(Topic ID: 91054)

Moving this weekend - What would you do?

By mcluvin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by PEN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Doing an 80 mile move this weekend. I've hired movers. I know I've bought a bigger truck than I need. Do I let the movers move my pins or do I do it myself? I've got 4 left to move. None of them are mint, but I'd hate for them to get damaged. I've thought about renting a U-Haul trailer to do it all in one shot. I know I'm probably going to be making enough trips back and forth over the next week or 2 to move them one at a time in my CR-V. What would you do?

Chris

#2 9 years ago

Move them yourself!

#3 9 years ago

"Professional movers" don't always know how to move pins. When i moved I gave away my pool table and I had some friends that are professionals at moving & setting up heavy equipment move my pins in the basement for me for payment. After watching a couple minutes of confusion I had to get in there and do it myself!

I would slow roll it with the CRV. Save monies, no rush. Happy moving!

#4 9 years ago

We moved in November and had 20ish pins. I shrink wrapped them...moving blankets (2 per) and moved them our self. At worst I'd bring them out of the basement (if that' s were they are) and load them on the truck if there's any extra room...then unload them yourself

#5 9 years ago

80 miles? Crv? Heck... Move them yourself! Better safe then sorry and in this case your close enough one way to make it work. Safe move!~SpOoKy

#6 9 years ago

My brother-in-law works for a professional moving company, I wouldn't let him move a cement block if it were mine. His favorite saying is "it ain't mine". I'd rent a u-haul do it in one swoop myself. The cost of gas over 4 trips for 80 miles would rent the trailer.

#7 9 years ago

When I moved a few years ago, just 10 or so miles, a friend and I moved the pins. We moved a few of my arcade machines as well, but left a couple. The movers moved the last couple arcade machines fine, I'm glad I moved the pins though.

#8 9 years ago

I used to be a professional mover and I'd say your chances are 50/50, so yeah, probably best to move them yourself.

#9 9 years ago

Absolutely move them yourself.

#10 9 years ago

Thanks for all the input guys! I know there is going to be lots of me driving back and forth over the next couple weeks so I'll just do it one at a time with the CR-V. Just ready to be done. I hate moving and feel like my head is about to spin off worrying about all the details.

Chris

#11 9 years ago

Where are you located? I'd bet a dime to a donut that a couple of local PinSiders would jump in and give you a hand. I know that they are as thick as thieves in St. Louis, truly a great bunch of guys.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

Where are you located? I'd bet a dime to a donut that a couple of local PinSiders would jump in and give you a hand. I know that they are as thick as thieves in St. Louis, truly a great bunch of guys.

Makes me homesick.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pbpins:

Move them yourself!

Totally agree!!!!

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

Call in friends. Pizza, a couple beers and offer gas money (friends will then reject the gas money, but will pig out on the pizza). Then you have help to set them back up and have some fun in your new place.

And after, change something on every game. Half a degree steeper, different settings. It makes all the games feel brand new.

#15 9 years ago

Last pin was moved this afternoon. All made it safe and sound. Movers weren't even an option. The truck was full. Feel like I've been going non-stop the last 4 days. Moving SUCKS!!!!!

#16 9 years ago

I wrap mine myself and told them how they should be transported and that there are 7 pieces of furniture in this house which will send me Postal if they get scratched. I was there when they carried them, loaded and unloaded them. Done this several times. I use 3 moving blankets per pin and told the movers ahead of time to bring them on day one. No issues yet.

#17 9 years ago

Don't move them yourself. I've had good luck with movers (2 Men & a Truck), just be sure they know the machines are your babies. I would also watch them while they move the machines. They or you can wrap them prior to moving them. I've always had movers remove and put legs back on (with some instruction). Why put yourself through the pain if you're hiring movers anyways? If you're worried, just over do it on the wrapping

#18 9 years ago

Move them yourself or supervise the move. Do not give them a chance mess them up.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-this-weekend-what-would-you-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.