(Topic ID: 41437)

Moving Woz or any other beast upstairs!.....

By iceman44

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by sturner
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So, as I contemplate the task of moving my new WPT upstairs with my brother's help....with Woz around the corner, hopefully , I'm thinking about how the heck I'm going to get that 400 pound beast upstairs.......

Anybody found any really good appliance dollys lately or have any other ideas....that stair climber looks good but is pricey...

#2 11 years ago

Yates makes good dollys. Electric stair climbers like Escalara are great.

But then so are some huge friends followed up with a bucket of Colonel Sanders finest and some brewskies.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

Yep, I prefer Lloyd's method as well - one guy on each corner of the pin, quickly followed by pizza, beer and flipping the new pin of course...

#4 11 years ago

Woz is over 400lbs. Closer to 450 if I had to estimate.

But it's extremely easy to remove the head. A few quick cable disconnects and bolts and off it comes

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Woz is over 400lbs. Closer to 450 if I had to estimate.

390 pounds.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

390 pounds.

Lol trust me its more than that Lloyd

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Then they fibbed on the WOZ forum.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

And even if it's NOT, who the hell cares? Stargate is only like 300 lbs and it's widely considered to be one of the worst pins to move. And I should know, I moved the one we had for the seller. DUMB decision and I will never do it again. If they want to sell it, get it to ground level, or pay me for my time and injury. It's all about where the weight is when it's on the dolly, and at 390...who cares. It's so stupid heavy you're going to need 3-4 people anyways unless you're on steroids.

At least moving UP stairs is easier than DOWN stairs, IMO.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

and at 390...who cares

That is the way I see it. Up to around 800 pounds. Then you need the right equipment, people who know what they are doing, and a stairway that can support everything without ending up in the basement.

#10 11 years ago

Man up grab two legs and throw it over your back. lol

utility dolly with or without stair climber and or 2+ people

buy some beers and get a buddy.

key point..... don't drink til it gets up stairs.

#11 11 years ago

Stargate is ridiculously heavy for a standard width pin! We just moved one last weekend. Had to move it up out of a basement and then down into mine....and I have narrow stairs with the ol' 90 degree turn near the bottom.....not fun.

With three it was not terrible. With two it's a real bitch. WOZ will be harder. I'd think three people minimum for WOZ.....unless you have two big dudes itchin' to get a hernia

#12 11 years ago

I did a Williams IJ down to the basement by myself...never again! I was spent afterwards and didn't have the energy to play it after setting it up.

#13 11 years ago

C'mon and just bit the bullet and buy an Escalera from me! If you have friends like mine it won't take much beer savings to pay for it. LOL

Kitch

#14 11 years ago

Victory is mine!....I'm beaten, bruised and battered but WPT is now in the game room. It's my last pin to move myself upstairs, my brother and I are both 6-3 and 230 and going up steep stairs and then on to a switchback is a b*tch!...Biggest problem is I have a lip on each step and yanking/pushing that pin up and over each step is rough...especially for the top guy....

No freaking way am I going to attempt Woz at my house, professional movers all the way!

#15 11 years ago

Do yourself a favor. Bite the bullet and get an Escalara. I did not want to put out the money either but look at it this way:

1. How much money will you lose not being at work from an injury moving a game?
2. How much money will you spend in medical bills after being injured moving a game?
3. Do you really want to spend the rest of your life living with the pain from a shoulder or back injury that can't be permanently fixed?
4. How many times can you keep bothering friends to help you move games and how bad will you feel if they get hurt helping you?

And finally, the resale on these things is pretty good if you maintain it. Some go cheap on Ebay because they look beat and the owners who used them in industrial applications do not realize how many pinball guys would like to have one. Even if you pay a high price for a new one it will only lose $500 of value ten years later. Meanwhile you saved your body, did'nt damage your games, helped your kid move his fridge and washing machine and just plain made your life much easier. Sure your neighbor's and friends will use it a bit, but it is still worth it to even avoid one back injury that we are all so prone to getting moving these games. Especially with a WOZ!

If you use it 20 times in 10 years with $500 in depreciation it costed you $25 each time you used it. And those are some pretty conservative numbers when you throw friends and family into it.

I'm glad I spent the money for one. Most people probably are and wish they had done it sooner instead of later.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

'm glad I spent the money for one. Most people probably are and wish they had done it sooner instead of later.

I looked at the youtube on the escalera and it sure does look worth every penny.....its either that or professional guys for me next and I guess I'll look on ebay.....

All great points....1 through 4...you are right

#17 11 years ago

Pull the head, pull the playfield.

It will go up easily.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Pull the head, pull the playfield.

I do that and I will F something up for sure.....

#19 11 years ago

I've looked for an escalera and haven't been able to find one. Anyplace to get them used?

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from arizonabuck:

I've looked for an escalera and haven't been able to find one.

How hard did you look ?

A person on Pinside sells them.

Terry at Pinball Life sells them.

Keep an eye here, Ebay, and Craigslist for a used one.

#21 11 years ago

Lloyd, do you know if anywhere around the cities rents the Escalera? I sure could go for one of those, it's hard as hell to get these machines up my stairs...down no problem.

I see New Haven does, a little far away, but if the price is right it would be worth it.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Lloyd, do you know if anywhere around the cities rents the Escalera? I sure could go for one of those, it's hard as hell to get these machines up my stairs...down no problem.

I've never seen anybody rent one. Just standard dollies.

There was one on Craigslist awhile back for $500, but it was in pretty bad shape and needed a new battery.

#23 11 years ago

I see one on ebay in California for 800 bucks, looks like a great deal for local pickup.

#24 11 years ago

I couldn't justify the cost of an Escalera unless I was moving them all the time. The appliance dolly with another person isn't fun, but a better option for me.

I'd love to find out if they can be rented out. Would definitely do it. Also 390 pounds or whatever is insane. That would be worth just hiring someone to do it.

#25 11 years ago

Whats the cost of one of those anyway? I could see paying a few hundred, but anywhere north of 500 and I think its worth pizza and beer to get some burly bros over.

#26 11 years ago

I believe $1800. We need to convince someone in Chicago to buy one and rent it out to all of us at $100 a pop.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

I've rented stair climbers before at the local rental store. Call around and you should be able to find a store that rents them. The one I've rented wasn't an Escalera but it worked great just the same. It's been awhile but I seem to recall the cost was $35 - $40 for 4 hours. Luckily, my staircase is super wide with no turns. Since the movers will be bringing my WoZ to the house, I'm going to just pay the extra to have them do it.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Whats the cost of one of those anyway? I could see paying a few hundred, but anywhere north of 500 and I think its worth pizza and beer to get some burly bros over.

They are in the $1500 range new. But they show up on Ebay regularly although the price varies. The battery is about $100 because it is the gel type so it does not leak when you lay it down. If I had started watching for one used much earlier I certainly could have found one cheaper than new.

Yes, its easy to get a couple of your buds together when you are younger. But we just can't beat mother nature later one. I held up kinda OK after surguries on both shoulders and knees, but most everyone I needed to help me was already torn up with back and shoulder injuries and I sure did'nt want anyone hurt worse from trying to help me out.

#29 11 years ago

Anyone ever try those forearm lifting straps? 20 bucks for 2 guys to manage 700lbs. I have a steep Victorian L-stair here. New washer/dryer 2 years ago - those guys came in with those straps and made it look easy. http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-15838/Moving-Boxes/Forearm-Lifting-Straps?pricode=WU329&gadtype=pla&gclid=CLD36pri1bUCFQ6xnQodqgsAcA

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from FastRMacR:

Anyone ever try those forearm lifting straps? 20 bucks for 2 guys to manage 700lbs. I have a steep Victorian L-stair here. New washer/dryer 2 years ago - those guys came in with those straps and made it look easy. http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-15838/Moving-Boxes/Forearm-Lifting-Straps?pricode=WU329&gadtype=pla&gclid=CLD36pri1bUCFQ6xnQodqgsAcA

I have a set of those. I used them to haul 2 NIB pins up a curved 16 stair staircase. Just myself and my 16 year old son. They work great. Picked them up at Home Depot for less than $20.00. The key is getting them set up with the correct length on each side so you can maintain a straight back and level box.

#31 11 years ago

I have those straps as well. VERY useful for a ton of tasks.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from FastRMacR:

Anyone ever try those forearm lifting straps?

I have those, but I like to use those grippy gloves with the rubber type palms and coffin carrying, makes me feel like a Man after I do it just like Shoot_Again described!

#33 11 years ago

I must be very lucky. I just brought my third electro truck home today. They are all the 1500lb models. I bought the first two for ~$125 each. The one I brought home today was given to me yesterday for free under the condition that I moved it before 10am today. That was a no brainer. I do wish I had a lighter aluminum model but these work great.

#34 11 years ago

Those straps work but they are scary as hell going up or down stairs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 16.95
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-woz-or-any-other-beast-upstairs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.