47 days ago

Topic Stats

• 243 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by hocuslocus
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

193gdsf054vkejpg (resized).jpg
    20200123_185651 (resized).png
    0FD1F462-3FD7-4EA8-9A2B-985A57B4E7ED (resized).jpeg
    tenorq.gif
    tx cat (resized).jpg
    6A1727B9-3918-4693-9352-0A98B5AB7582 (resized).jpeg
    2ED1AD16-BB70-4237-8DB0-652DC8548F4F (resized).jpeg
    download (2) (resized).jpeg
    AR-181018734 (resized).jpg
    YC0p8c.gif

There are 243 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 46 days ago

I celebrate regional diversity and often employ the phrase, "I'm fixing to have to...." I view it as an idiom and therefore it doesn't need to make literal sense. Spent a few years in College Station. Really enjoyed working for the university there and being a short drive from Austin, Galveston and Fort Worth. Great state, great people; enough in TX for everyone.

#52 46 days ago

It don't matter who's in Austin
    Bob Wills is still the king

#53 46 days ago

And nobody talks about El Paso. Hell, even Amarillo does not get an honorable mention. Too far west?

#54 46 days ago

Texans remind me of Italians or Greek people, very proud of their heritage and want everyone to know it.

I mean I love Florida, but I don’t have a State of Florida bumper sticker on my car, flag flying at my house or any other state pride type paraphernalia.

Not dissing anyone, just making an observation.

#55 46 days ago
    Quoted from Frax:v
    As I witness a guy that rolled by in the truck while there's a lowkey protest going on to remove some statue or other (that did end up getting removed) a few miles from my house... as my wife and I are walking around playing Pokemon Go and trying to figure out what the hubbub is about, this guy rolls by and goes "F YOU, NI---- LOVERS!" to the two of us. We weren't even there for whatever else was going on.
    The guy made like three or four more passes before the police pulled him over. But yes... SO TOLERANT AND ACCEPTING HERE IN DALLAS...
    LMFAO.

grown man playing pokeman go???? prob deserved to be yelled at.

#56 46 days ago

Avoid Austin at all costs. Rampant crime, defecation on the streets, homeless explosion, drug paraphernalia and needles everywhere and cowboys walking around with six guns on their belts just looking for someone to shoot...

California, especially San Francisco doesn’t seem to have any of these problems.

#57 46 days ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

And people like this is exactly why the world is in such a shit state.

#58 46 days ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

At least they were playing outside. Getting some vitamin D.

#59 46 days ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Just make sure you visit a Buc-ee’s wherever you go!

I second the visit to a Buc-ees

#60 46 days ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

I second the visit to a Buc-ees

Geez, people talk about Buckee's like it is a destination site. It is a gas station on steroids, is all. But it sure smells like tourist trap Clean rest rooms, I gotta say that

#61 46 days ago
    Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Getting some vitamin D.

They call that "Skin cancer" now.
    Native Texans will be fine but the folks moving there, not so much.

#62 46 days ago

My advice. Be yourself and you'll be fine. Me experiences living there for 18 months in Irving Tx were great. People at the very conservative club I joined were awesome. I smoked pot while playing golf for money against the best players in the club. Once they realized it really was for pain, they would try to accommodate me. I believe its in how you present yourself to others. I'm polite and enjoy people. And the real Texans at the club were some of the best people I've known. I'm very different, yet was invited to away outings with the guys when others wouldn't be invited. They treated me the way I treated them. The weirdest part is, these guys are very similar to the guys at the club here in Ca. If your a glass half full person, you will find incredible people all over Texas. I know I did.

#63 46 days ago

I wouldn't, but at least be near a place the serves good Mexican food or one of those big steaks. And make sure your house is sealed up good to keep those nasty bugs out.

#64 46 days ago
    Quoted from Davidus56:

Avoid Austin at all costs. Rampant crime, defecation on the streets, homeless explosion, drug paraphernalia and needles everywhere and cowboys walking around with six guns on their belts just looking for someone to shoot...
    California, especially San Francisco doesn’t seem to have any of these problems.

LOL This made me absolutely crack up. You are too transparent!

#65 46 days ago

"Better not go to TX...they'll f' you up" Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with TX. Hell, I live 13 miles from Baltimore and there was 12 people shot, 5 fatally last night. There's pro's and cons to live everywhere but as long as you're happy then who cares.

YC0p8c.gif

#66 46 days ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Something like that would never happen in CA, ever.

At a red light I was riding shotgun the other day in my wife’s Mazda with our 2 kids in the back...while I was just gazing out the right side of the window with my sunglasses on, I noticed just outside of my field of vision in my peripheral some dude a few lanes over staring hard at me with his shades on...I realize he’s starting to boil so I keep on looking in his semi direction to see how hard he blows...sure enough he hastily whips off his shades to stare me down with his bare eyes...I don’t even flinch...and a moment later he goes full super nova “what F are you looking at you co*k sucker mother F’r”....light changes to green and we drive off...soon enough he’s making erratic lane changes and begins tailgating us...full blown road rage car chase

This all happened within 20 seconds of waiting for a light to turn green in a high end part of Ca., I never said a word, made any gesture or even acknowledged any of his actions...for all he knew I could have simply been a blind man looking partially in his direction with sunglasses on.

#67 46 days ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, see the problem that everyone misses is this:
    No, politics doesn't really affect day to day life here in a direct conversational way. BUT...
    What DOES get affected? Things like the people that get sent to congress and the senate. How state policy is determined. People deciding to make onerous laws up out of the fucking blue going on about 'safety' bullshit that they made up to push a law through that they wanted, forcing anyone that does abortions to have access to and work out of a surgical center, even though there's very rarely ever any complications that would warrant that, much less life threatening ones. It's things like being complicit in people just brazenly being slapped around by government to fit a religious agenda, because your vote has absolutely no say here in anything but city elections.
    IF you're okay with things like that, don't actually vote, or even agree with radical conservative state/US politics, then BY ALL MEANS MOVE HERE...but you'll never be more important to the government than a business, or a religious agenda. If you do care about any of that...good luck finding a voice that won't be slapped down by the overwhelming rural population.

Then how about you people stop conflating 'liberals' with all the things you think are negative? It's not just one racist asshole. Look at the entire scope of US politics right now. Ridiculous. And no, I don't give two flying f--ks that the majority of Pinside is conservative. Someone asked for opinions about moving here, I've lived here for my entire life. Which one of us is more qualified to say what it's like in Dallas?

Who hurt you frax? I hope you find peace one day.

#68 46 days ago

The "consider the politics" discussion has some merit on both sides. On the one hand, most places you go if you're decent to others they'll probably be decent to you. Of course there are exceptions here and there, but that's got to cover 90% or so of America, and probably the same world-wide.

On the other hand, politics aren't just a social club, they do have real world consequences. So if the political decisions being made in a location -- taxes, school funding, infrastructure spending, school curriculum, access to abortion, etc. on the local and state level, plus whatever the US Congressmen and Senators are up to -- are going to bother you, it makes sense to take that into consideration before moving. Moreover, different places have different cultures about how and whether politics are discussed (along with religion and a host of other "sensitive" topics). So if you don't mind having neighbors with different political points of view, you might still be turned off if your new city or town is littered with yard signs and everyone talks politics and church all of the time.

I have no idea what the "politics/religion/etc. talk" culture is in Texas. Given that it's so big, there are probably several different ones. But it's one more thing to consider when you're visiting, along with the hundred other things you'd consider before moving across the country.

PS: Politics aside, why has no one mention the weather yet? Aren't the summers brutally hot and humid?

#69 46 days ago

Ok let me clarify some things because like some people flipped the F out and then I somehow ended up with a warning. I really don't care about your political leanings at all really but I may disagree with you. I have some friends who voted and will vote again for Trump and I'm like "hey, you do you man but don't parade it around".

Let me put it this way. When I was getting my car rental the 3 ladies at the desk made me a list of barbeque and Mexican food restaurants and were INCREDIBLY nice. We literally talked for about 20min. That also happened with the bartenders too. People were just nice and said "hello". I felt actually home sick because I wanted someone to not say "hello" back or look down if you made eye contact to feel "normal". Some people were from across the world (not for TPF) for business. You don't have many people that are really "nice" in New England. It's literally like pulling teeth. A good example is my manager gave us all some chocolates and scratch tickets for Christmas and I was the only one who bought him some candy as a "thank you". It's really a take all and keep it for your family extremely close/limited pool of friends in New England.

With the drug stuff you have to remember that Trump stated that Manchester, NH is a drug den. That is a fact! There is a highway corridor that is I-93 that goes under Boston straight through the middle of NH and any major city on that corridor has drug/violence issues because they hand the drugs off so it can go east/west like a postal worker because NH is mainly a vertical state. All the New England states are drugged and MA just made it legal finally after being baked since hippies were around. When certain players from certain states go to some houses the owners always say "please smoke it in your car". It's always a ME, NH player getting baked before a tournament. The owners always have to walk out and say to them to take it somewhere else to and it's so disrespectful.

I could go on and on but I have my reasons for wanting to move. Sure the weather can get hot but I hate having about 1 month of the entire year that is nice here.

Ok so Dallas and Austin sound promising. What places would you folks recommend to check out? I want to check out the Alamo and my parents have told me it's small. They make it sound like a fortress in history class but it's really a small church?

#70 46 days ago

Texas born and bred. Currently live in Frisco about 12 mins from the venue (my extra rooms are now full from other TPF attendees from out of State). Lived here most of my life; some of the best food you will find anywhere in the world can be found in Texas. BBQ and Mexican are top notch, followed by great steaks. There are a few great authentic Chinese restaurants that serve dishes I only found in China. Most people are great, but over the last 10 years Texas has become more transient, thus the 'Good Ole Boys' are being replaced by people from all over the world. Yes, we have sky scrapers, headquarters, traffic and crime like most States, but we also have a ranch in west Texas (Brewster County) that went on the market recently that is 420,000 acres (that is bigger than NYC).

Dallas - good music scene; great food; great arts; tons of things to do
    Houston - decent music scene; good food; good arts; tons of things to do; close to the ocean if you want to head south to Galveston and do some fishing!
    Austin - amazing music scene; great food; great arts, Lake Travis, lots of things to do

Let me know if you need a guide to anywhere/food/music you are looking for in any Texas city, and I'll get you on the right track.

Enjoy your trip!

#71 46 days ago
    Quoted from hool10:

want to check out the Alamo and my parents have told me it's small. They make it sound like a fortress in history class but it's really a small church?

Check out the Missions in San Antonio; more impressive than the Alamo ... and yes, it is small.

#72 46 days ago

Used to work for a company with a marketing office in Houston, spent a fair bit of time down there in the 90's. All I can say is I had nothing but positive experiences with the people down there. Very friendly and seemingly happy to meet your acquaintance.

Climate in Houston is terrible though, unless you like 100% humidity and 100degrees+ in the summer months. Seems nice in the edge seasons though.

As for politics, well word on the street is Texas is on the verge of turning Blue anyway...

#73 46 days ago

Don't touch an armadillo, lots 'o diseased ones.

#74 46 days ago

Wow lots of Texans here on pinside.Last time I was in Austin it was a very nice place.Sadly it was was August 27 1990.The day we lost Stevie Ray Vaughn

#75 46 days ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

well word on the street is Texas is on the verge of turning Blue anyway...Negative.

#76 46 days ago

I love Texas. The people, both liberals or conservatives of Texas are some of the best people this country has. Every visit is enjoyable. I’m envious of the passion the Texans have for the state, except for Frax.

#77 46 days ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Check out the Missions in San Antonio; more impressive than the Alamo ... and yes, it is small.

I came to San Antonio in 1976 for high school. Went to college at UT in Austin.

Spent some time in Denver in 80s

Great culture, you’ll never meet nicer people

Despite going by it 100’s of times, never been to the Alamo

San Antonio is closer to Corpus Christi, Rockport and Port Aransas. Great fun beaches, fishing. South Padre island further south

#78 46 days ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

Wow lots of Texans here on pinside.Last time I was in Austin it was a very nice place.Sadly it was was August 27 1990.The day we lost Stevie Ray Vaughn

Oh my god, what was that like? The town must have gone silent

#79 46 days ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Ok let me clarify some things because like some people flipped the F out and then I somehow ended up with a warning. I really don't care about your political leanings at all really but I may disagree with you. I have some friends who voted and will vote again for Trump and I'm like "hey, you do you man but don't parade it around".
    Let me put it this way. When I was getting my car rental the 3 ladies at the desk made me a list of barbeque and Mexican food restaurants and were INCREDIBLY nice. We literally talked for about 20min. That also happened with the bartenders too. People were just nice and said "hello". I felt actually home sick because I wanted someone to not say "hello" back or look down if you made eye contact to feel "normal". Some people were from across the world (not for TPF) for business. You don't have many people that are really "nice" in New England. It's literally like pulling teeth. A good example is my manager gave us all some chocolates and scratch tickets for Christmas and I was the only one who bought him some candy as a "thank you". It's really a take all and keep it for your family extremely close/limited pool of friends in New England.
    With the drug stuff you have to remember that Trump stated that Manchester, NH is a drug den. That is a fact! There is a highway corridor that is I-93 that goes under Boston straight through the middle of NH and any major city on that corridor has drug/violence issues because they hand the drugs off so it can go east/west like a postal worker because NH is mainly a vertical state. All the New England states are drugged and MA just made it legal finally after being baked since hippies were around. When certain players from certain states go to some houses the owners always say "please smoke it in your car". It's always a ME, NH player getting baked before a tournament. The owners always have to walk out and say to them to take it somewhere else to and it's so disrespectful.
    I could go on and on but I have my reasons for wanting to move. Sure the weather can get hot but I hate having about 1 month of the entire year that is nice here.
    Ok so Dallas and Austin sound promising. What places would you folks recommend to check out? I want to check out the Alamo and my parents have told me it's small. They make it sound like a fortress in history class but it's really a small church?

You said you are a welder. You might want to look at the oil industry in Midland-Odessa. That's Permian Basin oil and fracking. Oil can be boom or bust but it is hot right now.

It might be a shock for you, though. For all intents and purposes, if it is not the desert, you can see the desert from there. There are few trees. I don't know your driving style, but the interstates are 80 mph posted. And some of the two lane highways are 70 mph posted---and there is light traffic and lots of open space.

#80 46 days ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Oh my god, what was that like? The town must have gone silent

It was very surreal.I had been an AMT for Delta for a couple of years and was looking to transfer out of Atlanta.Austin was one of my top choices and I had been there a few days looking around.It came over the news around lunchtime and you are right everything just slowed to a stop.SRV was revered in Austin for sure.

#81 46 days ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

PS: Politics aside, why has no one mention the weather yet? Aren't the summers brutally hot and humid?

I think weather is all relative. I lived in Austin for a few years in the 90s and people there were surprised when I called the weather dry. Originally I'm from Montreal which gets extremely humid, so while Austin was hot it didn't feel humid to me at the time. Now Florida in August, that's a different story....

I'll say I loved Austin, very nice people and being from the north east originally where people put their head down while they walk, it was quite the adjustment when everyone wanted to say hello. I kind of laugh when people mention the stereotype of Canadians always being friendly and all when to me the people in Montreal growing up were kinda rude, whereas Austin and Los Angeles where I live now the people are just so nice in comparison.

Race and religion would come up but not too often. The industry I worked in at the time (video game programmer) didn't have any such issues, but the tech companies my wife worked at at the time had older people and religion and race would come up more often which would make her uncomfortable. Likewise as you get to the outskirts of Austin stuff like that comes up more often, so we'd just keep quiet and ride it out when it would. It won't be as tolerant as places like LA, for example a boyfriend of someone I worked with was a cop and he mentioned how you'd want to remove any gay pride type stickers from your car before travelling around Texas just to be safe, stuff like that, but generally speaking it was fine most of the time in Austin proper.

Austin is a good town, we had fun there. Was fun to watch the bats, never got old seeing armadillos run around, and where else can you get a pizza delivered in an old Cadillac with a long horn on the hood? Makes me crave some Whattaburger and Mr Gattis...

#82 46 days ago

1. Alamo is small. Go to the other missions around SA (that’s San Antonio for you non-Texans). They’re less touristy and nicer.
    2. While you’re in SA check out the river walk. Food is overpriced but it’s a fun atmosphere. For really good Mexican food go to La Fogata in SA. Roadside taco trucks are also probably fantastic. Find one with about 10 migrant workers eating lunch there and you’ve got the right place.
    3. Houston people don’t like Dallas and Dallas people don’t like Houston. It is known. Houston is humid as hell and Dallas is hot as hell. Make your choice.
    4. Austin is weird. They like it that way. I think Austin is trying to become the San Francisco of the south. Austin people are proud they’re weird. The rest of Texas just thinks they’re weird.
    5. Find a good barbecue joint. Not one of those chain ones, I mean a good local one.
    6. Dallas is more cosmopolitan, Fort Worth more cowboy. I prefer Fort Worth but YMMV.
    7. It’s a helluva big state. Explore!
    8. Yes there are red necks, no they aren’t the majority.
    9. Go eat at Snow’s barbecue in Lexington at least once. Yeah it’s a drive. Just do it.
    10. Whataburger.

#83 46 days ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Gizzard:

Dallas is more cosmopolitan, Fort Worth more cowboy. I prefer Fort Worth but YMMV.

He has to go to Cowtown ! There are real cowboys there. And good beer. Just don't go on a real hot summer day.

#85 46 days ago
    Quoted from Davidus56:

As someone who has lived in Texas my whole life and who has gone to Austin regularly for the last 30 years, I find your description laughable. Austin is having growing pains from essentially doubling their population over the last 20 years or so, but it's a thriving vibrant city in every way imaginable. Good food, bars, nightlife, and pinball if you are so inclined. It's also increasingly unaffordable compared to much of Texas. That said, I'd move there in a heartbeat if I were so inclined and could swing the costs.

#86 46 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Yeah, it's real hard living with us conservatives here in North Texas also. After all, strong work ethic, personal responsibility, fair taxes, property rights, originalist constitutional outlook, defending the innocent, family values, respect for authority, independent thought, tolerance for people who don't have the same beliefs/values as we do . . . must be a real downer to be around people like us for any length of time.

Funny, you don’t sound like a conservative at all.

#87 46 days ago
    Quoted from mikeflan:

As someone who has lived in Texas my whole life and who has gone to Austin regularly for the last 30 years, I find your description laughable. Austin is having growing pains from essentially doubling their population over the last 20 years or so, but it's a thriving vibrant city in every way imaginable. Good food, bars, nightlife, and pinball if you are so inclined. It's also increasingly unaffordable compared to much of Texas. That said, I'd move there in a heartbeat if I were so inclined and could swing the costs.

I thought that was posted tongue-in-cheek as the poster is a resident of Austin. Austin is my favorite city in the country and the destination for my 50th awesome party birthday bash extravaganza.

#88 46 days ago

Me and my family went to Galveston and had a great time a few years ago. Nice town. I have never seen a Walmart so crowded as there.

#89 46 days ago
    Quoted from mikeflan:

Pretty sure he posted that as a joke to keep the squares out.

#90 46 days ago

There’s a lot of fear mongering going on in this post. I’ve lived in Texas nearly all my life (46 years, save some time in San Jose) and I will say that all the craziness about drugs, robbery, etc in here strikes me as a bit insane.

It’s the same story you get with any state. If you live in a shithole, shithole things happen. If you live in a nice area, other stuff happens.

Are there super conservatives here? Yes. Are there super liberals here? Yes.

The point is, any place you live is what you make of it. The state has a very reasonable cost of living, no state income tax, and generally nice people. People here are hard workers, want to do a good job and just take home a good paycheck.

What you make of your life when you’re here is totally up to you.

#91 46 days ago

I would bet it is the same way now, but do not speed in Texas! I got a lot of tickets there in the 80’s and 90’s. The state patrol were everywhere.

Zoom zoom

#92 46 days ago

Coming to Texas? You and everyone else:

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/01-06-20-texas-led-us-population-growth-from-2018-to-2019-says-census-bureau/

tl;dr version:

July 2018 to July 2019, the population of Texas grew by 367,215. (That's one whole Arlington's worth)
      Texas accounted for nearly one-fourth of the country’s population growth from 2018 to 2019
      From April 2010 Census to July 2019, Texas added 3,849,790 residents. (Just shy of the whole population of Oklahoma)

Most of these people are landing in and around Dallas and Houston. The DFW Metroplex is about 7.5 million and the Houston MSA is 7 million people. I've lived in Houston all my life so I'm used to the growth here, but for perspective on Texas' insane growth I just go to Dallas; the sprawl in every direction never ceases to amaze me. Places that used to be distant and rural look no different any other suburb, or are getting there fast. I don't know what goes on between them and Corsicana but there's a six lane highway for all 55 miles between them. Houston built the widest freeway on the planet and it's busier than it ever was before in less than 10 years. Traffic is heavier and edgier than ever before. Live close to where you work, if you have any sense.

#93 45 days ago
    Quoted from hool10:

.....I have lived near Lowell, MA for 30 years and 2 years in Manchester, NH.

What places should I avoid because I hear the east part is fully of hardcore Republicans, Austin is full of drugs, further South looks like something from Breaking Bad? I have no clue but I'm a single 32yr old that leans mostly in the middle. I really don't want to turn this into a "oh man stay out of our state Yankee".

Two things:
    1) I too lived in Lowell Mass, graduated from Lowell Tech Institute (UMass Lowell now). Lived in Lowell and saw it rise in stature again by embracing its' Industrial Revolution mill town technology and restoring the canals and mill wooden turbines that drive the textile machinery. Great old historical town!

2) If you don't wear your politics or religion on your sleeve then you won't have any problem anywhere in Texas. That applies to any State you go to, not just Texas. Just keep yourself focused on enjoying the people you meet and the places you visit.

3) You have too many stereotypes about Texas! You should not categorize Texas into these zones any more than you should in other states. Generally the larger the city the more diverse the mix of red/blue people and the smaller the town the more concentrated the red/blue people. That is about it. Again, if you go into a place or start a conversation wearing your opinions on your sleeve then you may have pushback, just like in any State in the US.

4) I think of Texas more in geographic zones: Prairie (north&west), Hill Country (Austin and west/south), Piney woods country (east), and Coastal (Galveston/Corpus). Each has its' own charm and weather patterns. Right now I am moving out of the DFW area and going more towards the Hill Country to get away from the flatland feeling and be in hilly terrain.

#94 45 days ago
    Quoted from P2K:

Two things:
    1) I too lived in Lowell Mass, graduated from Lowell Tech Institute (UMass Lowell now). Lived in Lowell and saw it rise in stature again by embracing its' Industrial Revolution mill town technology and restoring the canals and mill wooden turbines that drive the textile machinery. Great old historical town!
    2) If you don't wear your politics or religion on your sleeve then you won't have any problem anywhere in Texas. That applies to any State you go to, not just Texas. Just keep yourself focused on enjoying the people you meet and the places you visit.
    3) You have too many stereotypes about Texas! You should not categorize Texas into these zones any more than you should in other states. Generally the larger the city the more diverse the mix of red/blue people and the smaller the town the more concentrated the red/blue people. That is about it. Again, if you go into a place or start a conversation wearing your opinions on your sleeve then you may have pushback, just like in any State in the US.
    4) I think of Texas more in geographic zones: Prairie (north&west), Hill Country (Austin and west/south), Piney woods country (east), and Coastal (Galveston/Corpus). Each has its' own charm and weather patterns. Right now I am moving out of the DFW area and going more towards the Hill Country to get away from the flatland feeling and be in hilly terrain.

Only thing I can add is if you are allergy prone, be sure to go see a specialist if you move to Austin. Cedar Fever is horrible this time of year.

#95 45 days ago
    Quoted from hool10:

You don't have many people that are really "nice" in New England. It's literally like pulling teeth.

I have lived in New Bedford for pretty much my whole life. It is sad to say, but I have to agree with this. When I go up north to New Hampshire every now and then it is like a whole new world. Even just one state away makes a difference. Its nice to go somewhere and not get flipped off by a passing car, swerving around you when you are in a crosswalk trying to cross the street. I am not saying all, but a lot of the people here are rude and inconsiderate.

#96 45 days ago

Stay away from the steers.

#97 45 days ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

Only thing I can add is if you are allergy prone, be sure to go see a specialist if you move to Austin. Cedar Fever is horrible this time of year.

2nd that. I've known several people that went to UT or moved to Austin and got horrible allergies. Weather does get hot and that seems to bother some. You get used to it. The humidity in Houston sucks but if that's all I got to complain about then I'll take it. Flip side is winter is typically mild so you can do outdoor activities year round. Traffic is getting pretty bad everywhere as well and tons of development. That's the result of good economic conditions but long commutes get to be a grind.

#98 45 days ago

I guess I'll chime in here. For reference, I'm a 3rd generation Houstonian. My grandfather was a child when he and his family rode out the great storm of 1900 in the Bolivar Light house (still to this day the deadliest natural disaster in the US). When my dad was in high school in the 50's, Houston had only 7 high schools. Now, we are about to surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city in the US.

I love Texas. While the state has seen some growing pains, I still wouldn't live anywhere else. I've traveled a lot and seen lots of other places that are super nice, but for me, Texas is home.

We take pride in being nice and neighborly. We still teach our kids to say 'Yes sir' and 'Yes ma'am' and 'Thank you'. And of course, I believe Texas has the best food anywhere in the world. When I was young, hardly anybody outside Texas knew what a fajita was, or an enchilada. Now, there's a Tex-Mex isle in a grocery store in Paris, France. Texas BBQ - 'nuff said.

While I love Texas, I am getting a bit tired of the 'big city' life here in Houston. The traffic has gotten a lot worse over the years. I work downtown on Mainstreet, and the panhandlers/beggars have gotten pretty bad. I'm not talking homeless people down on their luck - I'm talking the folks who choose to make a living begging on the streets. They get angry sometimes, and if I wasn't carrying I'd be scared to go in some parts of downtown alone. ...and that's why my wife and I purchased some land in the Texas Hill Country. It's hard to beat the charm of Fredericksburg or Johnson City. Just countin' the days 'till we can retire out there.

#99 45 days ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I am calling 'Total BS' on this post. You lived in Manchester, NH for 2 years...barely.. I've been there for over 20. I'm not sure you would even know where the drugs are in the city. Yes, every city has them. I know you didn't see drugs where you lived, as you lived right down the street from me in a quiet, safe area.
    I warned you about making blanket statements like this and how people react to it. Making insulting and derogatory remarks about people and places generally results in those people and places rejecting you. If you start insulting the people and places in Texas like you do in New England, I suspect they will reject you as well.

#100 45 days ago

Because of a prior career, I have been to more metro areas of this country in about a 5 year period than most will in their entire lives.

Call me crazy, but I have never found trouble anywhere, unless:

1: I was foolishly in an area, at a time, I shouldn't have been (draw your own conclusions, but think alley ways late at night in unfamiliar areas, areas where non-locals shouldn't be to begin with, etc.)

or

2: I was looking for it.

I would imagine most folks in general would echo the above sentiments about practically anywhere in the USA.

Maybe Airbnb a place for two weeks and see if you like it before you pack your bindle and move there?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 45.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    LightAndTimeArt
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 40.00
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 9.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 4.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 85.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    TheDudeMods
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 243 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside