Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 245 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Gorgar666
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

six flags (resized).jpg
    193gdsf054vkejpg (resized).jpg
    20200123_185651 (resized).png
    0FD1F462-3FD7-4EA8-9A2B-985A57B4E7ED (resized).jpeg
    tenorq.gif
    tx cat (resized).jpg
    6A1727B9-3918-4693-9352-0A98B5AB7582 (resized).jpeg
    2ED1AD16-BB70-4237-8DB0-652DC8548F4F (resized).jpeg
    download (2) (resized).jpeg
    AR-181018734 (resized).jpg
    YC0p8c.gif

There are 245 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 4 years ago

So last year was the first time I have been outside of an airport one time in Houston for a layover going to Vegas. I went to TPF and was just blown away by the culture, food, people, stuff to do and weather and probably other stuff. I have lived near Lowell, MA for 30 years and 2 years in Manchester, NH.

I'm a welder and was looking at Lockheed Martin, BAE Systems, etc. Not sure if anybody has a friend/relative or is working at these places.

Anyways where is a good place to check out because I'm going to TPF again this year and last year I checked out the Dallas Cowboys stadium while wearing my Patriots attire. The Dallas World Aquarium was like x1000 times better than the Boston Aquarium and the Reunion Tower was incredible. After TPF I'm planning on going to Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and finally back to the DFW airport. I'm going back 4/4/20.

What places should I avoid because I hear the east part is fully of hardcore Republicans, Austin is full of drugs, further South looks like something from Breaking Bad? I have no clue but I'm a single 32yr old that leans mostly in the middle. I really don't want to turn this into a "oh man stay out of our state Yankee".

#2 4 years ago

You have way too many pre-conceived ideas about Texas, go with an open mind and explore for yourself. I've visited Texas many times, my dad was from there. Austin will probably fit you better than most places. It is a melting pot, an island of liberal in a sea of mostly conservative. Cool place, give it a visit. There is a big high rise building boom going on downtown right now which might fit your skills.

Texas has great people and great food, if you don't go all Northern you'll have no problem fitting in--once you get used to the difference between south and north...and there is a big difference.

#3 4 years ago

Don't. That's my advice. Not if you're anything other than red, anyways.

I think my mom's husband works for Lockheed, but it would be in more technical stuff, not manufactory, so I doubt any information I could pry out of him would be useful, but if you have something specific to ask, I could try.

Quoted from hool10:

east part is fully of hardcore Republicans, Austin is full of drugs, further South looks like something from Breaking Bad

This is surprisingly accurate. Houston....99% of it that I've seen looks like an apocalypse waiting to happen, but to be fair, almost all of my time spent in Houston is on the outskirts. The northwest side of town when I went down there for state championships a few years back was....like south Dallas. Bars on windows everywhere, seedy as hell.

Austin is full of drugs....like pot....weed....some more pot...some more weed....uh......but I wouldn't say it's any worse than the other major metro areas. I mean...the east side of Plano, which is like one of the nicest Dallas suburbs, is pretty much infamous for black tar heroin in the 90's, at least to us locals.

If I had to pick, and could afford anywhere, I'd be in Austin. Or more likely, not in Texas.

#4 4 years ago

All of the cities you mentioned have their pros and cons. I can only comment on Houston and Austin.

Houston
    Pro-lots of employment options and cheaper cost of living

Con- traffic, aggressive drivers, have to drive awhile to go anywhere fun

Austin
    Pro- endless amount of awesome restaurants, social activities and nightlife. Lots of scenery and outdoor activities.

Con- higher cost of living(cheaper in the suburbs), traffic (drivers are friendlier than houston)

I wouldn’t worry about others’ political beliefs. As long as you’re not the type that likes to bring it up in conversation you’ll be ok.

#5 4 years ago

I've been to most of the major cities in Texas; I like Austin and San Antonio. Austin is the Madison, Wisconsin of the south (a little funky and liberal - like me). I've never had a bad time in Texas.

I moved to Fort Lauderdale from Cleveland a few years ago - South Florida is very "blue" area. This area (Fort Lauderdale-Miami) is a giant melting pot and most folks are from other areas of the country/continent, which suits me just fine.

I do, however, miss the people of the Midwest.....

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I hear the east part is fully of hardcore Republicans

Yeah, it's real hard living with us conservatives here in North Texas also. After all, strong work ethic, personal responsibility, fair taxes, property rights, originalist constitutional outlook, defending the innocent, family values, respect for authority, independent thought, tolerance for people who don't have the same beliefs/values as we do . . . must be a real downer to be around people like us for any length of time.

#7 4 years ago

If you don’t like Republicans, then yea you probably won’t like living in Texas. But just because you’re liberal doesn’t mean Texans won’t like you. Texans are very hospitable to everyone. I don’t think the person who tries to draw a line should be the one complaining about the line regardless of your or my political views. Not picking a fight, just a friendly thought.
    That being said, everywhere is full of Republicans in Texas except inner cities. Reason being is rural areas in Texas are very self reliant and people run there own businesses and thrive on capitalism. However surprisingly you’ll find rural areas to be the most friendly and welcoming in my personal opinion. But big city wise, Austin is your most liberal city in Texas and most everywhere else in Texas would say Austin folks are “strange”, lol. Next is San Antonio as it is of course filled with more minorities. You’ll find the majority of the blue collar working class in Houston and Dallas to be republican probably. But I’m sure, like I said before, you’ll be welcome by most Texans anywhere you go. It kind of depends on the weather, landscaping, and lifestyle you prefer as Texas is so big all of these things are different all across our state.

#8 4 years ago

Most Texans don't wear their politics on their sleeves, and are the most friendly people you will ever encounter. When in Dallas, visit the Cidercade near the medical district on I35E. All the new pins and many older ones too. Full arcade on top of that and about a hundred different ciders to sip on!

https://www.cidercade.com/

Oh yea, not everyone is in cowboy boots and cowboy hats with a six gun slung low. But, you are more protected than you might imagine

#9 4 years ago

Bring some ice.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tbachli:

Oh yea, not everyone is in cowboy boots and cowboy hats with a six gun slung low.

Speak fer yerself

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Speak fer yerself

Ha, most are CHL folks nowadays! B-Tactical out your way is a great place to visit too, even for a yankee! I've been meaning to sight in the Garand out there..

#12 4 years ago

I have spent time in Dallas and San Antonio but nowhere is home like Houston. Better theater (Hobby Center for Performing Arts), better food and plenty of employment opportunities if you are looking. The suburbs of Houston are affordable with strong schools as well. Traffic does suck though, and it is so spread out it can take awhile to get to work (especially if you bounce around like I do as a construction superintendent)...

As far as run down, parts of every city are shitty.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

tolerance for people who don't have the same beliefs/values as we do

v

As I witness a guy that rolled by in the truck while there's a lowkey protest going on to remove some statue or other (that did end up getting removed) a few miles from my house... as my wife and I are walking around playing Pokemon Go and trying to figure out what the hubbub is about, this guy rolls by and goes "F YOU, NI---- LOVERS!" to the two of us. We weren't even there for whatever else was going on.

The guy made like three or four more passes before the police pulled him over. But yes... SO TOLERANT AND ACCEPTING HERE IN DALLAS...

LMFAO.

#14 4 years ago

Looks like you are steering yourself towards military contractors. I would look at jobs posted for one of the military bases. There are a bunch of them.

Texas' Military Installations
    Corpus Christi Army Depot.
    Dyess Air Force Base.
    Ellington Field.
    Fort Bliss.
    Fort Hood.
    Goodfellow Air Force Base.
    Joint Base San Antonio. Fort Sam Houston, Lackland Air Force Base and Randolph Air Force Base.

If you see something from GD or GDIT I might be able to give a recommendation or some help.

Good luck! Regardless of politics, you can meet lots of nice people in Texas. Lived there in my past. Good and bad people are everywhere.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

v
    As I witness a guy that rolled by in the truck while there's a lowkey protest going on to remove some statue or other (that did end up getting removed) a few miles from my house... as my wife and I are walking around playing Pokemon Go and trying to figure out what the hubbub is about, this guy rolls by and goes "F YOU, NI---- LOVERS!" to the two of us. We weren't even there for whatever else was going on.
    The guy made like three or four more passes before the police pulled him over. But yes... SO TOLERANT AND ACCEPTING HERE IN DALLAS...
    LMFAO.

Yeah, and I've been physically and verbally assaulted by "rednecks" in pickup trucks on multiple occasions while cycling here on the Fort Worth side. I'm talking about law abiding citizens and neighbors, not the fringe thugs. Try dressing like a Texan and visiting a west coast city with an Antifa rally going on and see what happens to you. There are moron reprobates on either side of the political spectrum.

#16 4 years ago

Austin is full of Drugs?
    Humm… That's odd. Must be the hippy crowd I'm not aware of.

Just remember TX is a red state. It's just a fact.
    Austin, DFW, and Houston are basically little blue islands in a waterworld of Red. You'll actually be right at home just about any medium sized city on the I35 corridor.

If you are indeed moving to TX; just remember not to make a judgement call based upon what others tell you.
    Texas is like a whole other country.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

So last year was the first time I have been outside of an airport one time in Houston for a layover going to Vegas. I went to TPF and was just blown away by the culture, food, people, stuff to do and weather and probably other stuff. I have lived near Lowell, MA for 30 years and 2 years in Manchester, NH.
    I'm a welder and was looking at Lockheed Martin, BAE Systems, etc. Not sure if anybody has a friend/relative or is working at these places.
    Anyways where is a good place to check out because I'm going to TPF again this year and last year I checked out the Dallas Cowboys stadium while wearing my Patriots attire. The Dallas World Aquarium was like x1000 times better than the Boston Aquarium and the Reunion Tower was incredible. After TPF I'm planning on going to Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and finally back to the DFW airport. I'm going back 4/4/20.
    What places should I avoid because I hear the east part is fully of hardcore Republicans, Austin is full of drugs, further South looks like something from Breaking Bad? I have no clue but I'm a single 32yr old that leans mostly in the middle. I really don't want to turn this into a "oh man stay out of our state Yankee".

Texas is a big state. I’m sure you can find what you like while tearing big chunks of it down in the process

32? Austin is a no brainer for you. You get red, blue, drugs, lbgtq, Etc. But yeah, even though you are clueless it’s all good

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Austin is full of Drugs?
    Humm… That's odd. Must be the hippy crowd I'm not aware of.
    Austin, DFW, and Houston are basically little blue islands in a waterworld of Red. You'll actually be right at home just about any medium sized city on the I35 corridor.
    If you are indeed moving to TX; just remember not to make a judgement call based upon what others tell you.
    Texas is like a whole other country.

Well, the FW side is red, but not so much the D.

#19 4 years ago

I think Austin is a great place to visit because if you need a break from the bright lights and nightlife there you could check out Lake Travis on the north side which is beautiful. Marble falls is also up there. This is probably as close to hill country near the cities as you will get in my opinion. Also Pinballz has 2 locations in Austin with tons of machines available to play.

#20 4 years ago

Born and raised in Austin. I would never recommend living here to anyone. I'd leave in a heartbeat if it wasnt for my wife (shoot would leave Texas). Cost of living sucks, traffic sucks, if you aren't super liberal you wont fit in anywhere (I have no political preference as I stay out of that crap) as both sides want to make anyone whom doesn't agree with something look like an idiot but it's worse if you aren't in the majority here (liberal), more rude people than nice these days, I could go on.

But that is just my experience. Why I would never recommend it for you is Austin is more tech heavy for careers (not just jobs) and the better paying work. Maybe look somewhere more along your career line.

#21 4 years ago

I don't get why everyone is so focused on the politics of an area. I mean, I don't talk about politics on a daily basis with the people around me, do you? I've lived in Texas since I was 17 years old and love it here. Lots of friendly people, low cost of living, good food, wide open spaces. I think I'd enjoy living in Boston as well, even though Massachusetts is "blue".

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Wasn't LBJ Blue?

#23 4 years ago

tried to embed gif
    Failed

#24 4 years ago

Don't mess with it

#25 4 years ago

I love Texas! Grew up on the coast, went to school in Lubbock and then settled in Austin for a while. Wide open spaces and great music!

#26 4 years ago

This is my favorite Texas experience, and I believe it reflects on the nice people most Texans are. My buddy and I were in Dallas a few years back and were checking out the sights at SMU--a beautiful campus. We found a nearby BBQ place, ordered and sat down to eat (Texas BBQ is the best, and yes that includes Kansas City). Two really cute college girls saw us--one came to our table and asked "Hey, y'all wanna come over and sit with us?" My buddy was apoplectic, as he figured they were trying to pick us up--and he was very married. I've lived in the south and knew they were just being friendly (and I'm sure they could see by the way we looked/dressed we were not Texans and they were curios). We had a great chat over lunch--never a hint of anything going on but pure Texas hospitality. Something like that would never happen in CA, ever.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

v
    a lowkey protest going on to remove some statue or other (that did end up getting removed) But yes... SO TOLERANT AND ACCEPTING HERE IN DALLAS...
    LMFAO.

Don’t forget, Some tolerance goes both ways.
    I would prefer to pick where I live based on other factors besides other’s political beliefs. I’ve had good experiences in Texas.

#28 4 years ago

I have been living in Houston since 1994. Never in my 26 years living here have I ever had a problem with political beliefs. Just odd that people even let that get in the way of meeting new people and trying new things. I guess that's just me. I love being a Texan. I have friends who are hardcore conservatives and hardcore liberals. If people's political beliefs and drug use bother you then that is a personal issue and you won't be happy anywhere. Let it go and enjoy one of the greatest states in the USA.

#29 4 years ago

I am currently in the DFW area, but I have lived in many places around Texas. If moving here, I recommend DFW or the Austin area.
    Houston or San Antonio would be choices 3 and 4.

DFW, Houston, and Austin have STRONG pinball communities.

Texas is a business state with plenty of job opportunities, cheap housing, no state income tax, and a lot of things to do (especially in the areas mentioned above).

Just like everywhere else, there are friendly people and some not so much. For the most part, people here are nice compared to many others. While you can consider this a "red" state, that doesn't mean that there are many political people...in my experience, there aren't. Regardless, you will never find a place with people that 100% share you political position, so that should be your last concern.

I think it is all-around one of the best places to live in America, and I would highly recommend it. I would definitely drop a lot of those preconceived notions, however.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

v
    LMFAO.

Bullshit post. Don't conflate Conservatives with one racist asshole.

#31 4 years ago

Don't

#32 4 years ago

East Texas = bible thumpers.

#33 4 years ago

Spent the longest week of my life, one night in Allenreed.....

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

East Texas = bible thumpers.

Didn't have an issue in Texarkana....

#35 4 years ago

Love how everyone is stereotyping entire regions of a huge state with the aura of being righteous. Houston is a huge city and one of the most diverse if not the most diverse in the nation. Houston even elected a gay mayor if that sort of thing means anything to you. The state is massive and plenty of different kinds of people all over. People in general are very friendly and if you take the time to actually get to know some of the so called "hardcore republicans" you might even make a friend. Some of the redneck types might be rough around the edges but they will pull over and help your mother change a flat tire or be the first to help neighbors in a flood. Look up economic numbers for Texas, jobs, cost of living numbers, and such and you might be surprised.

#36 4 years ago

Fort Worth area for me.

#37 4 years ago

To the OP....Dallas probably fits your bill the best. Midtown area. If you prefer a more liberal environment, Austin would be better place to land. Just make sure you visit a Buc-ee’s wherever you go!

Edit: corrected suggestions

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

v
    LMFAO.

This, sadly, represent my almost identical experience in Dallas. And it wasn't once. And it wasn't twice. It was *every* time. My brother lives there, and the people I've met seem to be great folks, but it's been really hard to get past the cognitive dissonance of those experiences.

But it absolutely can't be like that everywhere in Dallas, and it can't be like that in all of Texas. Austin and its citizens seem determined to be "different" than the rest of the state, and that place seems fine too. Houston was cool from the time I've spent there. I don't know anything about the politics of the areas, although Texas is assumed to be a pretty conservative state.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

This is my favorite Texas experience, and I believe it reflects on the nice people most Texans are. My buddy and I were in Dallas a few years back and were checking out the sights at SMU--a beautiful campus. We found a nearby BBQ place, ordered and sat down to eat (Texas BBQ is the best, and yes that includes Kansas City). Two really cute college girls saw us--one came to our table and asked "Hey, y'all wanna come over and sit with us?" My buddy was apoplectic, as he figured they were trying to pick us up--and he was very married. I've lived in the south and knew they were just being friendly (and I'm sure they could see by the way we looked/dressed we were not Texans and they were curios). We had a great chat over lunch--never a hint of anything going on but pure Texas hospitality. Something like that would never happen in CA, ever.

That's awesome

#40 4 years ago

Learn to replace the phrase, " I'm getting ready to..." with, "I'm fixin' to..."

#41 4 years ago

+1 for Fort Worth. I grew up in Benbrook. Love that area

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypalooza:

Don’t forget, Some tolerance goes both ways.
    I would prefer to pick where I live based on other factors besides other’s political beliefs. I’ve had good experiences in Texas.

Yeah, see the problem that everyone misses is this:

No, politics doesn't really affect day to day life here in a direct conversational way. BUT...

What DOES get affected? Things like the people that get sent to congress and the senate. How state policy is determined. People deciding to make onerous laws up out of the fucking blue going on about 'safety' bullshit that they made up to push a law through that they wanted, forcing anyone that does abortions to have access to and work out of a surgical center, even though there's very rarely ever any complications that would warrant that, much less life threatening ones. It's things like being complicit in people just brazenly being slapped around by government to fit a religious agenda, because your vote has absolutely no say here in anything but city elections.

IF you're okay with things like that, don't actually vote, or even agree with radical conservative state/US politics, then BY ALL MEANS MOVE HERE...but you'll never be more important to the government than a business, or a religious agenda. If you do care about any of that...good luck finding a voice that won't be slapped down by the overwhelming rural population.

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Bullshit post. Don't conflate Conservatives with one racist asshole.

Then how about you people stop conflating 'liberals' with all the things you think are negative? It's not just one racist asshole. Look at the entire scope of US politics right now. Ridiculous. And no, I don't give two flying f--ks that the majority of Pinside is conservative. Someone asked for opinions about moving here, I've lived here for my entire life. Which one of us is more qualified to say what it's like in Dallas?

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Alan_L:

Learn to replace the phrase, " I'm getting ready to..." with, "I'm fixin' to..."

This is not a thing.

#44 4 years ago

I don't know, I see enough idiots running around in Wisconsin with cowboy hats on, I don't think I could handle their prevalence down there.

To quote the late, great George Carlin:

Getting pretty tired of these guys walking around in cowboy hats and cowboy boots. You ever see these jack-offs? Can’t we kill some of these motherfuckers? Walking around in a fucking cowboy hat. Grown men. It’s not even Halloween for christ-sakes. I say “Hey, Tex, grow up and get yourself a wardrobe consistent with the century you’re living in.” ... Make-believe cowboys… the closest they ever got to a cow, is when they stopped to take a piss at an Arby’s.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

This is not a thing.

If you’ve never heard someone say “I’m fixing to ...” , that’s pretty surprising.

Obviously not everyone says it, but it’s not uncommon.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Then how about you people stop conflating 'liberals' with all the things you think are negative? It's not just one racist asshole. Look at the entire scope of US politics right now. Ridiculous. And no, I don't give two flying f--ks that the majority of Pinside is conservative. Someone asked for opinions about moving here, I've lived here for my entire life. Which one of us is more qualified to say what it's like in Dallas?

I was robbed in downtown Dallas while taking my family to the Aquarium 4 years ago. All Dallas residents are crooks!

This is the point he was making. It's not a true statement but that is how it came across and quite honestly why I made the post I did. Each side will use 1 example and make it the norm which is what is wrong with not only Texas but this whole country these days. This is an every day occurrence around Austin which is why I hate it here so much. With Trump in office it's the Democrats doing it. When Obama was in office it was the Republicans. I just wish one day people, as a whole, would just get over themselves and learn to live with the fact that we are not all the same

True story about being robbed in Dallas but no, I don't think you are all criminals.

No, that's not all directed at you. I just wanted to try and provide an explanation on why, I felt, he said what he did.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

If you’ve never heard someone say “I’m fixing to ...” , that’s pretty surprising.

Isn't it "Ah'm a-fixin' ta..."?

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I just wish one day people, as a whole, would just get over themselves and learn to live with the fact that we are not all the same

I mean...if you really want to hold up the stereotype....my brother is a formerly convicted felon so.... us Dallas people...

Quoted from Pinless:

Only Jeff Foxworthy........ Maybe my parents were just well-spoken. My mom is from Kansas, and my dad basically from Oklahoma, so that might be part of it. I love word etymology and local dialects though.

#49 4 years ago

purchase a minimal W/I (5%) in some shallow stripper oil wells in the Permian Basin.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

Like going to Canada and hearing "eh"

Attended a Shelby Dodge national convention up in Ontario and I swear every conversation had at least a dozen "eh" interjected in it.

Great people, wish the club had an event there again.

There are 245 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-to-texas-advice?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.