did get along.

Thanks

Bob

#59 4 years ago

Advice from two of the most respected and talented people I know. I listen to everything you say. You two guys have taught me a lot. It’s little surprise that your routine is basically the same.

I don’t mind putting the work and time into this board (even though it’s just a spare). I don’t have much else to do anyway. The board didn’t look to be too corroded when I got it (see photo below) but I cleaned and polished everywhere it looked questionable. I remember seeing a board Andrew did years ago where he removed about 75 percent of the components and rebuilt the entire board. That impressed me.

The problem I’m having (as did the previous owner) is the solder pads keep falling off when I remove anything. Especially when there’s no trace connected. That requires soldering on the top or stitching. It seems that the glue used to adhere the pads to the board has dried out. I've noticed several missing pads from the previous owner.

Since the board won’t boot on the first try maybe is has to do with the ROMs. Next I’ll try swapping the ROMs. If that don’t do it I’ll attack the IC sockets.

Thank you all for the help.

Bob

IMG_3801 (resized).JPGIMG_3801 (resized).JPG
    #61 4 years ago

Thanks Mark, I have seen that thread before. barakandl started that thread years ago.

I’d be very cautious about using a strong acid on anything. Years ago I remodeled apartments for a local village. A maintenance worker a couple of buildings down was cleaning a clogged sink. He poured in some really strong acid drain cleaner and it blew up out of the drain. Burned his hand and arm pretty bad. The stuff he was using was for commercial use only - I'm sure it wasn't what Andrew is using.

I’m always careful using any kind of acid.

Bob

#64 4 years ago

I guess my description isn't clear. It's not just the solder is missing but the entire pad. Nothing left to solder to.

08 (resized).jpg08 (resized).jpg
    #67 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

You might have had some solder still attaching that pad to the header you were removing, so the pad pulled when you removed the header.

I know that was part of the problem. See photo. It's difficult to heat both sides at once. When i did the Stern board I heated the pins on the back and most of the headers just came out. Most of the Bally headers didn't come out so easy and some of the pads stuck to the headers. Same desoldering tool - same temperature - different results.

I assure you my de-soldering skills and tools are average at best. But I try to be careful and use heat sparingly. Just when I work on a board with no loss of pads then I get a board like this Bally and start losing many pads I get concerned. I lost 4 or 5 header pads but the previous owner lost even more removing components. When I worked on the U9 I only lost if two half pads. And that took me two days. Cutting the components out and removing the legs still leaves solder inside the through hole. The only way to get it out is to suck it out or drill it out.
    I doubt I’ll ever get the skill most of you have obtained but it’s not for lack of trying. I'm thinking it takes a special skill like playing a piano.

Thanks for the lessons.

Bob

01 (resized).jpg01 (resized).jpg
    #72 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

The problem you may experience with this board is getting new solder to attach to the tarnished copper pads which might need to be cleaned beforehand

When I remove components I always clean the pads with very fine sandpaper - Solder attached or bare copper pads I give them a good cleaning.

When I said suck it out I meant using the desoldering tool. Adding more solder just seems counterproductive but I'm learning it usually helps.

Today was a much better day. I received my new oscilloscope - Way to go Amazon!. I didn't get much time to mess with it but it seems to work great. I only used it to set the probe and all the controls worked.

Then I changed ROMs in the Bally board. I connected it and it booted first try. I let it set and tried again (several times) and it booted first time everytime. Looks like the ROMs were bad. Later I'll connect the scope to be sure I have activity on all the pins. I don't know what ROMs I'm using because I got them from my parts box. But it's just a spare board anyway.

The only bad news is I broke one of the legs off one of the Stern ROMs - it stuck in the IC socket. Looks like I need to replace the U2 socket on the Stern board.

Since I have a new scope I plan on taking the old one apart to see if I can fix it.

More stuff to do.

Bob

#73 4 years ago

Quench, Going back to post 20 - now my scope is working. Yellow probe on VR1 and blue on CR5. Scan is from the Bally.

Is this what we're looking for?

Bob

bally 01 (resized).jpgbally 01 (resized).jpg
    #75 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

No way to get the pin out with tweezers?

Only about half of the leg broke off in the socket. I got it out but the socket pin is bent and probably won't make good contact.

Quoted from Quench:

If you have a faulty chip, cut one of the legs where it comes out of the plastic and solder it onto the broken pin stub on that Stern ROM.

Someone suggested a long time ago to insert the chip into a machine pin socket and solder the broken leg to the socket. Since I had half the leg still in place, that worked pretty good.

Quoted from Quench:

one of the ROM sockets suspect?

Please don't say that. I hate the thought of working on that Bally board. Unlike the Stern where I just removed the socket and didn't lose any pads. I just have to clean it up and remove the solder from the holes.

Which reminds me, how do you remove the left over solder from the thru-holes? Desoldering gun?

Quoted from Quench:

Note you're getting a hell of a lot of noise on the blue signal (banded side of diode CR5). Maybe a grounding issue with the scopes probe?

I suspect the grounding issue. The ground wires on the probes are very short. So I connect a jumper wire to the TP4 - then connect both probes to the jumper wire. That's the best solution I could come up with.

Quoted from Quench:

Hook up one of the scope probes to pin 40 of the CPU

It wouldn't be easy to connect the probe to pin 40 without just holding it there. It would be easier to connect the probe to something and have my hands free. Would connecting to R139 do the same thing?

I'll play with it tomorrow.

Thanks

Bob

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Question is also whether reseating the ROMs essentially got it working

Maybe I should try the Bally ROMs in the Stern board and see if I get the same problem. I'll try that after I get the Stern board back together.

Bob

By the way - Amazon didn't ask for the old oscilloscope to be returned. Maybe after I get these MPUs sorted out I may dig into the old scope. That should be interesting. I'll keep you posted.

#78 4 years ago

Quench, did you ever think about becoming a brain surgeon?

#79 4 years ago

Most of the day was spent cleaning up the Stern board to install the new socket at U2. Once that was done I installed the ROMs and tested - OK. Then I put the old Bally ROMs in and tested. Same results as I was getting on the Bally - solid on for the first few times then it booted. I'm sure now those ROMs were the problem.

Then time for the fun stuff. I connected the yellow probe to R139 and blue to TP5. The first scan is the Bally - 4.00 ms and 5V per division. Second scan is Stern. I couldn't get the top of the blue trace in at 5V so I changed it to 10V per division.

I think this is what we were looking for. Looks like the 5V is steady before the R139 kicks in. My question is why does the 5V look so high? Looks like the yellow trace is topped out at 5V but the blue trace looks like 15 volts on the Bally and over 30 volts on the Stern. I would have thought both the yellow and the blue would top out at 5V.

This stuff is so interesting.

Thanks

Bob

IMG_3932 (resized).JPGIMG_3932 (resized).JPGbally 02 (resized).jpgbally 02 (resized).jpgstern 02 (resized).jpgstern 02 (resized).jpg
    #80 4 years ago

I remember reading this part of PinWiki years ago –

” The purpose of the reset circuit is to ensure the +5 vdc is stable before allowing the system to start. At startup, the reset signal is held low via pull-down resistor R139 until the +12 vdc line rises above the zener diode VR1's value (8.2 or 9.1 volts depending on your board). At this time, the input voltage threshold for the +5 regulator on the solenoid driver board has been met with some headroom. Q1 starts conducting, turning on Q5, which provides the actual reset signal. All of this happens in approximately 50 milliseconds.”

Today (especially with the oscilloscope demonstration above) That’s beginning to make sense.

PinWiki says it happens in approximately 50 milliseconds. Looking at my scope it happens in 8 milliseconds. Am I not seeing something?

You guys have taught me a lot.

Thanks

Bob

#85 4 years ago

My hat’s off to you guys that put that PinWiki together. That had to be a heck of a lot of work and it’s very educational and well done. I often go back and re-read some of the information that didn’t make sense years ago.

I remember seeing an oscilloscope for the first time (must have been in the 60’s). Small round green tube. I didn’t have a clue what I was looking at but was amazed that I was seeing electricity.

As far as the 50 milliseconds is concerned – looking back at the Bally scan – if the timing starts at the beginning of the trace then the timing is closer to 32 milliseconds. It’s 8 milliseconds from the time the 12 volts starts and the 5 volts stabilize.

I noticed the glitch too. There’s also a small glitch at the top of the Stern scan. I thought that was just caused from the on/off switch on the power supply bouncing.

Quench, I think your right that the probes aren’t set correct. I did check the probes themselves and they are both set on 1X. But there is a menu on the scope that also must be set. I’m pretty sure the menu for the yellow probe (channel 1) is set to 1X but not sure about the blue channel. I’ll have to check. Too many menus and settings. I might do that test again – it was fun and interesting.

You’re right the Stern board said Nugent – The Bally board said Evel Knievel. I don’t know what’s in the Bally now but they work. Both boards are spares so if I use them in a game the ROMs will probably need to be changed anyway.

Thanks

Bob

#86 4 years ago

Another experiment. First I checked the probe menu - you were correct. The scope menu probe for channel 2 was set at 10X. I gotta be more careful about that. This scan shows more reasonable levels.

Forget my theory about the time starting 32 milliseconds earlier. I think that's just when the scope starts getting the sample. This scan shows much longer. I think the 8 - 10 milliseconds is the correct time.

Also my theory about the switch bouncing is probably wrong. This scan don't show that glitch. Don't know what caused that on the other test.

You are making me a better oscilloscope user. The first scan tonight looked very fuzzy. I adjusted my grounds and the next scan was much better. Who knows, I may learn to use this thing after all.

Next I'll dig into the old scope.

Thanks

Bob

stern 001 (resized).jpgstern 001 (resized).jpg
    #88 4 years ago

I tore into the old scope tonight. It's definitely not like any MPU I've ever worked on. I may be way out of my league - especially without a schematic. I looked it over for any damaged or broken traces or wires. All looks OK. But this is what I've found so far.

Six of the eight pots have a push-in switch. (see photos below) They are controlled through A and B. It seems that all the A's are common to all switches. The C and D connections are just the pot housing - they are all common and grounded.

It looks like all the G terminals are all connected but not the E's or F's. I haven't traced them down yet. How does a three terminal potentiometer work? (I understand two terminals but not three). I'm thinking E - F - and G are going to the potentiometer. I'm thinking if none of the pots are working the problem may be with the G terminal.

I haven't applied any power yet. I'm a little leary of turning it on with all it's guts laying on the bench. But I guess the next step would be to see if the G's get any power.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get my confidence up.

Bob

IMG_3960a (resized).jpgIMG_3960a (resized).jpgIMG_3959 (resized).JPGIMG_3959 (resized).JPGIMG_3959a (resized).jpgIMG_3959a (resized).jpgIMG_3956 (resized).JPGIMG_3956 (resized).JPG
    #89 4 years ago

I may have found a schematic

https://www.mikrocontroller.net/articles/Datei:Hantek_Tekway_DSO_MSO_hw1007.pdf

See page 8.

Now if I just knew what I was looking at.

#90 4 years ago

Still discovering more - what I been calling a potentiometer is actually an encoder. They are driven by the decoder chips. (I think I'm calling them by the right names). If this is true then the E terminals are also tied together. The E 's and G 's all go to common terminals on the chip. All the F 's go to separate terminals.

PLEASE don't be a bad chip. I've never worked on surface mounted components.

I'll get into it more tomorrow. Now I gotta get some rest before my brain explodes.

If you have any comments, suggestions or advice please let me know.

Thanks

Bob

#93 4 years ago

I don't think this scope has a "factory" reset. You can reset the setup to the previous setup. I've done that several times and it didn't make a difference. Because all the controls are not working I'm thinking it's a power or connection problem.

Quoted from Quench:

then look for common signals to them all and back trace.

That's what I'm working on.

I've looked at that ribbon cable but just didn't know how to disconnect it. It looks fragile.

If I get time tonight I'll dig into it more - I think that schematic might be a big help.

Bob

#95 4 years ago

Thanks Mark, I didn't know that for sure. When I hit default setup the menu says "cancel". That doesn't seem to change anything - maybe because I already have factory settings setup?

I'm just learning to use the "help" button - nice feature.

Bob

#97 4 years ago

I had a little shop time tonight. First I disconnected the ribbon cable - thanks Quench. I would have never figured it out on my own. Having the board not connected makes it much easier to work on.

I traced more connections tonight and made notes as I went. Page 8 of the schematic seems to be spot on - once you figure out what's what on the schematic. To me it's very hard to understand. Also those SMD's are difficult to probe.

Also I need to learn how these encoders / decoders work. Looks like the two outside connectors of the potentiometers are connected to U2 but the center connector connects to another chip (U3). Why? How does that work? Strange.

I also traced the hot lead (?) back to the ribbon connector. So far all the connections are good.

I'm a little reluctant to add power and check traces - those SMD's are so small - It would be easy to touch 2 pins with the probe. Maybe I need a smaller probe.

Thank you

Bob

schematic 1 (resized).JPGschematic 1 (resized).JPG
    #99 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Note, UF2 on that diagram is split into two parts. You've highlighted "UF2A" and if you look above it one of the four yellow blocks is "UF2B".

Why didn't I see that - I know when it says "2A" there should be a "2B". I guess I just didn't look very well. One of the things I wanted to know was the voltage for U2 and where is comes from. Looks like 3.3 VDC at pin 16 - and pin 16 on U4 which is for the switches - and they all seem to work. If I have continuity from pins 16 on U2, U3, and U4 I would think the voltage is present on all 3 chips.

Also it looks like 3.3 comes in on pins 4 and 5 on the ribbon cable.

I'll do more testing tonight.

Thanks

Bob

#100 4 years ago

I just checked and I have continuity on pin 16 on all 4 chips - plus continuity back to ribbon cable pins 4 and 5. If the switches work (U4) then I assume I have power on all chips.

More investigating to do.

It's looking like everything on the board is checking out fine. I'm thinking the weak point is the ribbon cable. I guess I should concentrate on that.

Bob

#102 4 years ago

The switches connected to U2 worked. So U2 (or at least parts of it) is working.

I'm trying to make a road map of the connections. Hopefully this will help me understand what's going on.

I made a screen capture of the switches from page 8 of the schematics. I wanted to get everything on one page so it didn't come out very clear. I circled all the U2 connections and indicated what pin they are going to. The only pattern I see is U2 P4 , P5 and P6 are connected to the non-working pots and not connected to any switches.

The connections not circled are going to U3. But all seven pots center connections are going to seven different pins on U3. Next I'll map out U3.

I'm still studying the datasheet for 4051. So far it's over my head.

Thanks

Bob

front U2 (resized).jpgfront U2 (resized).jpg
    #106 4 years ago

Here's the map for U3. Since the center tap of all the pots are connected to seven different pins on U3 and the fact the the other switches (using the same pins) are working - we can assume U3 is OK. Right?

I sort of understand what's going on with U2 but what I don't understand is what's driving "Enable - C - B - A"? Pins 6 - 9 - 10 - 11. Looks like 9 - 10 - 11 are controlled from U1 (pins 5 - 4 - 3). If pin 9 is held low then the problem could be U1 pin 5?

I can see me using my logic probe in the near future. The problem is powering up that board with all the guts all over the bench.

One last question - if the Enable pin is pin 6 and the schematic shows pin 6 going to ground - how could pin 6 ever go high? Wouldn't that be a short?

You guys are amazing - teaching an old dog new tricks.

Thanks

Bob

front U3 (resized).jpgfront U3 (resized).jpg
    #107 4 years ago

Sense I'm going to be pulling out my logic probe soon, I have a couple of questions. When do you use CMOS and TTL? I know they're for different chips but the chips don't say they are CMOS or TTL. Is there an easy way to determine which setting I should be using?

The other question I always have is where to connect the red clip? When the probe shows HI does that indicate it's higher than where the red clip is connected. If I connect to 5 volts and the probe says HI - does that mean it's above 5 V? And LO means less than 5 V?

Thanks

Bob

#108 4 years ago

One last question tonight - what are these - circled in red. They look like piano keys.

I haven't checked the board - it's after 3 AM and the shop is closed for the night.

I'm thinking some kind of test points.

Thanks

Bob

IMG_3959b (resized).jpgIMG_3959b (resized).jpg
    #112 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Do you remember if any of those push button switches on the pots still worked?

I'm not absolutely sure but I don't think they were working. I seldom use them anyway. And if I can't change the settings, hitting the buttons don't center the settings anyway.

Quoted from Quench:

Actually they are not pots (potentiometers) at all.

I realized that back in post 90 but I have a hard time remembering which is encoder and decoder so I just call them pots and chips. So, there's no resistance value in there at all - It just tracks if it's going up or down. That's neat.

Quoted from Quench:

BUT U1 pin 5 also goes to U1 pin 13 which then controls U3.

I discovered that late last night. It looks like U1 and U3 might be OK. More and more U2 is looking suspect.

I know just enough about logic probes (and oscilloscopes) to be dangerous. Need more training. I haven't seen that Sparkfun tutorial but I have read several of their articles.

I may be in trouble with the red logic probe clip. I don't see anywhere on this board to attach it to get power. I was hoping those piano keys were test points (so I could get power) but it looks like Mark is right. They are all ground. I guess they are some kind of shied but they don't touch anything. No pads. The board is attached to the front cover and held off the back plate by a quarter inch or so. The LCD screen is held between the front cover and rubber pads.

I'm thinking about using the scope instead of the logic probe. The scope just needs ground.

Quench, I'll get back to you later about your last post - I need to read it a few more times.

Thanks

Bob

#114 4 years ago

This is what I’m understanding – CLR is a signal from the motherboard – CLK is like a ratchet (next , next , next). U1 is like a traffic cop – he’s directing where to send the signal and where to receive the signal. He sends the signal out to U3 who send it to the proper switch (according to the directions from U1). The signal is read at U2 (again according to the directions from U1). Then the signal is send back to the motherboard. Once the signal is received the motherboard tells CLK to go to the next.

This is the logic probe I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Electronics-LP-560-Logic-Probe/dp/B000Z9HAP4/ref=asc_df_B000Z9HAP4/

It says voltage range 4 to 18 volts. I don’t think it will work on 3.3 V either.

Once I get the board back in and connected I’ll check it with the scope. The ribbon cable connecting the board is just long enough to reach. Not much room to spread it out. I’ll have to work in close quarters.

I have thought about (and worried about) attempting replacing that chip. This will NOT be easy. I have never worked on surface mounted components – let alone a 16 pin IC chip. It’s like jumping into the deep end. Any suggestions, comments, or lessons will be greatly appreciated. From anyone.

I know the chip is cheap but the shipping cost is outrageous. Anyone have a suggestion on where to buy this chip?

As far as Amazon and I are concerned we’re even. They never asked for a return. If they ask now I’ll just dump everything into a box and send it back – at their expense. I don’t think they’ll ask.

Thanks

Bob

#116 4 years ago

I found I have more room to work if I pull the ribbon cable out to the front and connect the board there.

I tested U2 - pins 1 - 2 - 3 show activity and the trace on the scope is moving around. Pins 4 - 5 shows a trace on the scope but it don't move like the first 3.

Photo 1 shows pin 4. Photo 2 is pin 5.

Bob

pic_8_1 (resized).jpgpic_8_1 (resized).jpgpic_8_2 (resized).jpgpic_8_2 (resized).jpg
    #117 4 years ago

I tested the encoder - the voltage seems to change 5.12 to 4.81 when I turn the pot. It's kinda difficult to do when I have to turn the pot, hold the probe and control the scope. I'll try again later - Dinner time.

Bob

#118 4 years ago

Wish you were here.

#123 4 years ago

Glad you guys are on line - I just wish you were both here in my shop - I'd learn something.

Quoted from Quench:

Can you take a snapshot of the CLK signal at U1 pin 1 showing the full cycle of 63 odd ratchet clicks?

This scope has run/stop. Would that get me the full cycle?

I also have save / recall.

#124 4 years ago

U1 pin 1

pic_9_1 (resized).jpgpic_9_1 (resized).jpg
    #126 4 years ago

Could this be one full cycle? I was expecting 63 cycles.

#127 4 years ago

This is U1 p1 - it's saved in scope memory.

I don't see the pause.

pic_9_2 (resized).jpgpic_9_2 (resized).jpg
    #132 4 years ago

I thought when I save it to scope memory I could recall it and change the settings. For some reason it won't do that.

U1 P1 at 400 us:

pic_9_3 (resized).jpgpic_9_3 (resized).jpg
    #133 4 years ago

Mark you're right - scope setting was on 10X - probe was 1X.

#135 4 years ago

I thought single seq. would catch all pulses but it didn't - I'll try again.

#137 4 years ago

when I hit save/recall it says Ref - Setup - CSV . what should I be using. I thought Ref.

#140 4 years ago

When I recall (see post 127) I can change the horz and vert settings but it don't change the graph on the screen.

#141 4 years ago

When I hit F7 it does allow me to change the window but when I hit F7 I loose the graph.

#142 4 years ago

U1 P1 single seq.

pic_9_4 (resized).jpgpic_9_4 (resized).jpgpic_9_5 (resized).jpgpic_9_5 (resized).jpg
    #144 4 years ago

I think this is it

pic_9_6 (resized).jpgpic_9_6 (resized).jpg
    #148 4 years ago

I count 3 pulses down - 24 up

pic_9_7 (resized).jpgpic_9_7 (resized).jpg
    #149 4 years ago

ground is probably not the best but there isn't much to connect to.

IMG_3995 (resized).JPGIMG_3995 (resized).JPGIMG_3987 (resized).JPGIMG_3987 (resized).JPG
    #152 4 years ago

if I change the sweep time I think we'll lose the pulses.

Instead I moved the window and got 4 shots.

pic_9_8 (resized).jpgpic_9_8 (resized).jpgpic_9_9 (resized).jpgpic_9_9 (resized).jpgpic_9_10 (resized).jpgpic_9_10 (resized).jpgpic_9_11 (resized).jpgpic_9_11 (resized).jpg
    #155 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

You're going to need to connect both oscilloscope probes. Ch1 on U2 pin 9 and Ch2 on U2 pin 3.

Both at the same time?

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Yes both at the same time

I knew you'd say that.

It MAY be possible for me to hold both probes at the same time (not easy but possible) but I can't press the save button. Maybe my wife can push it but it'll have to wait - she went to bed already.

I'll need to set the time base and voltage before I attempt this. Any idea what I'll need to set it at?

Ever think you guys would be teaching long distance? The education I'm getting is amazing.

Thanks guys.

Bob

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

What about a third probe?

Pushing the record button would be about her limit.

What are you doing tomorrow? How soon can you get here?

#164 4 years ago

I’m not in the shop yet.

Didn’t we decide the problem is probably U2 P9 (C) is being held low causing X4, X5, X6 not to work properly. If I check U2 pins 9 , 10 , 11 and they all show basically the same Then can we assume U1 is doing its job? And if I compare U2 P9 ,10,11 to U3 P9, 10,11 and they look about the same also means U1 is working?

If everything looks right on those pins – then the problem has to be in U2. Right?

Quench, to answer your question from a while back – No, I don’t have a hot air gun. Expensive tool for just one job and I doubt I’ll work on SMDs again (I hope). I was thinking of using ChipQuick. The problem I see is installing the new chip. Holding it in place while soldering the legs. Would BluTack (silly putty stuff) or temperature resistant tape work?

I’m heading down to the shop soon.

Bob

#165 4 years ago

U2 P9:

pic_10_7 (resized).jpgpic_10_7 (resized).jpg

U2 P10:

pic_10_8 (resized).jpgpic_10_8 (resized).jpg

U2 P11:

pic_10_9 (resized).jpgpic_10_9 (resized).jpg

U3 P9:

pic_12_1 (resized).jpgpic_12_1 (resized).jpg

U3 P10:

pic_12_2 (resized).jpgpic_12_2 (resized).jpg

U3 P11:

pic_12_3 (resized).jpgpic_12_3 (resized).jpg

It looks like (to me) we have activity on all those pins. They are getting their signal from U1. So we can assume U1 is working. We can also assume U3 is working because all switches going through U3 are working.

Could it be something in U2 is causing "C" to be held low? Or something in U2 is broken and not letting the signal get out?

I'm no expert but this is just my guess.

Bob

#166 4 years ago

U2 P1:

pic_13_1 (resized).jpgpic_13_1 (resized).jpg

U2 P2:

pic_13_2 (resized).jpgpic_13_2 (resized).jpg

U2 P3:

pic_13_3 (resized).jpgpic_13_3 (resized).jpg

U2 P5:

pic_13_4 (resized).jpgpic_13_4 (resized).jpg

I don't know if this means anything but the traces on P1, P2, P3 seems to be moving - like it's constantly changing. The trace on P5 is never changing. It's the same every time I test it. Does that tell us anything?

Bob

#169 4 years ago

I've read over all the posts regarding this scope and this is about the best advise.

Quoted from Quench:

At the end of the day, there's 3 surface mount chips controlling these switches/encoders and U2 on the board is the first suspect with its "C" input pin potentially not working.
    One way or another Bob probably needs to replace it and if unsuccessful maybe the other chips. If replacing the 3 chips doesn't fix it then it's potentially an issue at the FPGA 1 chip on the main board which could mean it's game over.

What I need to do is order some 4051's and 393's. They're cheap so I'll get several incase I screw some up. But there must be a zillion different sizes and shapes of them available. I have no clue what I need to order.

Below are some photos and some rough measurements. Can someone please tell me what to order?

Thanks

Bob

S20191028_0003 (resized).jpgS20191028_0003 (resized).jpgU1 size (resized).jpgU1 size (resized).jpgU2 size (resized).jpgU2 size (resized).jpg
    #172 4 years ago

Here's a couple more photos. I'm pretty sure it's soldered securely. I think that's glare from the lights.

I do have a micrometer but it was easier to get in there with my vernier caliper. The drawings above were the best I could do. (dang, that's small)

I agree the TSSOP is the best match. But when I went to order it, it don't say what package. Just see data sheet - and that shows dozens of sizes.

Is Mouser the best supplier? Where would you order from?

Thanks

Bob

IMG_3975 (resized).JPGIMG_3975 (resized).JPGS20191028_0006 (resized).jpgS20191028_0006 (resized).jpg
    #174 4 years ago

Thanks Dave

I think I bought from Mouser before but their site is very confusing for a dummy like me - Seems like a great place for professionals though.

I might look a digi-key.

Bob

#175 4 years ago

I just looked at digi-key - 5,151 items (207 pages)

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/integrated-circuits-ics/interface-analog-switches-multiplexers-demultiplexers/747?k=&pkeyword=&sv=0&sf=0&FV=-8%7C747&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&pageSize=25

I guess a real professional could filter out what he needs - but I have no idea what to look for.

Mouser is about the same.

We need an electronics store for dummies.

#176 4 years ago

I think it’s more complicated to find the correct part than to figure out what part is bad.

Here’s the 4051 that I think I need.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/595-CD74HC4051QPWRQ1

The specifications show Package/Case = TSSOP-16. The data sheet shows TSSOP-16 is pretty close to my measurements. I think this is the correct part.

Here’s the 393 that I think I need.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/595-SN74HC393PWR

The specifications show Package/Case = TSSOP-14. But the data sheet doesn’t show TSSOP-14. The data sheet shows PW (R-PDSO-G14). Which is pretty close to my measurements. (See screen scan). Is this the correct part? Is PW (R-PDSO-G14) the same as TSSOP-14?

You guys that do this every day are amazing.

Thanks

Bob

393 case (resized).JPG393 case (resized).JPG
    #181 4 years ago

Thanks Quench,

I've ordered 6 each of the 4051 parts and 3 each of the 393 parts. I'm afraid if I drop one I'll loose it.

mouser (resized).JPGmouser (resized).JPG

I have one of those magnifying lamps but could never get used to using it. I'll let you know how the glasses work.

amazon (resized).JPGamazon (resized).JPG

Working outdoors is out of the question now. We're coming into winter here - high today was 45* F - next week we're looking at 30's and 40's.

Quoted from mbwalker:

Removing/replacing the 4051 should be rather painless.

I hope you're right. I've watched dozens of videos. My plan is to use ChipQuik to remove the old part - never used it before but it looks pretty easy.

You, Quench, and everyone suggests tacking down the corners first. My concern is holding the part in place while I tack it down. I've had good success using Blu Tack (it's like silly putty) to hold headers straight and IC sockets flat. I'm hoping to use it to hold the part in place while I tack the corners. Or maybe use the heat tape.

The solder I use is Kester 63/37 .031. I've had good luck using it. Do they make a thinner solder?

Many people have said that surface mounted is easier and faster than thru-hole. I guess it depends on how many you screw up.

Thanks guys. I'll let you know when the parts arrive. Maybe you all can stop by and show me how easy it is.

Bob

#185 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

If you're really worried about it, just buy this and practice first: A few dollars, and money well spent to calm your nerves.

On order - thanks

Quoted from Quench:

ChipQuik seems to be a brand of a range of products. Which one are you referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019UZP7I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6

Quoted from mbwalker:

0.031" solder - give it a try and make sure you don't short between pins. Smaller might be better, but 0.031 is definitely OK.

I just found 0.015 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076GHCZZ1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2

I think it's the same as what I been using but thinner.

Quoted from Quench:

If it's not too late get the thinnest solder wick you can. My personal experience is I always found it performed better for dealing with surface mount stuff - it robs less heat from the iron and is easier to manage. The wick I've always used is about 1mm thick.

That's strange - I have some solder wick (Radio Shack I think). I always complained it was too thin and don't absorb much solder.

Thanks guys - maybe I can do this.

Bob

#186 4 years ago

Here's Dave using ChipQuik.

#190 4 years ago

What worries me most about the ChipQuik is that it mixes with the solder so every bit of it must be removed before attaching the new part.

Mark suggested a while back to use two soldering irons. I might give that a try first.

On thru-hole parts I usually set my iron to 650*F (344*C) Should I use less heat for SMD parts?

I'm looking forward to getting those glasses and practice board.

Maybe this weekend.

Thanks

Bob

#192 4 years ago

Parts from Mouser arrived today. When I opened them my first thought was they sent the wrong parts. These are way too small. Then I went to the shop and compared them - nope - they're the correct parts OK. I sure hope those magnifying glasses work.

The problem today is we have machines that can do this sort of stuff that a human can't do.

We'll see.

Bob

IMG_3997 (resized).JPGIMG_3997 (resized).JPGIMG_4003 (resized).JPGIMG_4003 (resized).JPGS20191107_0002 (resized).jpgS20191107_0002 (resized).jpgS20191107_0003 (resized).jpgS20191107_0003 (resized).jpg
    #196 4 years ago

This guy makes it look so easy.

He says "piece of cake"

#198 4 years ago

One of my biggest concerns is lifting a pad. My track record hasn't been very good lately. A lifted pad on this board would be game over. I doubt it could ever be repaired. I'm leaning toward Mark's suggestion of using two irons.

I plan on working on the practice board a lot when it gets here. Both installing and removing parts. Also thinking very seriously about using the Blu-Tack to hold the IC's in place. I'm not too sure I'm steady enough to hold it.

Bob

#199 4 years ago

I received the magnifier glasses today. My first impression so far - You can't use both lenses at the same time. You have to close one eye. This may or may not be a problem but you can't get stereo vision. The biggest problem I see is the focal length is very short. About 1.5 inches (38 mm) with the 10X lense. The 25X is even shorter. (Hope I don't burn my nose). And you can't adjust the length. I would have prefered more like 6 inches focal length.

I haven't tried these under actual workbench conditions yet. The practice board should be here tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OK0MAX6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01

Bob

#200 4 years ago

I've never been a very patient person. Went to the shop tonight to try the new glasses. They'll work great for inspection work but not so good for working under. The focal length is just too short.

While I was there I decided to try the two solder irons to remove the old chip. Both irons set on 500*F. Just didn't seem to get hot enough. I tried several times but I couldn't get it loose.

Plan B was the ChipQuik. I buttered it up with their paste and added the solder. It came right off. I picked up the solder blobs with the iron tip and cleaned it with solder wick. Then I washed it with alcohol. It looked pretty clean and I don't see any damage.

After looking at the photos I see a couple of specks of solder on pins 8 and 16. Tomorrow I'll hit those again with the solder wick.

One small step for man - one giant leap for Bob.

Thanks

Bob

S20191109_0004 (resized).jpgS20191109_0004 (resized).jpg
    #204 4 years ago

I spent most of the day working on the practice board. Dang those parts are small. First attempt was a couple of diodes. There're round and very hard to hold in place. I have some flux paste that (I think) has solder in it. That seemed to work a little better on the small parts. I also tried different soldering tips.

S20191110_0008 (resized).jpgS20191110_0008 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0009 (resized).jpgS20191110_0009 (resized).jpg

Then I tried some capacitors and resistors. Not much better. I need a lot of practice.

S20191110_0002 (resized).jpgS20191110_0002 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0010 (resized).jpgS20191110_0010 (resized).jpg

Next I tried one of the IC's. I followed Dave's video and it came out pretty good.

S20191110_0011 (resized).jpgS20191110_0011 (resized).jpg

So far I've found the round chisel point tip works pretty good for me - especially on the IC. The flux paste (with solder) works good on the small parts but I don't think it would work on the IC's. Liquid flux worked fine. I've always soldered by heating the part and the pad and adding solder. That don't work so well with these parts. So I add the solder to the tip then touch the the joint. The 0.015 solder is small but the 0.031 works just as well with this method.

I'm going to practice more the next couple of days then maybe I'll be ready to tackle the real work.

Thanks

Bob

#206 4 years ago

That's pretty much what I been doing. And I'm getting better at holding the parts in place with the tweezers but I was worrying that the component was not touching the pad - being held up off the surface with the tweezers. But after thinking about it, maybe that's not a problem as long as I have solder under it and it's secured. Where I was getting in trouble was when I soldered the part in place and then I'd go back and reflow to be sure the component was down. I definitely need more practice.

I was amazed at how easy the chip went. Maybe just beginners luck. I had a couple of bridges but just hit it with the iron and picked it up. Didn't even need solder wick.

Bob

#209 4 years ago

I have always been intimidated by SMD's. I remember when those Chinese component testers came out and I wanted one. But they were all kits with a bunch of surface mounted components. I didn't get one till they came out with assembled testers.

If (at my age) I can do it anyone can do it. It just takes some practice.

#213 4 years ago

Thanks Mark, I've seen those caps crumble before.

Today I worked again on the practice board. I tried some IC's.

S20191111_0005 (resized).jpgS20191111_0005 (resized).jpg

I was feeling comfortable so I went for the real thing. It went on good except I got a solder bridge. I worked on it for an hour trying different solder tips - different solder wicks - different fluxes. I just can't seem to clean the bridge so I quit for the night.

The problem might be all three legs ( 6 - 7 - 8 ) are ground and look to be connected to a ground plane. I have extra IC's (4051's). Would you replace the chip or just let it go?

Thanks

Bob

S20191111_0010 (resized).jpgS20191111_0010 (resized).jpgS20191111_0011 (resized).jpgS20191111_0011 (resized).jpg
    #215 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Last thing you want to do is overcook the chip with the iron.

I hope I haven't already done that. I messed with it quite a while.

#217 4 years ago

Tomorrow I'll check my work and put it together.

#219 4 years ago

I checked my work and assembled it enough to test. Same results. None of the pots (encoders) work. I did check the switches on the pots and they 'seem' to work. At least some of them do - it's hard to tell because most switches just center the cursor and I can't move the cursor to un-center it.

I may have overcooked the 4051 trying to remove the solder bridge. I have plenty of 4051's and 393's. Next I'll replace the U2 and U1 but it's looking like I have just got a parts scope.

Bob

#221 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I doubt if you fried it.

I agree especially since it's still doing the same thing.

But what the heck - I got the chips and I don't have anything else to do - There's snow and ice on the ground and it's 12*F outside.

I just hate that we didn't fix it after all the work you guys put into this.

#223 4 years ago

Not so. You, Quench, Andrew and everyone have have contributed to this project. And not done yet. I just feel certain the problem is on this board and not the main board. Everything seems to work except those darn encoders.

Today I replaced U1 - no change.

I keep going back to what Mark said back in post 105.

Quoted from mbwalker:

it would be the C line is stuck low.

Except X5 does seem to respond. The push switch for VO is working but the encoder is not working.

What would keep the other lines (X4 and X6) stuck low? (X7 is not used).

I just noticed that every one of those non working lines has a diode. None of the other lines have diodes. I know a bad diode in a pinball game can cause all kinds of problems. ???

Thanks - you guys have been a great help

Bob

#225 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

There is one way to find out... That is if you're prepared to swap boards with your new scope..

Believe me I've thought of that. But I just can't force myself to open that brand new scope.

Quoted from Quench:

Test them all in circuit with your multi-meter.

That's first on my to-do list.

Quoted from Quench:

does the reading change between open circuit and closed circuit as you rotate the encoder?

Not sure what you mean?

Thanks

Bob

#226 4 years ago

I was looking over the photos of this board and found a bunch of resistors and transistors (?) that are not shown on the schematic. I count 8 transistors and there are 8 encoders. But they're around the LED's. But there's only 7 pair of LEDs that I can find.

What are they?
    Where did they come from?
    What do they do?

Maybe this isn't the correct schematic?

Could that be the cause of this problem?

Bob

IMG_3969a (resized).jpgIMG_3969a (resized).jpgIMG_3978 (resized).JPGIMG_3978 (resized).JPG
    #227 4 years ago

In the first group on the upper right there are 3 circles with 4 transistors but there's only 3 LEDs behind them.

Bob

#229 4 years ago

I got it. Should the B and A be opposite? - B closed and A open?

I'll trace those transistors to see when they go. Wonder why they aren't on the schematic?

Wrong Schematic?

Bob

#231 4 years ago

Todays findings:

Most of the diodes read .55 in one direction and .89 in the other direction. One diode read .55 and .72. On two decoders the diodes read .55 and OL (all 4 diodes). All diodes are marked "T4".

The transistors are marked 3EM followed by ":6 " - the :6 is rotated 90*. I haven't traced what they are connected to but they are all just above the LEDs.

The decoders were very strange. When first connected the meter reads OL - when I turn the pot it jumps to 20-30 M ohms then quickly goes back to OL. I tried 3 encoders and got the same results. Same results connected to center/right and center/left. At no time did I get a steady short.

Bob

#235 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I doubt if you would have multiple diode failures.

I agree. I was hoping to find a diode with a dead short in both directions.

Quoted from Quench:

If you rotate these two encoders, does the OL reading go away?

I tested those diodes several times with the same results. I didn't think about rotating the encoders until after I was done for the night. I'll try again tomorrow and this time I'll rotate the encoder.

Quoted from Quench:

The encoders click as you turn them right?

There is very little click (if any). My solder station has an encoder with a very noticeable click - but not on these. Also the encoders on the new scope feel the same - no click.

I tried three encoders (several times) and never saw a closed circuit. The meter starts OL then jumps up then right back to OL. Not at all what I expected from the animation. I'm probing right on the decoders - after the diodes. Exactly where you pointed to in the photo. Even the same three decoders.

Bob

#237 4 years ago

I have not replaced all 3 chips - only U1 and U2.

Quoted from Quench:

Then toggle a short with a screw driver a few times between pin A to pin C

That sounds dangerous. But I'm willing to give it a try.

I'll let you know tomorrow.

Thanks

Bob

#238 4 years ago

No shop time today but I do have some news. A while back I contacted Hantek about getting this oscilloscope repaired or obtaining parts. They finally responded. The guy told me I needed a new "keyboard" and he would send me one for $8.00 plus shipping. I asked for a description of "keyboard" - photo or drawing. If he's referring to the Front Panel Circuit board, that we been working on, I'm all for it. So far he hasn't gotten back to me. But it is the weekend in China. We'll see.

Bob

#240 4 years ago

Things must move at a much slower pace in China. I have been in contact with Hantek for almost a week and still have not resolved the situation. One thing he suggested was to remove the ribbon cable and switch it end for end. I tried that but still no luck. He said he would send me a new "keyboard and cable" but I had to pay shipping - $25.00. I asked about replacing the main board but he said if the "keyboard" don't fix it that I must send it in for repair - A new main board is $177.00. I agreed to pay the 25.00 shipping and he said to pay it with PayPal to some 'hotmail' account. Does that sound fishy? Besides, I don't have a PayPal account (and don't want one). I asked for an invoice with request for payment so I could pay with a credit card. That was 24 hours ago and haven't heard back.

I'll keep you posted.

Bob

#243 4 years ago

Jethro, That's very kind of you to offer your help. But it made me think - a good friend of mine (and fellow pinballer) most likely has PayPal. I just sent him a message. If he has an account he will help (besides he owes me).

Thanks

Bob

Quoted from Quench:

To be honest them using a hotmail account doesn't surprise me much.

It just seemed strange that they have their own website (hantek.com) and their own email ([email protected]) that they would use hotmail for their PayPal account.

I checked shipping from China and 25.00 is not unreasonable. Especially if I get the parts quickly and it fixes the problem

It makes me wonder how these places in China sell stuff on Ebay for a couple of dollars and have free shipping? However, most of that stuff takes 6 - 8 weeks delivery - slow boat from China?

Bob

#246 4 years ago

This may be the end of our oscilloscope fun. I’ve had my replacement scope for over 4 weeks and after a week of correspondence with Hantek about getting replacement parts, Amazon just requested that I must send back the old scope. I’m not saying that Hantek and Amazon have been colluding (it’s probably just a coincidence) but they never mentioned a return until today.

I asked Amazon what if I already threw it out. They said they’d charge me the full price for not returning the old unit.

The sad part is all the work we’ve put into this repair (and some expense) is all for nothing. Well, maybe not all for nothing - I have learned a lot the past few weeks.

Thank you all for your kindness and lessons.

Bob

#252 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

It's been a valuable thread. Even I've learnt from it.

If Quench learned from this thread then we have truly accomplished something.

Maybe we didn't fix the scope but if everyone walks away knowing a little more than before, then I don't feel bad at all.

Quoted from JethroP:

What I learned was that I don't ever want to replace surface mount components! Especially those IC's!

If I can do it I'm sure you can also. Yes, I was forced into it but now I'm not so intimidated. At least that was a big win.

Quoted from mbwalker:

I think we managed to to convert Bob.

I'm not a convert yet - I still prefer thru hole but at least I know I can do it.

Thanks

Bob

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mpu-100-don-t-boot-on-first-try?tu=oldschoolbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.