• Baywatch 3 votes
    2%
  • Monday Night Football 3 votes
    2%
  • Tommy 5 votes
    3%

(181 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2576 (resized).PNG
IMG_2584 (resized).JPG
IMG_2496 (resized).JPG
IMG_5854 (resized).JPG
new-zealand-oil-spill-beach-fuel_41659_600x450 (resized).jpg
Horshack (resized).jpg

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Hey Pinside,

Got my orders and the Army is sending my family and I off to Tokyo-we are stoked!

Unfortunately weight restrictions for shipping household goods and small living conditions will make it impossible for me to ship my whole pinball collection. I really can only ship one and have it for three years while the others are in storage till I get back stateside.

Now my question is, which one?

I'm leaning toward the The Hobbit since the code will hopefully get updated and my daughters really love this game.

Would love to hear some thoughts.

My lineup is:

Hobbit
The Simpsons Pinball Party
Whitewater
Whirlwind
Earthshaker
Monday Night Football
Elvira and the Party Monsters
Baywatch
Tommy

Again, if you could only bring one of these games for a three year tour, which one?

Thanks all!!

#2 2 years ago

The Hobbit all day..not even a question.

#3 2 years ago

The only one of those which MIGHT last 3 years for me is TSPP. I'm not saying it's the best choice but a lot changes in 3 years. Frankly, if I was being forced to move to Japan...I might say "OH THANK GOD" and I'm not even sure that pinball would even be remotely on my mind.

Whirlwind, TSPP, Whitewater, Hobbit is probably the ones I would start with as a short list. Hobbit just takes too bloody long to play. >_<

#5 2 years ago

Thank you for your service.

#6 2 years ago

Dude.....Godzilla......

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

The Hobbit all day..not even a question.

I agree.....the code is so deep....

#8 2 years ago

I would take my least favorite and sell it a week before I leave japan in 3 years. You'd triple your money. Thinking outside the box?

#9 2 years ago

I would look to a game you have always wanted say AC/DC for an example, trade out a few games that don't get played much an put the money towards the new machine to take over to Japan so when u get there you have a new game for the next 3 years.

#10 2 years ago

Take the one you don't mind getting washed away.

#11 2 years ago

Perhaps buy something cool there and bring it back?

#12 2 years ago

BAYWATCH. They love them some hasselhoff down there

#13 2 years ago

Are you living in a Tokyo apartment? I doubt a pin would even fit in any of the apartments I've been in in Tokyo. Even the "big" ones are tiny.

There's so much to do in Tokyo, I wouldn't even take one. There is a private "pinball club" in Tokyo you could go to for the weekly meet ups.

rd

#14 2 years ago

That would be the Tokyo Pinball Organization. Nice bunch of guys, Google the name for their webpage.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Are you living in a Tokyo apartment? I doubt a pin would even fit in any of the apartments I've been in in Tokyo. Even the "big" ones are tiny.
There's so much to do in Tokyo, I wouldn't even take one. There is a private "pinball club" in Tokyo you could go to for the weekly meet ups.
rd

I've heard about this group and will engage them for sure. I won't have an apartment but either a multiroom condo or a very small house. Will find out once we start house hunting.

I have heard they love them some Baywatch over there!

I may need to bring back a Panchinko machine

#17 2 years ago

Find a distro and buy a new game there

#19 2 years ago

Thank you for your service. Looks like you're gonna need a babysitter for 3 years...
Horshack (resized).jpg

#20 2 years ago

I voted Hobbit, but if I were you I'd sell a couple games and get the WOZ on your wish list and bring that with you.

Congrats on getting to head over to Japan. That's awesome.

#21 2 years ago

Hobbit! If your daughters like it most, that would seem like the‚Äč best choice, imo. Gotta keep the next generations interested!

#22 2 years ago

TSPP all day long!

#23 2 years ago

If you take your Hobbit take over there I would check to see if JJP will ship to APO incase you need parts. If not then I wouldn't take a JJP product or any product that won't ship APO for that matter. If you could get support for Hobbit, that would be my pick.

#24 2 years ago

Earthshaker......that way, when playing in your Appartment at 2am, the neighbors will assume it's just one of the frequent earthquakes to hit Japan.

#25 2 years ago

Take Simpson.

#26 2 years ago

I would buy one over there, and leave all mine here!
You deserve it!!

#27 2 years ago

I would take hobbit.. keep the classics in the US and play the heck out of the hobbit and then maybe sell it over there on the return. would hate to have that new of a game sitting and not playing for three years. Just my two cents

#28 2 years ago

And when your tired of your game, head over to Osaka and visit The Silver Ball Planet.
http://thesmartlocal.com/read/silver-ball-osaka
https://m.facebook.com/silverballplanet

#29 2 years ago

I would first confirm that the accommodation you are being supplied has SPACE for a pinball otherwise you might find yourself sleeping on it rather than playing it.

The main reason pinball machines are not so popular in Japan (and other Asian countries) is purely because the average householder lives in a unit that has no room to fit such a large piece of equipment.

#30 2 years ago

I would take The Hobbit.You said your girls love it so it might be a good thing for them if they get home sick.

#32 2 years ago

Appreciate all the feedback everyone-really good feedback! Movers come in a few weeks to take our household goods so needed to figure it out quickly.

As far as space goes, we should be okay. We will be living in a more Westernized home/area with larger accommodations than the traditional Japanese homes.

I'll be sure to post back in a few months with a few pictures of the pin - hopefully we are not using as a dinner table also

Thanks again evernyone

#33 2 years ago

I say sell them all and buy one of the below to bring....

WOZ
ACDC
Tron
LOTR
BSD
The Shadow

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I say sell them all and buy one of the below to bring....
WOZ
ACDC
Tron
LOTR
BSD
The Shadow

I didn't see a sell all poll option did you?

#35 2 years ago

I'd leave them all in storage and have something to look forward to when you get back.
There is great arcades in tokyo.
Granted not much pinball (there is some) but the selection of games there is mind blowing.
when you are returning you should bring 1 or 2 candy cabs back and sell them .

#36 2 years ago

Why not just order a Thunderbirds game while you are there and then bring it back with you They are getting built in China which is next door no? Probably be ready by the time you come back.

#37 2 years ago

I would take The Hobbit, but please make sure to check with local power standards to make sure nothing needs to be adjusted or changed. Let me know and i will get you in touch with my brother (Eric) who is/was the lead engineer for The Hobbit game.

#38 2 years ago

First, that's a great collection and thank you for your service.

My top three choices would be Hobbit, TSSP and Wh20, probably in that order.

#39 2 years ago

I wonder if your post has an MWR (morale, welfare and recreation) center? If so perhaps your commander would allow you to bring a couple of games to place there for other soldiers to play? Two more pins would only be another 600-700 lbs, maybe you could be granted an extra weight allowance. If that works out you can have three there and rotate the one you keep in your house with the MWR center. Thanks for your service and have fun!

#40 2 years ago

Whatever you decide, don't forget to take the batteries out of the games you leave behind.

#41 2 years ago

I voted for TSPP and maybe you should take some pointers from this guy

I remember watching game room walk through videos when I first got into hobby and laughed at how he had pins everywhere in his home in Japan.

#42 2 years ago

I'd go with Hobbit or TSPP.

I'll "store" your WW in Sterling for free while you're away! Ha ha.

Best of luck on the new assignment!

#43 2 years ago

Another vote for The Hobbit!

Just be aware that the games weight may tip the cargo boat, lol.

new-zealand-oil-spill-beach-fuel_41659_600x450 (resized).jpg

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from MAJRob:

and my daughters really love this game.

While I personally do not enjoy playing the Hobbit, I would give your statement above the top priority -- assuming that you think your daughters' preference won't change. 3 years is a pretty long time, and I'm not sure if you JUST got your Hobbit and it's simply the newest cool pin/toy to play with in their eyes.

It's too bad the Neverland arcade closed down outside of Tokyo. But I've made some great pinball friends each time I've visited Japan and had the pleasure of playing pinball with local Japanese players -- incredibly friendly, hospitable, and accommodating.

In addition to the Tokyo pinball club, you should also plan on taking a road (rail) trip to Osaka to visit the Silver Ball Planet arcade. One of THE best public pinball arcades I've been to in the world: huge quantity of games spanning all eras back to early solid state (lacking on EM's) that are very well-maintained, in a family-friendly environment.
Check out their list of pins! http://big-step.co.jp/event/detail/52/
https://www.facebook.com/silverballplanet/
https://en.japantravel.com/osaka/pinball-at-the-silver-ball-planet/28556

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

I would take The Hobbit, but please make sure to check with local power standards to make sure nothing needs to be adjusted or changed. Let me know and i will get you in touch with my brother (Eric) who is/was the lead engineer for The Hobbit game.

Thanks much kingpingames! Yep I checked with JJP and they are configured to work with the 110 by 50MHz versus 110 by 60 MHz here stateside.

Great call sed6 about the MWR-will check with Camp Zama about 90 minutes away

#46 2 years ago

Is the shipping free? If it's not, buy a NIB (or used) game when you get there, and sell it before you leave. That way, you only pay for 0 (if you buy in Japan) or 1 (if you get it shipped in) legs of shipping, instead of two.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Another vote for The Hobbit!
Just be aware that the games weight may tip the cargo boat, lol.

The boats captain decided the best use of the Hobbit was to use it as the boat anchor.

rd

IMG_5854 (resized).JPG

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

In addition to the Tokyo pinball club, you should also plan on taking a road (rail) trip to Osaka to visit the Silver Ball Planet arcade. One of THE best public pinball arcades I've been to in the world: huge quantity of games spanning all eras back to early solid state (lacking on EM's) that are very well-maintained, in a family-friendly environment.
Check out their list of pins! http://big-step.co.jp/event/detail/52/
https://www.facebook.com/silverballplanet/
https://en.japantravel.com/osaka/pinball-at-the-silver-ball-planet/28556

I totally agree with this suggestion. Went there last year and the condition of all the machines (even the older models) are amazing for sited examples with close to 100 to choose from and play.

#49 2 years ago

While you are over there, buy me a classic Sega EM or SS pin. I really want one.

Have fun in Japan. I've always wanted to go.

#50 2 years ago

I would pick Simpsons. Here's why. They all look good. Simpsons will be a big hit with any crowd. And you will get less bored of it. In my opinion.

Let the code for hobbit saturate. Three years np.

Congratulations for serving your country! That's what I saw here. A pinball fan serving his country, makes me proud...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside