(Topic ID: 124439)

Moving to New Jersey

By Ranhorton

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-631.jpg
    image.jpg
    wolfman.gif
    ted.jpg
    download (1).jpg
    IMAG6537.jpg
    IMAG6538 (1).jpg
    th-3.jpeg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    funny-shaped-vegetables-fruits-4.jpg
    90960-i.jpg
    th-2.jpeg
    download (2).jpg
    in-soviet-russia-the-fool-pities-mr-t1-demotivational-poster.jpg
    IMG_00001990.jpg
    IMG_00002028.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

New Jersey is the greatest state in the union.
    Close to the shore.
    Close to the mountains.
    Close to New York.
    Lots of Pinball Collectors.
    Cigars.

I love jersey... until I retire someplace warm, I'm not leaving...

#60 9 years ago

the reason that i would tell people not to move to nj is because we have enough people already...

other than that, i've lived in many places... i put down roots in southern jersey a long time ago... and i live right next door to camden...

#63 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Ah, that's why they call it the garden state. They are farming people!

shhh.... don't tell anyone... it'll kill the organ harvesting industry...

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I have a feeling you will eventually be back in madison.

if they moved madison wisconsin to a place with better climate, i would move there for sure... what a great town...

sadly... wisconsin...

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I don't know why they call NJ the garden state. I'll put my garden up against any of theirs. And it goes year round.

because the toxic waste in the soil produces wonderful vegetables...

#82 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Sure does. Makes them fucking HUGE!

damn straight!! how do you think we get 'em to grow so big? fertilizer ain't getting THAT done...

#84 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I used to live in New Jersey and the lower half of the state is really the "Garden State". Best freakin' tomatoes in the world and anyone from Jersey can attest to that. New Jersey is really like two completely different states north and south. The north is a suburb of New York City and the south is more rural with influences from Philly and Atlantic City. In the north they are Giants and Mets fans. In the south they are mostly Eagles and Phillies fans.

oh yea, and i can hardly WAIT for mine to grow... nothing like a fresh jersey tomato!

very good point about the 2 completely different states... south jersey and north jersey have very little in common, other than we ALL don't take no crap offa no one...

#85 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

But are there tomatoes now? I just picked some red ripe ones and they are yummy.

sure.... rub it in....

i will admit that i would pretty gladly tear up my south jersey roots and re-plant them in socal...

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I hear the fishing is great there too.
    th-2.jpeg

fortunately, the water (for the most part) is significantly better than it once was around here... the river by my house, for example, would rot a body part off of you 20 years ago if you happened to touch it... now they have sculling races every weekend...

that being said, there are MANY places in southern nj where i wouldn't even touch the ground, let alone drink the water...

#93 9 years ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Ted...don't miss any of my next pinball gatherings. I could be in Florida sooner then I planned.

i hear that florida has banned em pinball machines from being imported into the state...

since i am such a nice guy, i will volunteer to store them for you....

#94 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And these are my tomatoes.
    90960-i.jpg

mmmm.... avocados.... mmmm....

#99 9 years ago

^^^

damn, you owe me a keyboard....

#101 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinball4ever:

Man, this sucks.
    I look at this thread to see why there's so much interest in someone moving to NJ and see that it's Ran. NJ better be ready for one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. We will hate to see him disappear from the Madison pinball scene, but understand that family comes first. I'm not surprised he's being snatched away.
    Best of luck to you and your family Ran! It was great getting to know you.
    Todd

great... a "nice guy" moving to jersey... dammit, we don't need carriers of the "nice guy" gene here...

seriously though, always good to have another pinguy in the state... we do have a rather large contingent here...

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Give him 1 year and the traffic alone will turn him into a beast.

that was one place where i was ahead of the game when i moved here.... i moved here from lon gisland, so i was already beaten down...

i don't let it bother me... i figure i'll get where i'm going eventually... part of living in civilization means that there are gonna be some unpleasantries to deal with...

it also helps to know the pinelands like the back of my hand... there are many different ways of getting to the shore without having to deal with other people...

#112 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

It is hard to imagine worst traffic than in NJ, but those that travel the Belt and SS Parkway have it worse. I hate those roads more than any in America, have spent more time sitting in dead stopped traffic on those two roads than any others.

true dat... and none of the other parkways are any bargain either, nor is the LIE or the BQE... or just about any major road there...

it's one of the 2 reasons i moved*... i lived in huntington station and worked for chemical bank at the time... i was "split" between jericho and downtown manhattan (alternated weeks)... so i either spent 2 hours on the lirr/subway train/walking to the office, or an hour (at a minimum) driving what, 12 or 13 miles? manhattan was fine, i could sleep for an hour on the lirr, and it did NOT suck to be 21 years old and working in downtown manhattan... but i coulda walked home faster from jericho sometimes faster than driving home...

and forget actually going anywhere that ISN'T on the island or in the city... that's 2 hours to start the trip, just to get off the reservation...

* reason 2 was that the cost of living from a real estate perspective was just stupid...

#155 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

White Castle right on 17 heading south before the meadowlands

i would KILL for a white castle closer than 1 hour away...

and yes, i have made the 2 hour round trip to eat them...

of course, i have also made a 2 hour round trip to eat at awful house as well...

i DO have a krispy kreme within walking distance of my house though...

#161 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Guess whose house I'm coming to this weekend?
    And I'll bring a sack of ratburgers. Those things nearly made me barf last time I had them.

my door is always welcome to you... just give me a few minutes notice so i can go pick 'em up right out of the fryer...

Quoted from spfxted:

Let me know next time and I'll meet you there for lunch! On me!

deal!!

#164 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

The Murder Burgers never affected me at all...and I've been eating them since the 60's....

one of the big things i miss about lon gisland was white castle at 4 am on a weekend... food break in between when the regular bars closed and the after hours places opened...

#166 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

But not the rest of the house?
    Right back at you, brother...

i suppose i'll allow you in the gameroom as well... considering that is what you enter into when coming in the front door of my house...

if you promise not to pee on the seat you can use the bathroom too...

#168 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Lon gisland? You must be typing that on purpose. What is THAT about?

that's how they always say it there... "lon" followed by "gisland"...

#169 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Yup! Used to go to the original WC in North Bergen. I remember when they brought it out to the car on skates!!

now that's old skool right there...

the characters you see in a white castle at 4 am are worth the price of admission...

#171 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

You've built up an immunity. That, or you take antibiotics. There's only so much shit my stomach can take in my advancing years.

rabeprazole works wonders...

#174 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

I've always heard "Lawn Guy Land."

yea, another pronunciation variation...

#177 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

110 by the Walt W. Mall.

that was my "home castle"...

#187 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

According to Harold and Kumar, there is one in Cherry Hill. There is one on 22 on my way home from work every day. Occasionally the evil crave gets me, then gets me again several hours later at home.
    download (1).jpg

there used to be 2 close to me here... one right across the walt whitman bridge in philly, and one up on 73 on this side of the betsy ross bridge...

those were 2 VERY SAD days when they closed...

lol... like ted, i'm immune... of course, when i worked in a city (both manhattan and philly), i ate lunch off the carts every day... so my system has been "well conditioned"...

1 week later
    #192 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Guess whose house I'm coming to this weekend?
    And I'll bring a sack of ratburgers. Those things nearly made me barf last time I had them.

guess what i had for breakfast this morning?

image.jpgimage.jpg

i could only manage 6 this morning, so i saved you some...

image.jpgimage.jpg

2 months later
    #290 8 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Camden is hardly a reflection of NJ. I am sure there is some armpit area of WI that you would hate a tourist to see.Broaden your horizons and take a half hour drive out of Camden on your next trip.

don't even have to go half an hour... 5 minutes is all it takes... just cross the dmz into collingswood, and it's a different world...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-to-new-jersey?tu=ccotenj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.