(Topic ID: 253732)

MPU 100 Don't boot on first try

By oldschoolbob

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Oscilloscope_FrontPanelSwitches_3a.jpg
    IMG_3978 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3969a (resized).jpg
    S20191111_0011 (resized).jpg
    S20191111_0010 (resized).jpg
    S20191111_0005 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    S20191110_0011 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0002 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0010 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0009 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0008 (resized).jpg
    S20191109_0004 (resized).jpg
    S20191107_0003 (resized).jpg
    S20191107_0002 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4003 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 4 years ago

Hey Bob,

What model of Hantek do you have?

The scope indicates you are measuring 128V? By chance do you have the probe setting to 'X1' and not 'X10'?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #43 4 years ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

Hi Mark,
    It's DSO5072P.
    Good catch - it was set on 10X.
    But the problem is none of the knobs are working.
    Bob

I know, but one thing at a time. If the attenuator is set wrong, you could saturate the AtoD, causing the vertical scale to potentially look like it was not working. Granted, the other functions (i.e. time base) should have still worked.

Is anything working on the front panel? Buttons OK?

BTW, I have the same scope. Wonder if it is just a loose connector.

I'll see if I can round up a schematic too. is it still under warranty?

#45 4 years ago

Bob,

There might be some interesting tidbits of info for the DSO5702P here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hantek-dso5072p-oscilloscope-channel-1-drift/msg1840220/#msg1840220

Doesn't specifically address your issue directly, but it shows some voltage test points which might come in handy if you have to fix.

Also, I believe you can control the scope via the usb. It would be interesting if you can still do that.

#49 4 years ago

How old is your scope?

I thought of that. I have a laptop next to the scope but I've never connected the two. Have you?
    Thanks
    Bob

Mines probably two years old. Still impresses me for what you can get nowadays for not a lot of money. There is a simple mod if you ever wanted to expand the bandwidth to 200MHz. I think it's just a resistor removal or add. Doubt if you would ever need that for a pin tho. If you look for the video to mod it, you might get an idea of what's inside and maybe spot a cable that if you took yours apart, could check. Don't do it if you think it's still under warranty tho. Don't want to void it.

USB: I'm pretty sure I tried it once, or at least watched the video. No real interest in actually using that feature, so didn't give it much more than a passing thought.

Your AutoSet button changing the scale is an interesting comment. I'll have to think about that. It looks like there's and input board, and I'm thinking the control panel might be a separate board? I'd dig up the 200MHz mod video and check it out.

#50 4 years ago

Here's the inside from the 200Mhz mod video:

Looks like a power supply board in the image.

#57 4 years ago

...supervisor he said they will replace it - it should be here Saturday. We'll see.
    Bob

Good for you Bob!

#58 4 years ago

Bob,

Adding to Barack's comments: Here's a good thread on cleaning battery acid off a PWB.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stripping-battery-corrosion-with-a-strong-acid/page/2#post-5270047

#60 4 years ago

The problem I’m having (as did the previous owner) is the solder pads keep falling off when I remove anything. Especially when there’s no trace connected. That requires soldering on the top or stitching. It seems that the glue used to adhere the pads to the board has dried out. I've noticed several missing pads from the previous owner.
    Bob[quoted image]

Thanks for the kind words, many more smarter people here than me. I'm still just a newbie.

As a precaution, make sure the iron isn't too hot. If you're energetic, I think they make 'rivets' (for lack of a better word) that can be used to fix a broken via pad (assuming it's just a two layer board). We use them them for when we route prototype designs, but not for thru hole parts since we use surface mounted parts exclusively. We use them to ties traces together between layers.

In many years prior, we actually repaired loose traces with glue. This was an acceptable practice at the time, and worked rather well. Don't recall what glue we used, but I think it was an epoxy. Of course, we were very careful soldering on the repaired traces - but they did hold.

#62 4 years ago

Thanks Mark, I have seen that thread before. barakandl started that thread years ago.
    Bob

LOL, I didn't even notice he started that thread. No doubt, I didn't pour it down the drain...or even have it in the house. Didn't need a lot of ZEP, just brushed some on, then rinsed well in the yard. Wore safety glasses, old clothes, and gloves too!

#94 4 years ago

I don't think this scope has a "factory" reset...

The 'Default Setup' button is the factory reset (for what it's worth)...

#96 4 years ago

Thanks Mark, I didn't know that for sure. When I hit default setup the menu says "cancel". That doesn't seem to change anything - maybe because I already have factory settings setup?
    I'm just learning to use the "help" button - nice feature.
    Bob

Just pressing the button sets it to default. I assume 'Cancel' will return it to the prior setting. If you were already at default settings, then I suppose it looks like it didn't do anything.

#103 4 years ago

Bob,

The 4051 is pretty straightforward. Depending on the the level on A,B,C lines, it will select one of the X0-X7 inputs/outputs and connect it to the X (common) pin. Let's say you want the signal to go from X3 to the X (common), you would set Enable to low, set Select C, B, A to low, high, high (respectively). I highlighted this below in red and yellow. Want the X0 to X (common) connection? Set Enable to low, set C, B, A to low, low low - and so forth. Don't want any connections? Set the Enable to High to disable all the switches. You can have only one (or none) connection (i.e. you can't have X1, X2 on at the same time).

Think of it this way: It's just 8 switches (X0-X7) that go to a common connection (X). To pick what switch you want, set the the Select (i.e. the address) C, B, A appropriately along with having the Enable low.

#105 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Thanks for that Mark, you saved me some typing
    Bob, now with that info and the fact that X4, X5 and X6 at U2 are having problems (X7 isn't connected), do you see anything that's common to them based on the function table in Marks picture?

To answer your question Quench, it would be the C line is stuck low.

Maybe that was a test for Bob? LOL Sorry if it was...

#110 4 years ago

One last question tonight - what are these - circled in red. They look like piano keys.
    I haven't checked the board - it's after 3 AM and the shop is closed for the night.
    I'm thinking some kind of test points.
    Thanks
    Bob[quoted image]

That trace appears to be ground. Its likely for a RF connection to a shield or cover. EMI or similar type of connection. Look at where that board goes and check for fingestock, conductive foam, etc. Either it lowers an emission or grounds a RF hot spot on the board.

#120 4 years ago

Wish you were here.

Even tho Quench has been steering this ship...I feel a little left out here. LOL!

But you're in good hands...

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Please jump in if you have some extra insight or need to correct me

Nah, other than my simpleton comments about the 4051 and the EMI shielding, I haven't been following the thread very closely. You're doing a great job!

#129 4 years ago

This is U1 p1 - it's saved in scope memory.
    I don't see the pause.[quoted image]

Adjust the sweep time longer to catch all 63 cycles. Use the Single Seq button to catch the start of the 63 pulses. It will only trigger once (it won't keep sweeping). Make sure you set the trigger level to catch a real pulse (like you did above - that's probably OK other than you might have the x1 x10 setting wrong).

Sorry if I missed something, just butting in here for a few while I got a free sec.

#130 4 years ago

FYI: The Single Seq button makes the scope only trigger once, it won't keep sweeping. So one it triggers at xx volts, it does a full sweep and stops. And it won't sweep until the input goes above the trigger level. If the time base isn't long enough (i.e to catch all 63 cycles), then you won't be able to count the pulses Quench is referring to. If you slow it down, then you should be be able to see all the pulses.

Make sense?

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

...I presume Bob will be able to zoom in time wise on the recording?

I have the same Hantek DSO5072P Bob has. I wasn't worried about Bob zooming in - thought that might muddy the waters. But yes, he could do that.

#138 4 years ago

Bob, try hitting the F7 button. I think that allows opening up a window to zoom in. i.e. does a longer sweep and you can still zoom in to examine closely.

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

BTW, change the time base to 4.0us, not 400us.

At 4.0us Sec/Div, how many "screen fulls" of data could it record?

Not sure how much memory it has.

#143 4 years ago

Bob,

F7 is hiding here:

You can see the wider sweep up top, but still zoom in below via the red brackets.

#146 4 years ago

I think this is it[quoted image]

Looks like you are getting there. Now increase the sweep time to catch the number of pulses you are interested in.

Is the scope probe ground connected? You have some noise on that trace.

#147 4 years ago

Looking at your screen Bob, the complete cycle (on-off-on) is about 1.6uS. x64 = 102.4uS Set you scope to around that for a full sweep and you should see all the pulses Quench is talking about.

#150 4 years ago

Set the sweep time longer to see more pulses if you are trying to count 63 pulses.

#151 4 years ago

Time to call it a night!

#162 4 years ago

Sorry, I'm confused...

Bob is trying to see 63 or 64 clock cycles, correct? Then, ideally, maybe see a delay. Bob's plot below is in the nS range, so the plot he captured is a single clock cycle, no? Why doesn't he increase the sweep time in order to count the pulses?

Might be a moot question if you are try to capture a specific event.

Regardless, finding a proper trigger would be the way to go if he can somehow get a probe on it.

#171 4 years ago

Bob,

Do you have a micrometer? If you cant read the full part number on the IC, then just measure.

#180 4 years ago

Bob,

Removing/replacing the 4051 should be rather painless.

1) First off, note the pin 1 mark, dot, etc.

2) The simplest way to remove is to use two irons with a wider (chisel) tips, or maybe just a normal tip placed at an angle. But not high wattage! It won't need much heat to flow the solder - it's just a little part. You can actually add solder so that it bridges the pins on each side to help transfer the heat. Plus use some 63/37 or 60/40 (lead) solder since the scope is likely RHOS. Lead free solder melts at a high temp is somewhat of a PIA.

3) With an iron on each side and solder melted, the part will easily slide free. Shouldn't damage any traces. Don't force it, it should slide off like butter. Watch out for the bypass chip cap right next to the IC. Thank goodness there's no thermal pad to unsolder on the bottom of the part - that would make it a lot harder.

4) Use solder wick to clean up excess solder on the pads. It will probably be a mess due to the extra solder, but the solder wick will take care of it.

5) Place the new part on the pads, use just a small amount of solder on opposing corners to anchor and center up the part. Solder the remaining leads, and then correctly solder the first two joints used to anchor the part. Too much solder? - just wick some off. Check the pin 1 mark.

Easy peasy. I'm an old fart and have been using surface mounted parts for many decades. For the most part, I'd much rather work on surface mounted parts than thru-hole. At work we even use 0201 (0.02 x 0.01") parts and we are going smaller, but I admit I use bigger parts due to my line of work. You might want to get some thin solder.

You might be surprised how easy it is to replace/install if you have steady hands.

Got an old board to practice on?

#182 4 years ago

I hope you're right. I've watched dozens of videos. My plan is to use ChipQuik to remove the old part - never used it before but it looks pretty easy.
    You, Quench, and everyone suggests tacking down the corners first. My concern is holding the part in place while I tack it down. I've had good success using Blu Tack (it's like silly putty) to hold headers straight and IC sockets flat. I'm hoping to use it to hold the part in place while I tack the corners. Or maybe use the heat tape.
    The solder I use is Kester 63/37 .031. I've had good luck using it. Do they make a thinner solder?
    Many people have said that surface mounted is easier and faster than thru-hole. I guess it depends on how many you screw up.
    Thanks guys. I'll let you know when the parts arrive. Maybe you all can stop by and show me how easy it is.
    Bob

Quickly tinning the part's lead prior to installing will help a lot. Don't need much, just a light coat. You can also add a little solder to the opposing pads so it's all set to go. Again, not much is needed - just enough to hold it in place and solder properly afterwards. Just take the eraser end of a pencil (or something similar) and hold the part in place, hit the opposing leads, part will settle in place because of you holding it in place - secured. No need to overthink it. I would think the tape would be a big PIA and is not needed.

0.031" solder - give it a try and make sure you don't short between pins. Smaller might be better, but 0.031 is definitely OK.

You'll get the hang if it - it really is not hard if you have halfway decent soldering skills (and you do). Too many post on Pinside about SMT being this weird and hard thing to work with since it's new to them. It's just not.

If you're really worried about it, just buy this and practice first: A few dollars, and money well spent to calm your nerves.

https://www.amazon.com/s

#188 4 years ago

Here's Dave using ChipQuik.

That is some interesting stuff. I don't think you need that since your part is so small. In the demo the chip was huge - so that does look useful in that instance.

On a side note, he did make a very good comment...don't drag the iron and solder wick across the pins when cleaning.. Just down and up, then move over, repeat. Also, that was a pretty good size iron for the little pads to use w/the solder wick. If I was removing excess solder, I'd use a smaller iron.

Also, not all solder wick is created equal. Some has very little flux, and it can be a little bit of a pain to get it to wick up solder. Add some rosin flux to it if it doesn't take solder well. Good solder wick will really pull solder away.

#191 4 years ago

What worries me most about the ChipQuik is that it mixes with the solder so every bit of it must be removed before attaching the new part.
    Mark suggested a while back to use two soldering irons. I might give that a try first.
    On thru-hole parts I usually set my iron to 650*F (344*C) Should I use less heat for SMD parts?
    I'm looking forward to getting those glasses and practice board.
    Maybe this weekend.
    Thanks
    Bob

I thought about the residual low temp solder, but once you wick it up, it will be gone. Any minuscule amount will simply mix with a lot more fresh 63/37 and be a moot point.

344C seems VERY hot. 63/37 should melt around 180 - 190C. I'm not opposed to applying a fair amount of heat to make the job go quickly. To me, 'not much heat and taking forever' to get the job done is by far an easier way to damage a board rather than 'hot and fast' with a little more heat - withing reason. 344C seems way too hot. WAG, but 250C'ish should be enough, depending on the tip. Hence, my comment about globing solder over all the pins to heat them up all at once with a bigger tip, and sliding the part off. Fast and done...

#194 4 years ago

After you get the hang of this, you will officially be known as "NewSchoolBob".

#201 4 years ago

...A lifted pad on this board would be game over. I doubt it could ever be repaired...

Not really Bob. It's just a connection, it can be repaired with some greenwire. I design high power transmitters for a living, and I've vaporized huge traces when things go wrong. Rather speculator when it happens, resembles an arc welder going berserk - but we just repair the traces and go on.

#202 4 years ago

I've never been a very patient person. Went to the shop tonight to try the new glasses. They'll work great for inspection work but not so good for working under. The focal length is just too short.
    While I was there I decided to try the two solder irons to remove the old chip. Both irons set on 500*F. Just didn't seem to get hot enough. I tried several times but I couldn't get it loose.
    Plan B was the ChipQuik. I buttered it up with their paste and added the solder. It came right off. I picked up the solder blobs with the iron tip and cleaned it with solder wick. Then I washed it with alcohol. It looked pretty clean and I don't see any damage.
    After looking at the photos I see a couple of specks of solder on pins 8 and 16. Tomorrow I'll hit those again with the solder wick.
    One small step for man - one giant leap for Bob.
    Thanks
    Bob[quoted image]

Looks great!

#207 4 years ago

The round diodes are a little bit of an oddity nowadays. Like Quench said, the IC looks fine.

#211 4 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

"Melfs"
    Yeah, they're quickly getting less popular as they're not as easy to manipulate with pick and place equipment.

I've used the square'ish 'MELF' PIN diodes in my designs for decades - never knew the round ones were considered MELFs too!

#212 4 years ago

That's pretty much what I been doing. And I'm getting better at holding the parts in place with the tweezers but I was worrying that the component was not touching the pad...

Bob, I'd be a little careful using tweezers with the caps and resistors. The small parts can be a little fragile. If you accidently give the tweezers a little twist or nudge after one end of the part is soldered, you can break the end of the part. Try using a small wooden toothpick (trying to think what else you might have laying around) to gently holding the parts in place by applying a miniscule amount of pressure from the top. After you get good at it, you probably won't even need to hold them in place.

The caps have a bit too much solder on them...but no harm. You just want a nice fillet. You could always wick excess solder off for appearance sake, but at the risk of damaging the part by fooling around with it too much. By the time you got to the IC, looks like you were getting the hang of it!

#220 4 years ago

...I may have overcooked the 4051 trying to remove the solder bridge...

I doubt if you fried it.

#222 4 years ago

I agree especially since it's still doing the same thing.
    But what the heck - I got the chips and I don't have anything else to do - There's snow and ice on the ground and it's 12*F outside.
    I just hate that we didn't fix it after all the work you guys put into this.

You and Quench were doing all the work, i justed started chiming in at the end.

#232 4 years ago

Todays findings:
    Most of the diodes read .55 in one direction and .89 in the other direction. One diode read .55 and .72. On two decoders the diodes read .55 and OL (all 4 diodes).

Regarding the diodes, you're probably seeing a sneak path thru the other circuitry, especially since it is more than one diode. I doubt if you would have multiple diode failures. If you want to really verify, remove the diodes.

#233 4 years ago

Believe me I've thought of that. But I just can't force myself to open that brand new scope...

I know you really want to do this ...But then common sense kicks in a says "Don't tear apart the new scope." LOL, I wouldn't either.

1 week later
    #250 4 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Noooooo!! What I learned was that I don't ever want to replace surface mount components! Especially those IC's!

Nah, easily done more than thru hole. I think we managed to to convert Bob. Been doing it for almost 30 years, would never go back to thru hole.

#251 4 years ago

This may be the end of our oscilloscope fun. I’ve had my replacement scope for over 4 weeks and after a week of correspondence with Hantek about getting replacement parts, Amazon just requested that I must send back the old scope. I’m not saying that Hantek and Amazon have been colluding (it’s probably just a coincidence) but they never mentioned a return until today.
    I asked Amazon what if I already threw it out. They said they’d charge me the full price for not returning the old unit.
    The sad part is all the work we’ve put into this repair (and some expense) is all for nothing. Well, maybe not all for nothing - I have learned a lot the past few weeks.
    Thank you all for your kindness and lessons.
    Bob

No biggie Bob, you got yourself a new scope!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mpu-100-don-t-boot-on-first-try?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.