Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 245 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Gorgar666
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

six flags (resized).jpg
    193gdsf054vkejpg (resized).jpg
    20200123_185651 (resized).png
    0FD1F462-3FD7-4EA8-9A2B-985A57B4E7ED (resized).jpeg
    tenorq.gif
    tx cat (resized).jpg
    6A1727B9-3918-4693-9352-0A98B5AB7582 (resized).jpeg
    2ED1AD16-BB70-4237-8DB0-652DC8548F4F (resized).jpeg
    download (2) (resized).jpeg
    AR-181018734 (resized).jpg
    YC0p8c.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dent00.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#128 4 years ago

Having visited Houston in the past, I would recommend several things:
    1) Get a toll tag.. Lots of toll roads in Houston that you will want access to, without getting a ticket.
    2) Learn to speak Spanish. Lots of people around that I could not communicate with and wish I could.
    3) Purchase a house close to where you want to be.. Travel across the city is a major pain, so minimize driving if you can.
    4) Buy a truck... Not a small truck.. A regular truck... Everybody in Texas that is anybody has a truck...
    5) Learn that meat is required in every meal. Its what's for dinner... breakfast and lunch too.
    Everything is bigger in Texas, so just get ready...

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Having visited Houston in the past, I would recommend several things:
    1) Get a toll tag.. Lots of toll roads in Houston that you will want access to, without getting a ticket.
    2) Learn to speak Spanish. Lots of people around that I could not communicate with and wish I could.
    3) Purchase a house close to where you want to be.. Travel across the city is a major pain, so minimize driving if you can.
    4) Buy a truck... Not a small truck.. A regular truck... Everybody is Texas that is anybody has a truck...
    5) Learn that meat is required in every meal. Its what's for dinner... breakfast and lunch too.
    Everything is bigger in Texas, so just get ready...

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Everything soft drink is a coke, not a pop, not a soda, it's coke.
    If someone asks you what you want to drink and you say coke, they will ask you if it's diet, sprite, dr. pepper etc.

Where I come from, there is no such thing as a "pop" or a "soda", unless you go to Dairy Queen and order a "soda", which is an ice cream drink. A "coke" is a Coca-Cola... And a Pepsi is a Pepsi, which is not a coke. A Sprite is not a coke and neither is a Dr. Pepper, but they are coke products... A Diet Coke is not "just a coke" either... Just my experience...

#169 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

It’s a big state, I’m sure there are tens of thousands of vegans.

There might very well be thousands of vegans in Texas, but bill boards on the interstate will tell you that MEAT is for dinner.
    You can get barbeque, steak, pork chops, ribs and any other meat product that you can imagine, prepared just how you want it at reasonable prices.
    You figure it out...

#173 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Sounds perfect to me! I just meant if someone’s looking for veggie/vegan food they can probably still find it. Not in most small towns of course, but that’s hit or miss everywhere.

I guess if you want to, you can get salad at the steak house....
    Maybe even cottage cheese and fruit...
    While you watch all your friends eat really good steak...

#179 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

You'd make a terrible vegan.

I like vegetables just fine... Fruit too... But I want meat with my meal... Cottage cheese is not normally on my menu...

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

IN TX; Dr Pepper is it's own food group. Started in Waco.
    DO NOT come to TX and expect to order DP as Coke. You must specify it by name.
    You'll probably be run out of the state if you ask for Mr Pibb.
    I have several friends who only drink DP... while, I myself boycott DP because of the way Snapple treated the original bottler - Dublin Dr Pepper. https://www.bevnet.com/news/2012/dublin-dr-pepper-fans-start-dps-boycott/

There is a documentary about this now on Netflix: "Bottled Up - The Battle Over Dublin Dr. Pepper"
    I had no idea...

#183 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Is it worth a watch for Dr. Pepper fans?

The documentary was pretty informative.
    It will also make you angry if you are a Dr. Pepper fan...

#197 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yes, Houston weather can by brutal (especially the humidity). By contrast, Dallas summers are hot, but not nearly as humid.

I guess I have a little different perspective. Weather in the Northern USA is brutal in the wintertime with no humidity. My skin began to itch all over, had respiratory problems, eventually nosebleed and I had no idea why it was happening. When it gets cold like that, it hurts to go outside and the humidity is like at nearly zero. I like it to be really hot, like 90 degrees or so. You can dress in light colors, cotton preferably, shorts and a tee shirt and learn how to sweat and drink a lot of water. No need for all those layers required in the arctic tundra region. I never realized that I might need a humidifier until I lived up North and it was miserable. Never ever heard of a humidifier before I went there, much less why I might need one. I tell people near me that I survived 2 winters up North. Never again...

#200 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

What state were you in?

Iowa for two years and New Jersey for one year.
    Both were miserable in the wintertime.

#209 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

NJ? I have it worse. In in NY, and in the highest taxed county at that.
    I used to work in NJ a lot, and did much of my shopping there. Until the higher gas tax was added, I'd always get gas there too. The gas is still way cheaper down there in many places than it is up by me.
    And...no stupid five cent deposit on every beer can!

Strange thing about gas in New Jersey... There is a law that you are not allowed to pump your own gas. Attendants can only operate most of the pumps and they carry a card that allows them to operate the gas pump. Most of them appear to be from India or somewhere similar to that. I had no idea, especially the 1st time. I thought the guy was begging for money or something, but he just wanted to pump my gas. I just cannot understand why people would want that in New Jersey. I carry my own luggage, drive my own truck, pump my own gas and I am fully grown... I don't need some guy I have never seen pumping my gas. But I did allow it, because that is the law in New Jersey...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dent00.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-to-texas-advice?tu=Dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.