Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 245 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Gorgar666
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

six flags (resized).jpg
    193gdsf054vkejpg (resized).jpg
    20200123_185651 (resized).png
    0FD1F462-3FD7-4EA8-9A2B-985A57B4E7ED (resized).jpeg
    tenorq.gif
    tx cat (resized).jpg
    6A1727B9-3918-4693-9352-0A98B5AB7582 (resized).jpeg
    2ED1AD16-BB70-4237-8DB0-652DC8548F4F (resized).jpeg
    download (2) (resized).jpeg
    AR-181018734 (resized).jpg
    YC0p8c.gif
    There are 245 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 4 years ago
    Quoted from marcus0202:

I am apparently the only one on my street not packing. Then there are the mosquitos.

I'll tell you why... Haven't you experienced the size of the mosquitos in Houston? You need to pack heat to protect yourself!
    Houston MosquitoesHouston Mosquitoes

#202 4 years ago

New Jersey is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there......

#203 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

New Jersey is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there......

We have a saying here...last one to leave, please turn off the lights.

If it weren’t for my business, I’d be down in Texas or Florida.

Be nice to go to a place where the politicians don’t view me as an ATM machine for themselves.

#204 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

We have a saying here...last one to leave, please turn off the lights.
    If it weren’t for my business, I’d be down in Texas or Florida.
    Be nice to go to a place where the politicians don’t view me as an ATM machine for themselves.

They'll get to you everywhere eventually.

#205 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

They'll get to you everywhere eventually.

Live in NJ for a year...you’ll see exactly what I mean.

#206 4 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

I love Fort Worth, very nice people.

I used to know a guy from Ft. Worth and he maintained that the large, international airport between Ft. Worth and Dallas was called The Ft.Worth/Dallas Airport.

#207 4 years ago
    Quoted from Alan_L:

I used to know a guy from Ft. Worth and he maintained that the large, international airport between Ft. Worth and Dallas was called The Ft.Worth/Dallas Airport.

Funny joke, but should've asked him why the airport code is DAL then.

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Live in NJ for a year...you’ll see exactly what I mean.

NJ? I have it worse. In in NY, and in the highest taxed county at that.
    I used to work in NJ a lot, and did much of my shopping there. Until the higher gas tax was added, I'd always get gas there too. The gas is still way cheaper down there in many places than it is up by me.
    And...no stupid five cent deposit on every beer can!

#209 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

NJ? I have it worse. In in NY, and in the highest taxed county at that.
    I used to work in NJ a lot, and did much of my shopping there. Until the higher gas tax was added, I'd always get gas there too. The gas is still way cheaper down there in many places than it is up by me.
    And...no stupid five cent deposit on every beer can!

Strange thing about gas in New Jersey... There is a law that you are not allowed to pump your own gas. Attendants can only operate most of the pumps and they carry a card that allows them to operate the gas pump. Most of them appear to be from India or somewhere similar to that. I had no idea, especially the 1st time. I thought the guy was begging for money or something, but he just wanted to pump my gas. I just cannot understand why people would want that in New Jersey. I carry my own luggage, drive my own truck, pump my own gas and I am fully grown... I don't need some guy I have never seen pumping my gas. But I did allow it, because that is the law in New Jersey...

#210 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Strange thing about gas in New Jersey... There is a law that you are not allowed to pump your own gas. Attendants can only operate most of the pumps and they carry a card that allows them to operate the gas pump. Most of them appear to be from India or somewhere similar to that. I had no idea, especially the 1st time. I thought the guy was begging for money or something, but he just wanted to pump my gas. I just cannot understand why people would want that in New Jersey. I carry my own luggage, drive my own truck, pump my own gas and I am fully grown... I don't need some guy I have never seen pumping my gas. But I did allow it, because that is the law in New Jersey...

Yeah, that's one thing I always disliked about getting gas in NJ.
    Sometimes I'd pump it myself anyway, but then they started using that access card. Sometimes I still stop the pump myself and drive off if I'm using my credit card.

#211 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Another strange thing about NJ, always cheapest (or close to cheapest) gas prices on the east coast. Whatever else they’re taxing, it’s not the gas.

#212 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Another strange thing about NJ, always cheapest (or close to cheapest) gas prices on the east coast. Whatever else they’re taxing, it’s not the gas.

It's gone up considerably though in the last few years due to a big gas tax increase. The prices are much more variable there now than they use to be. Some places have prices just as high as in upstate NY,
    and the prices on the GSP and NJTPK are no bargain.

#213 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

It's gone up considerably though in the last few years due to a big gas tax increase. The prices are much more variable there now than they use to be. Some places have prices just as high as in upstate NY,
    and the prices on the GSP and NJTPK are no bargain.

Wow, big change then. My data is admittedly 5 years old, but growing up in New England, Jersey was always famous for cheap gas (and the weird no self pumping rule).

#214 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

In in NY, and in the highest taxed county at that.

Well jr you must live in Westchester?

#215 4 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

Well jr you must live in Westchester?

Ja wohl!

#216 4 years ago

Get a Texas map. Draw a line from Austin going east all the way to the Texas/Louisiana state line. Next, draw a line going south all the way to McAllen. Stay out of the area encompassed in those lines. Outside of those lines the humidity is not quite as bad.

This is a simplified observation but you get the idea. Outside these lines it is just hot.

#217 4 years ago

Well now, we go from our air conditioned homes to our air conditioned cars to our air conditioned work.

What was that about the heat & humidity?

#218 4 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Well now, we go from our air conditioned homes to our air conditioned cars to our air conditioned work. What was that about the heat & humidity?

A/C makes many places entirely livable that would otherwise be pretty rough for three-quarters of the year. But there is something to be said for stepping outside on a cloudless sunny day and just enjoying the weather without immediately being drenched in sweat.

Of course different strokes for different folks, there's a sock for every foot, etc. And luckily so or Colorado would be even more crowded than it is.

#219 4 years ago

For the non-Texans, here in north central Texas we get four to six weeks of beautiful weather in the spring, and again in the fall. Other than that, heat, wet and cold, although you probably wouldn’t call our cold really cold.

On the bright side, if three or more snow flakes are spotted in the air, it is 24 hour news and the city shuts down. Take a day off.

#220 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Funny joke, but should've asked him why the airport code is DAL then.

I've flown into y'alls airport plenty.

It's DFW, not DAL

#221 4 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

It's DFW, not DAL

DAL-Dallas Love Field
    DFW- Dallas Fort Worth (or Fort Worth Dallas if you're from FW)

#222 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

DAL-Dallas Love Field
    DFW- Dallas Fort Worth (or Fort Worth Dallas is you're from FW)

I've flown into Love Field too.

Not only is that airport in Dallas, it also appears to be in 1975. It could use some help from Chip and Joanna Gaines.

#223 4 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

It's DFW, not DAL

Either way it's not FWD, so my point stands.

#224 4 years ago

I can give you a tip on dress, but this might pertain more to us So Cal'ers. My buddy and I went out to breakfast in Dallas when we were there one fall morning. It was overcast and pretty cool, perfect weather for shorts and a hoody (at least in So Cal). Fortunately I knew better than to dress like that in Texas. Some dude who was obviously from So Cal rolled up into the parking lot, got out dressed just like that and headed for the restaurant. One of the two Texans I was standing next to turned to his friend and remarked "Look at that dumb ass from Caleefornia--wearing shorts and a sweatshirt!" I think the oblivious surfer also had on white socks to complete the trifecta ensemble failure. Yup, Texas is different--leave your red pants at home, too...

#225 4 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

I can give you a tip on dress, but this might pertain more to us So Cal'ers. My buddy and I went out to breakfast in Dallas when we were there one fall morning. It was overcast and pretty cool, perfect weather for shorts and a hoody (at least in So Cal). Fortunately I knew better than to dress like that in Texas. Some dude who was obviously from So Cal rolled up into the parking lot, got out dressed just like that and headed for the restaurant. One of the two Texans I was standing next to turned to his friend and remarked "Look at that dumb ass from Caleefornia--wearing shorts and a sweatshirt!" I think the oblivious surfer also had on white socks to complete the trifecta ensemble failure. Yup, Texas is different--leave your red pants at home, too...

It blows my mind that some people care that much about how other people dress. Seriously, I just don't get it.

#226 4 years ago

Moving to Texas? Get some Dingo Boots with the underslung Heel. Keep them plain with no toe trim or heel glam. You might be confused with some others. No suede, your boots need to be polished with wax. Give a new pair the Arcticseal method to take the new off, makes E'm waterproof and broken in looking.

#227 4 years ago

My friend, who is a massive dude who was a lineman in college football and about as manly as you can get, wore some sneakers while visiting Texas. Some dude said to him, “nice sneakers, are you gay?” In all seriousness.

True story.

#228 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Some dude said to him, “nice sneakers, are you gay?”

I assume that was decades ago.
    Cause that don't happen in Austin. Everyone wears sneakers or hipster flipflops.

#229 4 years ago

I lived in Houston metro from 2004-2019. I now live in Amarillo.

Reading this thread, I am pretty surprised at the emphasis of the politics of people's neighbors as opposed to how vibrant the pinball scenes are in multiple locations in the state. Having participated in the growth of the pin-community in Houston, I would say there was a very, very broad range of political personalities. Guess what? It didn't matter at all. We all got along and the mantra still stands, "But did you have a good time?" I have been gone 9 months and miss the living hell out of the PEOPLE, several of whom were absolutely on the opposite end of the political spectrum from myself. I honestly cannot remember a fight/ argument about politics within our pin-family. Obviously there are differences, but folks are also respectful too.

Granted, the politics of a given community matter with regard to taxes, schools, and so-forth. You gotta live there too, right? I get that. Shop around and you'll find the right landing spot for you. Texas is tremendously diverse, as opposed to the stereotypes of everyone being cowboys or rednecks. That pays off in spades in eating establishments, music, the arts, and entertainment. We are genuinely friendly, unless you prefer to pull the raging A-hole from up north routine, and we have a consistent response to that too, LOL; as do most places.

It's been my experience, that should you present yourself as a decent human being, solicit people's feedback according to your preferences, and crack a smile every now and then; you'll get some solid counsel. Good luck!!!

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Cause that don't happen in Austin. Everyone wears sneakers or hipster flipflops.

It was a while ago, although not in Austin. It was a good laugh. But as I said, I like Texas. I’ve been there a fair amount, and been to Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, College Station, but not Austin. I never had anything but a good time there. Hope to go to Austin sometime.

#231 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Austin is its own little world where just about anything goes--like your town a lot and will be back for another visit. I was just there and talked to a musician playing at The Driskill who has lived there for many years after moving to Austin from Santa Barbara. We were joking about So Cal and Texas when I remarked that Austin isn't Texas. He laughed and knew exactly what I was talking about, and said Austin was about the only place in Texas he would fit in.

#232 4 years ago
    Quoted from JNX:

...Reading this thread, I am pretty surprised at the emphasis of the politics of people's neighbors as opposed to how vibrant the pinball scenes are in multiple locations in the state....

Some people (on both sides of the political debate) have been advocating excessive and highly defensive group identity, instead of outward-focused respect and community building.

#233 4 years ago
    Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

Some people (on both sides of the political debate) have been advocating excessive and highly defensive group identity, instead of outward-focused respect and community building.

That's too bad. That wasn't my experience. Ever.
    Sucks if that's how it might be now. The fun and comradery always trumped that crap.

#234 4 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Austin isn't Texas. He laughed and knew exactly what I was talking about, and said Austin was about the only place in Texas he would fit in.

Unfortunately; that is very true. Austin is the So Cal of Texas. All the So Cal people are selling their 3/4mill houses and moving to Austin at 100ish per day; and jacking up our property values. One hand great, the other... I just spent a new Stern pinball machine in Property Taxes. :sigh:

#235 4 years ago

That sucks that your property gets reappraised and your taxes go up just because people want to move there. Looks like the property tax overall in Texas is pretty high compared to other states. Well I guess there is still one last good thing left in CA which is Prop 13 which stops this from happening. Which of course they are desperately working to take away from us.

#236 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

That sucks that your property gets reappraised and your taxes go up just because people want to move there. Looks like the property tax overall in Texas is pretty high compared to other states. Well I guess there is still one last good thing left in CA which is Prop 13 which stops this from happening. Which of course they are desperately working to take away from us.

Also factor in that Texas has no State Income tax. So, you end up paying relatively higher property taxes. Given that is almost entirely going to my kids’ school district, I’m ok with that.

#237 4 years ago

Yes, our property taxes are high, but it does seem like we get a lot for our money.

And Allen's schools are about as good as they get...

#238 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yes, our property taxes are high, but it does seem like we get a lot for our money.
    And Allen's schools are about as good as they get...

My favorite is the Birdville Independent School District.

#239 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Unfortunately; that is very true. Austin is the So Cal of Texas. All the So Cal people are selling their 3/4mill houses and moving to Austin at 100ish per day; and jacking up our property values. One hand great, the other... I just spent a new Stern pinball machine in Property Taxes. :sigh:

Yeah, that is a major bummer. We also did that to Oregon, Nevada and Idaho (and probably a few other states I don't know about) as well. Sorry about that...

#240 4 years ago

As others have stated; I can live with a NIB property tax; as long as the state remains Income Tax free. Thankfully; we passed a bond last year which prevents the legislative body from inacting an income tax without voter approval (IIRC).

#241 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I can live with a NIB property tax

I wish I had NIB property taxes.

#242 4 years ago

There are probably good reasons 100+ people per week are FLOODING in to Austin, and gods only know how many into the rest of Texas. It's a great state! The natives are some of the friendliest people I've met on the planet. Bring your friendliness and good heart, and you'll fall in love with Texas and Texans--yes, the cowboys too! Just remember to also bring your best manners. Southerners don't cotton to disrespectful behavior (and that includes talking "politics" or asking a lady her age! ;-p)

#243 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yes, Houston weather can by brutal (especially the humidity). By contrast, Dallas summers are hot, but not nearly as humid.

Yeah the humidity sucks, I'll take dry heat any day of the week. That and without a car you screwed in Houston, everything is spread out.
    My dad took the metro the last few years before he retired, when he went worked in town. Said it was 10 times better then driving. Think I'd shoot myself if I had to make that drive everyday during rush hour.

1 month later
    #244 4 years ago

Just know the six flags that have flown over Texas,
    Some residents still prefer the confederate flag. Darn Yankees
    Brush up on your Spanish.
    I lived in Houston for a year and a half in the early 80s.
    Mostly hot and humid, bad traffic, even saw it snow one day.

six flags (resized).jpgsix flags (resized).jpg
    1 year later
    #245 2 years ago

If you’re moving to Texas. Be prepared for under handed bandits state wide.

There are 245 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-to-texas-advice/page/5?hl=cjchand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.