Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by SteveO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_nybz02anHW1u3ev8zo1_1280 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider steveo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 7 years ago

Jacksonville is a large area. The southern part is the nicer area in general and so is the beach area near Mayo. If you got to St. John's County, such as St. Augustine, the taxes are lower but the traffic in St. Augustine is terrible. Ponte Vedra is nice, near the beach, but very pricey. Sawgrass is in Ponte Vedra, so if you are a golfer that is a draw. I live in Mandarin, which is about 25 minutes from the ocean and the real estate is not as pricey as the beach area. I don't have kids so I can't tell you about which area has the better school system. Stay away from the north side of town and Arlington.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

A few Good things about Florida.
    1) 2 Beaches from 2 different Oceans!
    Tropical Gulf, with Coral reefs, Turquoise Blue Water, and incredible sealife
    Atantic Ocean from Surfing to Fishing, on into the Keys.
    2) Low taxes....no state Income Tax. My proprty tax on an average 2000 sq ft, is $1200-$2500
    3) Low utilities...from Natural Gas, to fireplace, almost no heating Bill, and if you get an ocean Breeze
    AC is minimal. My daughters/my retirement near the beach, has never seen a utility bill over $75, and averages under $50.
    4) Most important, Clean air...from 2 oceans scrubbed clean, or down from the mountains.
    We are blessed with new fresh air everyday, and we take for granted we breath non stop!
    If one lives in NY or LA, I love both to visit, but long term air....I need this as well, as mountains and desert.
    5) Real Estate. Working on a 2/2 on a lake in Orlando to help my brother moving from NY.
    $68K property taxes $650. Very affordable living.
    Lots of not so good....Tourists, traffic, heat in summer, bugs, but we learn to avoid the tourists and traffic, and address the heat and bugs!
    Floridians vacation to the mountains, often in the Summer! We also rarely go to theme parks in the summer...way to hot in the concrete jungle...we leave that for the tourists.
    Whats also great are the pinheads....yes, we have a few rough around the edges guys, but for the most part,
    like the rest of pinside, a great supportive group, somewhere to play every weekend as a group, and low pin prices to be found as well!
    #1 for me is the clean air, and 2 oceans!

I need to move to Winter Park. Taxes on my 1550 square foot home are about $2200 a year. In the summer, my utility bill is often around $400 with the air on all the time.

As far as the houses being close together that is generally true. My house is a little older, built in 1982. It is on a half acre lot with woods in the backyard so plenty of space between neighbors and lots of privacy. You can also swim most of the year if you have a pool. I don't have a heater and my pool temp was still 88 degrees this past weekend.

Yes, there are a lot of reptiles. I have identified 6 different snake species just in my yard. No poisonous ones yet fortunately. Lots of wild life with tons of lizards, frogs, birds, squirrels, etc. Very few rabbits for some reason as my NY home had lots of rabbits.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

$2200 is Great! If you are Down from NY, those taxes can kill you! $12K to 20K plus a Year!! Plus State
    I do miss the hills and fall, PIZZA!!!

Good point! I have yet to find a good pizza place here. There is a good Italian restaurant in the San Marco area that has great lasagna.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider steveo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-to-jacksonville-fl-any-advice?tu=steveo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.