83 days ago

Topic Stats

• 243 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 52 days ago by hocuslocus
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

193gdsf054vkejpg (resized).jpg
    20200123_185651 (resized).png
    0FD1F462-3FD7-4EA8-9A2B-985A57B4E7ED (resized).jpeg
    tenorq.gif
    tx cat (resized).jpg
    6A1727B9-3918-4693-9352-0A98B5AB7582 (resized).jpeg
    2ED1AD16-BB70-4237-8DB0-652DC8548F4F (resized).jpeg
    download (2) (resized).jpeg
    AR-181018734 (resized).jpg
    YC0p8c.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#68 82 days ago

The "consider the politics" discussion has some merit on both sides. On the one hand, most places you go if you're decent to others they'll probably be decent to you. Of course there are exceptions here and there, but that's got to cover 90% or so of America, and probably the same world-wide.

On the other hand, politics aren't just a social club, they do have real world consequences. So if the political decisions being made in a location -- taxes, school funding, infrastructure spending, school curriculum, access to abortion, etc. on the local and state level, plus whatever the US Congressmen and Senators are up to -- are going to bother you, it makes sense to take that into consideration before moving. Moreover, different places have different cultures about how and whether politics are discussed (along with religion and a host of other "sensitive" topics). So if you don't mind having neighbors with different political points of view, you might still be turned off if your new city or town is littered with yard signs and everyone talks politics and church all of the time.

I have no idea what the "politics/religion/etc. talk" culture is in Texas. Given that it's so big, there are probably several different ones. But it's one more thing to consider when you're visiting, along with the hundred other things you'd consider before moving across the country.

PS: Politics aside, why has no one mention the weather yet? Aren't the summers brutally hot and humid?

#106 81 days ago
    Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

That's a little dark. You research this stuff?

Maybe he's an actuary.

#115 81 days ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

Wherever he can find a wife....it doesn't matter....New England 'seems' to have a shortage, so he is branching out. His folks want grandchildren already....

Maybe he likes 'em sassy instead of brassy.

#131 79 days ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

Sooo, I take it Texas does not have a significant vegan population?

It’s a big state, I’m sure there are tens of thousands of vegans.

#170 75 days ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

There might very well be thousands of vegans in Texas, but bill boards on the interstate will tell you that MEAT is for dinner.
    You can get barbeque, steak, pork chops, ribs and any other meat product that you can imagine, prepared just how you want it at reasonable prices.
    You figure it out...

Sounds perfect to me! I just meant if someone’s looking for veggie/vegan food they can probably still find it. Not in most small towns of course, but that’s hit or miss everywhere.

#178 74 days ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Maybe even cottage cheese

You'd make a terrible vegan.

#182 72 days ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

There is a documentary about this now on Netflix: "Bottled Up - The Battle Over Dublin Dr. Pepper"

Is it worth a watch for Dr. Pepper fans?

#196 71 days ago
    Quoted from marcus0202:

I moved from CA to Houston. The biggest downside by far for me is the weather. The humid summers here seem to last for 9 months. The next biggest change I immediately noticed was politics/gun ownership. I am apparently the only one on my street not packing. Then there are the mosquitos. The job cycle here can be cyclical, meaning when the price of oil is down, there are layoffs. Overall, I prefer Houston due the sheer volume of jobs coupled with the low cost of housing. You cannot buy anything in many parts of CA for $400k, but here in Texas, that will buy you a McMansion. Also, there is no income tax here (though property tax is 3%). People are friendly enough here and big pinball community here too!

The humidity would be a total deal-breaker for me, but at least you'll save big money on humidifiers and hand lotion.

If you're buying in Houston or another city subject to seasonal flooding, remember to check those flood zone maps so you know what you're getting into. I'd also want to do a little independent research on actual historic flood patterns, I have a friend in city planning and he says the mapmakers are subject to intense political pressure (since they're deciding when and where development will be permitted), so the maps don't always end up reflecting reality. And regardless, flood insurance seems like a good idea.

#211 70 days ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Strange thing about gas in New Jersey... There is a law that you are not allowed to pump your own gas. Attendants can only operate most of the pumps and they carry a card that allows them to operate the gas pump. Most of them appear to be from India or somewhere similar to that. I had no idea, especially the 1st time. I thought the guy was begging for money or something, but he just wanted to pump my gas. I just cannot understand why people would want that in New Jersey. I carry my own luggage, drive my own truck, pump my own gas and I am fully grown... I don't need some guy I have never seen pumping my gas. But I did allow it, because that is the law in New Jersey...

Another strange thing about NJ, always cheapest (or close to cheapest) gas prices on the east coast. Whatever else they’re taxing, it’s not the gas.

#213 70 days ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

It's gone up considerably though in the last few years due to a big gas tax increase. The prices are much more variable there now than they use to be. Some places have prices just as high as in upstate NY,
    and the prices on the GSP and NJTPK are no bargain.

Wow, big change then. My data is admittedly 5 years old, but growing up in New England, Jersey was always famous for cheap gas (and the weird no self pumping rule).

#218 67 days ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Well now, we go from our air conditioned homes to our air conditioned cars to our air conditioned work. What was that about the heat & humidity?

A/C makes many places entirely livable that would otherwise be pretty rough for three-quarters of the year. But there is something to be said for stepping outside on a cloudless sunny day and just enjoying the weather without immediately being drenched in sweat.

Of course different strokes for different folks, there's a sock for every foot, etc. And luckily so or Colorado would be even more crowded than it is.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Plastics
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 221.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Haus
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 219.99
    $ 399.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside