(Topic ID: 253732)

MPU 100 Don't boot on first try

By oldschoolbob

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Oscilloscope_FrontPanelSwitches_3a.jpg
    IMG_3978 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3969a (resized).jpg
    S20191111_0011 (resized).jpg
    S20191111_0010 (resized).jpg
    S20191111_0005 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    S20191110_0011 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0002 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0010 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0009 (resized).jpg
    S20191110_0008 (resized).jpg
    S20191109_0004 (resized).jpg
    S20191107_0003 (resized).jpg
    S20191107_0002 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4003 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JethroP.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I’d be very cautious about using a strong acid on anything. Years ago I remodeled apartments for a local village. A maintenance worker a couple of buildings down was cleaning a clogged sink. He poured in some really strong acid drain cleaner and it blew up out of the drain. Burned his hand and arm pretty bad. The stuff he was using was for commercial use only - I'm sure it wasn't what Andrew is using.
    I’m always careful using any kind of acid.
    Bob

CAUTION! You always add acid to water, not the other way around! If you google why, you find:
    A large amount of heat is released when strong acids are mixed with water. Adding more acid releases more heat. If you add water to acid, you form an extremely concentrated solution of acid initially. So much heat is released that the solution may boil very violently, splashing concentrated acid out of the container!
    SO.....BE CAREFUL IF YOU ARE POURING STRONG ACID DOWN YOUR SINK DRAIN.
    I once cleaned the battery corrosion on a Bally MPU using acid and small acid brush. Let it set for less than a minute and rinsed the board in the kitchen sink. Worked like a charm.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

My scope at the time was an ancient 90s textronics...

My one and only scope I ever owned was a Heathkit I built in the 60's. If yours was ancient, mine must have been prehistoric. OMG.

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Oh dear, I thought I was the only one still using a CRO (Cathode Ray Oscilloscope)!

You are still using yours?! Haha, my Heathkit is long gone. The newer scopes are really nice....smaller and lighter. But I've just gotten by all these years without one, so have never replaced it.

3 weeks later
    #242 4 years ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:he said to pay it with PayPal

Using a credit card to pay in China is probably more of a hassle with them than paying with Paypal as he suggested. (I've been to China 9 times and know some of their hassles). If you pay with Paypal you are covered (like using a credit card) if you don't receive the merchandise, or if you need to return a defective product, etc. If you don't want to open a Paypal account, and you can't get the purchase with your credit card, I'd be happy to pay for it with my Paypal account and you can reimburse me with a check in the mail.

P.S. I'm enjoying your thread.

#245 4 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Government subsidized shipping.

Yep. Amazing. I've bought items that cost less than a dollar and included free shipping from China! Geez, I can't even ship a padded first class envelope across town for that! Good old government subsidized shipping.

#247 4 years ago

What a bummer. I was learning a lot too and enjoying this thread.

#249 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Bought yourself one of those practice surface mount kits yet?

Noooooo!! What I learned was that I don't ever want to replace surface mount components! Especially those IC's!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JethroP.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mpu-100-don-t-boot-on-first-try?tu=JethroP and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.