Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 245 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Gorgar666
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

six flags (resized).jpg
    193gdsf054vkejpg (resized).jpg
    20200123_185651 (resized).png
    0FD1F462-3FD7-4EA8-9A2B-985A57B4E7ED (resized).jpeg
    tenorq.gif
    tx cat (resized).jpg
    6A1727B9-3918-4693-9352-0A98B5AB7582 (resized).jpeg
    2ED1AD16-BB70-4237-8DB0-652DC8548F4F (resized).jpeg
    download (2) (resized).jpeg
    AR-181018734 (resized).jpg
    YC0p8c.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#149 4 years ago

Good thread. I appreciate everyone’s insights. Lots of things to make me want to live in a Texas. Or, maybe not live in a Texas. I don’t know. Like pretty much everyone in CA, I want to get out of this place. But can’t figure out where to go.

I’ve never been to Austin, but have been to Texas a fair number of times over the years, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso. From all those visits I observed:

The people there are nice. They are friendly. Every restaurant I went to, the waitresses always called me “honey”. It’s not in any sort of bad way, it’s just a natural and friendly way to talk to someone. Seriously, they are just so nice it makes you feel good.

The food is great. In particular, anything BBQ and Mexican or Tex-Mex. We have great Mexican in CA but as far as BBQ forget it.

Houston in the middle of summer is the hottest place I have ever been. Now just a few years ago I was in Palm Springs in the summer playing golf and it hit 120F. That was hot, damn hot. But I’ll never forget how hot it was in Texas. You stepped outside, you wanted to turn right around and go back in.

I’ll never forget one night I was staying in some Holiday Inn type hotel for work, and I looked out my room window down into the parking lot where I had parked my rental car. It was some generic Ford or Chevy sedan. The entire parking lot was filled with pickup trucks except for my rental car. Literally, all pickup trucks in row after row. So, yeah, pickup truck.

It’s a big ass place. Once you get out of the big cities, you can drive for hours and hours and hardly see anything and still be the middle of Texas.

Since I will be retiring soon, I don’t need to live in or even near a big city for employment purposes. Somewhere in all of that open Texas land, there must be nice places, like small towns, where you can get a nice house on some land (a few acres) where you could also have a workshop, a garage, and a nice barn or outbuilding of some type for a game room? That’s what I would like to find.

#151 4 years ago
    Quoted from Alan_L:

I was visiting a lifelong Texan in Austin and we went out to a bar. We both ordered beer. Because the bartender heard his accent, he gave my friend just a bottle, and when he heard my "Yankee" accent, he gave me a bottle and a glass.
    My friend said, "If you touch that glass, I'll kill you." For the second round the bartender took my glass away.

That is funny. You touch that glass, I’ll kill you lol.

1 week later
    #227 4 years ago

My friend, who is a massive dude who was a lineman in college football and about as manly as you can get, wore some sneakers while visiting Texas. Some dude said to him, “nice sneakers, are you gay?” In all seriousness.

True story.

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I assume that was decades ago.
    Cause that don't happen in Austin. Everyone wears sneakers or hipster flipflops.

It was a while ago, although not in Austin. It was a good laugh. But as I said, I like Texas. I’ve been there a fair amount, and been to Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, College Station, but not Austin. I never had anything but a good time there. Hope to go to Austin sometime.

#235 4 years ago

That sucks that your property gets reappraised and your taxes go up just because people want to move there. Looks like the property tax overall in Texas is pretty high compared to other states. Well I guess there is still one last good thing left in CA which is Prop 13 which stops this from happening. Which of course they are desperately working to take away from us.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-to-texas-advice?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.