(Topic ID: 124439)

Moving to New Jersey

By Ranhorton

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-631.jpg
    image.jpg
    wolfman.gif
    ted.jpg
    download (1).jpg
    IMAG6537.jpg
    IMAG6538 (1).jpg
    th-3.jpeg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    funny-shaped-vegetables-fruits-4.jpg
    90960-i.jpg
    th-2.jpeg
    download (2).jpg
    in-soviet-russia-the-fool-pities-mr-t1-demotivational-poster.jpg
    IMG_00001990.jpg
    IMG_00002028.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 9 years ago

Sorry to hear you are moving here, the State is a mess. wish I could leave. Property taxes, congestion, corruption, it's all very real. I live in the middle of the state near Princeton and commute about 90 mins each way into NYC. It's worth it to be further away from N. Jersey. more land and bigger house for a ton less. You'll be shocked to see what you have to pay to live here, especially in the North. That said, there are a lot of pinheads around, plus the shore is really nice if you know where and when to go, and for me I drive east/west to the shore so never any traffic...silverball is 30 mins away.

Personally, I'd suggest bearing the commute and looking about 40-50 miles south and live near a train line (NE Corridor or Jersey Shore line).

Good luck. PM if you have any questions about the area.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out...

I've lived in NJ my entire life, but I've got another 10 years here and believe me the door can't close fast enough to hit me (no idea how i'll move all my pins.)

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

I don't know how much you are willing to spend on a home, but plan on a 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath, one car garage going for around $400,000 to $500,000 with taxes near $12,000 per year.

I'd imagine that this must be a massive shock to someone living in the mid-west or the south. Out where I live in "central" NJ, you might pay the same property taxes, but get a 4-5 br, 2.5-3 ba house with maybe 1/2-1 acre of land, no traffic and decent schools. still shockingly high, but a bit better than in the North. Only time I really go North is to pick up a pin, or in transit to go skiing.

#185 9 years ago
    Quoted from Boatcat:

Ditto! Couldn't get out fast enough when I retired. Taxes and insurance are wayyy too high! IMO, NJ's biggest problem: Too many public-sector pensions to pay as boomers retire. Good luck with that!

its not just boomers, there are a lot of people collecting multiple pensions because they hold 5 state jobs...incredible. Everything is fixable, there's just no political will, and Christie is a lame duck. .

1 week later
    #202 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

You can find someone who says the same thing about any state they live in but for every one that feels like you do about Jersey, I can probably find ten that feel the opposite.
    To each his own I guess. All I know is of all the states we try to recruit engineers from, New Jersey is one of the most difficult to try and lure them away from. Some you can throw all the money in the world at and they still won't move. Especially guys from South Jersey. It's weird.
    I had no problem moving away but I was single at the time and was made a very attractive offer financially. But I do miss Jersey sometimes, especially in the summer. Some good times were had there.
    But lets get something straight. Each state has it's iconic foods but freakin' White Castle and Krispy Kreme are about as much "Jersey" as escargot and wonton soup. White Castle is a Wichita, Kansas icon and Krispy Kreme is known as "The Doughnut of the South" headquartered in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. They both have restaurants all over the world and saying you miss New Jersey because of either one is almost as bad as saying you miss New Jersey because of McDonalds or Burger King. lol
    New Jersey's iconic foods are the utterly fantastic subs and hoagies as well as their hot dogs and Italian cuisine. Northern Jersey tends to lean towards submarines, grinders and hot dogs (New York City influence) while South Jersey is more hoagies, cosmos, cheese steaks, and other Philly-influenced delicacies.
    It's sort of like when I used to live in Williamsport, PA. There are no shortage of awesome sub shops and pizzerias and my favorite is "Marinos Original Italian Pizza" in Newbury. Everything they make is the bomb from their lasagna and spaghetti to their strombolis and subs. I remember there was an empty building next to the restaurant and someone decided to open a freakin' Subway there. So here you had what was probably one of the finest Italian sub shops in the entire nation and someone decides to open a Subway right next door. I thought the Subway would last maybe a week before it would go bankrupt but you know what? Dumbass college students and other idiots flocked to the Subway.
    I used to walk into Marinos and tell the owners that I couldn't believe any moron would choose a crappy Subway sub over the real thing! Especially when they cost about the same! Unfreakin believable! Of course, a lot of the morons never tried Marinos because if they did it would have been a no-brainer. If you were to place a Subway sub next to a Marinos it would look like placing one of those $1 McDonalds hamburgers next to your all-time favorite bar burger.
    Anyway, Marinos moved to another location and are still the first place I go when in town. But that lousy Subway is still there next to where Marinos used to be, I guess to feed the cretins and mentally deficient.

Actually, more people are emigrating from nj than immigrating and population growth is the slowest in the northeast. Taxes and insurance are very unfavorable on a relative basis, especially for retirees. A lot of people who leave seem to go to the south, NC or Florida. Businesses have left big time, particularly in healthcare, and Mercedes just announce they are moving their HQs out of the state. It's a crappy business environment. There is a lot of talent in the state, but it's wasted because of oppressive regulation and taxes. Outside of Princeton, higher education is pretty weak.

#209 8 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

Rutgers ain't too shabby. Princeton is not an option for most

Rutgers is part of the problem, it's a very expensive state school, why is that? Sorry, but the quality of education doesn't justify the cost.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-to-new-jersey?tu=lermods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.