Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 245 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Gorgar666
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

six flags (resized).jpg
    193gdsf054vkejpg (resized).jpg
    20200123_185651 (resized).png
    0FD1F462-3FD7-4EA8-9A2B-985A57B4E7ED (resized).jpeg
    tenorq.gif
    tx cat (resized).jpg
    6A1727B9-3918-4693-9352-0A98B5AB7582 (resized).jpeg
    2ED1AD16-BB70-4237-8DB0-652DC8548F4F (resized).jpeg
    download (2) (resized).jpeg
    AR-181018734 (resized).jpg
    YC0p8c.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

v
    As I witness a guy that rolled by in the truck while there's a lowkey protest going on to remove some statue or other (that did end up getting removed) a few miles from my house... as my wife and I are walking around playing Pokemon Go and trying to figure out what the hubbub is about, this guy rolls by and goes "F YOU, NI---- LOVERS!" to the two of us. We weren't even there for whatever else was going on.
    The guy made like three or four more passes before the police pulled him over. But yes... SO TOLERANT AND ACCEPTING HERE IN DALLAS...
    LMFAO.

This, sadly, represent my almost identical experience in Dallas. And it wasn't once. And it wasn't twice. It was *every* time. My brother lives there, and the people I've met seem to be great folks, but it's been really hard to get past the cognitive dissonance of those experiences.

But it absolutely can't be like that everywhere in Dallas, and it can't be like that in all of Texas. Austin and its citizens seem determined to be "different" than the rest of the state, and that place seems fine too. Houston was cool from the time I've spent there. I don't know anything about the politics of the areas, although Texas is assumed to be a pretty conservative state.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

This is my favorite Texas experience, and I believe it reflects on the nice people most Texans are. My buddy and I were in Dallas a few years back and were checking out the sights at SMU--a beautiful campus. We found a nearby BBQ place, ordered and sat down to eat (Texas BBQ is the best, and yes that includes Kansas City). Two really cute college girls saw us--one came to our table and asked "Hey, y'all wanna come over and sit with us?" My buddy was apoplectic, as he figured they were trying to pick us up--and he was very married. I've lived in the south and knew they were just being friendly (and I'm sure they could see by the way we looked/dressed we were not Texans and they were curios). We had a great chat over lunch--never a hint of anything going on but pure Texas hospitality. Something like that would never happen in CA, ever.

That's awesome

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from Davidus56:

Avoid Austin at all costs. Rampant crime, defecation on the streets, homeless explosion, drug paraphernalia and needles everywhere and cowboys walking around with six guns on their belts just looking for someone to shoot...
    California, especially San Francisco doesn’t seem to have any of these problems.

LOL This made me absolutely crack up. You are too transparent!

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

Wow lots of Texans here on pinside.Last time I was in Austin it was a very nice place.Sadly it was was August 27 1990.The day we lost Stevie Ray Vaughn

Oh my god, what was that like? The town must have gone silent

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from mikeflan:

As someone who has lived in Texas my whole life and who has gone to Austin regularly for the last 30 years, I find your description laughable. Austin is having growing pains from essentially doubling their population over the last 20 years or so, but it's a thriving vibrant city in every way imaginable. Good food, bars, nightlife, and pinball if you are so inclined. It's also increasingly unaffordable compared to much of Texas. That said, I'd move there in a heartbeat if I were so inclined and could swing the costs.

Pretty sure he posted that as a joke to keep the squares out.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-to-texas-advice?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.