(Topic ID: 266006)

Moving these metal parts from original to replacement plastic?

By ChadTower

55 days ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 52 days ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200408_131948 (resized).jpg
fathom_plastic (resized).jpg

#1 55 days ago

How does one go about transferring those metal parts from the original plastic to the new plastic? This is one I've never done before. Looks like heat was used, maybe, when these were inserted into the original? The plastic seems to be molded right around the metal part.

fathom_plastic (resized).jpg
#2 55 days ago
20200408_131948 (resized).jpg
#3 55 days ago

I've had success using a soldering iron to heat the metal, then pull it out.

#4 54 days ago

Search the forum on "bell post removal".

#5 54 days ago

I've done several games with those metal bell standoffs on Stern games. I just pulled them out. The holes in the new plastics I had to enlarge slightly to get the standoffs to fit but never had any issues.

#6 54 days ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Search the forum on "bell post removal".

Thanks, Ken! I didn't know exactly what they were called. I'll do this search now.

These are definitely not coming out without some heat or grinding. The plastic is physically molded around the top of the bell post.

#7 52 days ago

Just to close this off I did manage to get them successfully removed and then embedded in the new plastics. Just took a little care and patience with the soldering iron. Nerve wracking but went reasonably smoothly. I did have to file down the top of the bell to make it match the holes in the new plastic a bit closer.

#8 52 days ago

Yeah I always drill them out, and then grind off the top....but I'm not big on patience

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside