Quoted from hool10:
So last year was the first time I have been outside of an airport one time in Houston for a layover going to Vegas. I went to TPF and was just blown away by the culture, food, people, stuff to do and weather and probably other stuff. I have lived near Lowell, MA for 30 years and 2 years in Manchester, NH.
.....What places should I avoid because I hear the east part is fully (sic) of hardcore Republicans, Austin is full of drugs, further South looks like something from Breaking Bad? I have no clue but I'm a single 32yr old that leans mostly in the middle. I really don't want to turn this into a "oh man stay out of our state Yankee".
Hilarious. So, to be as helpful as I can, I will key these answers to your specific statements:
"What places should I avoid because I hear the east part is fully of hardcore Republicans,"
- Republicans make up the voting majority in nearly every county in Texas except for urban areas (DFW, Houston, Austin etc) and Southwest Texas (the Valley etc.), so stay away from small town Texas if you want to avoid unpleasant discussions with people that feel differently than you.
"Austin is full of drugs,"
- too bad, because it is perfectly safe from those hardcore Republicans. Having recently visited our Capital, I can assure you that it is, indeed, full of drugs, so you might want to stay away from there too.
"further South looks like something from Breaking Bad?"
- again, too bad, because it is also perfectly safe from hardcore Republicans. While I have lived in both Laredo and Beeville, I will confess here that I've never seen Breaking Bad, so I can't comment on the comparative optics. If Breaking Bad has a lot of trailer parks, and bald headed men, then yes, it does look like something out of Breaking Bad, so you better stay away from that part as well.
"I have no clue..."
- well, we are a polite bunch down here, so I'll let that one go.
"I really don't want to turn this into a "oh man stay out of our state Yankee"
- no, I wouldn't say that. Texas, especially it's cities, are home to some of the most diverse populations you will find in the country, and, for the most part we get along just fine, even with northerners. What we aren't terribly good at tolerating are people that come here thinking they are somehow better than us. Remember that, and you will do just fine here.