(Topic ID: 274729)

Moving, storing collection in garage temporarily?

By jeffro01

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Lhyrgoif
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 3 years ago

Okay so we're likely moving out of CA and are talking to a real estate agent who wants my collection out of the house before showings start and the only place I have to put it is in the garage which, while dry, is not climate controlled. It gets pretty darn warm in there, should I be concerned? I plan on wrapping them for shipping since that's where they'll be headed anyhow but just wanted to know what kind of risk I'm taking here storing machines in my garage. Heat is really my only enemy here but how serious of an enemy is it?

Thanks,
    Jeff

#2 3 years ago

You said dry, does that mean no humidity? That and theft would be my first two concerns.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Karl_Hungus:

You said dry, does that mean no humidity? That and theft would be my first two concerns.

Correct, this time of year the humidity in the bay area is very low and theft isn't a concern at all due to how our garage is setup, cameras, and the street we live on. I just want to make sure 100'ish heat won't cause me issues...

Thanks,
    Jeff

#4 3 years ago

Good question. Bigger temperature swings in uninsulated garages. Possibly 40-50 degrees in these parts. Are temperature swings a concern with playfields?

Are you sure they need to go in the garage? Realtors' opinions can vary. My pins will stay put in the house come time to sell, but it depends on the house and where they're at. Need anything let me know.

#5 3 years ago

I sold my house with my machines in the “dining room”. If they like the house people look past that.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from GamesbyAPK:

I sold my house with my machines in the “dining room”. If they like the house people look past that.

Exactly!! I wouldn't move them any further then what I thought was necessary, certainly not what the realtor thinks. Maybe it's time for a different realtor?

John

#7 3 years ago

Find another Realtor!

We sold our house a couple of years ago and the Realtor had no problem with my collection in the garage. In fact the person who bought the house wanted to buy a couple!

#8 3 years ago

Any screened backglasses I eould keep inside the house.

#9 3 years ago

So the trick here is my collection dominates two rooms of the house making them small and we need to sell quickly so anything we can do to make the rooms look bigger and all of that is a plus. Also with COVID I don't want to be disinfecting every machine every time we show the house. The realtor has NO problems with them in the garage so wanted to clear that up. I just don't want to harm my collection by doing so.

I totally respect those here who don't see the need to move machines when selling a house but in my situation, they dominate two rooms and I agree that getting them out of there would absolutely allow the house to show better.

Thank you also for some of the other tips as well, very much appreciated. I'm actually leaning towards putting them in a PODS container and having them stored in a climate controlled PODS warehouse in order to keep them out of the temp fluctuating garage so if anyone has any thoughts on that one as well, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
    Jeff

#10 3 years ago

Can you find a temp controlled storage unit nearby and just move them into that ? I personally would be concerned with the movement of the POD and anything falling over / taking a bit of a hard set down. With a local temp controlled storage unit you know you moved them once and they are stable.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from FelixTCat:

Can you find a temp controlled storage unit nearby and just move them into that ? I personally would be concerned with the movement of the POD and anything falling over / taking a bit of a hard set down. With a local temp controlled storage unit you know you moved them once and they are stable.

Not a bad idea actually... Appreciate the suggestion.

Thanks,
    Jeff

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from FelixTCat:

Yeah a lot of the Storage Units built in the last 5 or so years are temp control.

Also a thought....if any other pinball folks are in your area see if they have the space. I once took on 10 machines for another Pinsider while he moved.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Yeah a lot of the Storage Units built in the last 5 or so years are temp control.

Just make sure to ask what their temperature range is. Some places have a 30-50 degree swing range and call that climate controlled.

#14 3 years ago

Looking at your collection, your machines will be fine in the garage. You don’t have fragile BGs or pfs you have modern equipment.

Your forecasted highs are mid 80s for this time of year which is just fine. Does it really get up to 100 in there?

You are more likely to damage one moving them or storing them unattended than having issues in your garage for a few weeks.

GL selling your house!

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Looking at your collection, your machines will be fine in the garage.

+1, excerpt from a recent Stern manual, pretty sure the will all be similar:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #16 3 years ago

In Martinez CA, you are fine for a few weeks in the garage.

#17 3 years ago

I did know someone who left a modern Stern outside for about an hour while moving and had all of the inserts raise up out of the playfield, but that was under the heat of direct sunlight.

#18 3 years ago

In this housing market you just list and 10 people will come buy your house within the hour no matter what you have inside.

#19 3 years ago

If I was you I would list your least favorite game on pinside for $350000 or whatever your house is worth plus pin price. Include photos of your pin and house and say if you buy it then the house is free. You'll get enough visits and comments from pinside that she'll sell in a few days.

#20 3 years ago

Just let the games stay in the house, they look awesome and shouldn't affect any potential buyers. Buyers are there for the house, not your "furniture".

Except if you have a http://www.pinballowners.com/pinball/107969/1/2/BIG-DICK-pinball.html pin in your collection, that one have to be moved out

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-storing-collection-in-garage-temporarily?hl=thomas3184 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.