Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by altan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    quagmire (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I’m going to be moving several pins around the side of a house. About 1/2 the distance has little pea gravel (decorative).

I’m trying to anticipate how well this will work before trying it. My dolly has solid 5 or 6” solid diameter wheels.

You think I’ll just get stuck immediately?

Will I need to put down plywood or similar?

Thoughts / experiences are appreciated.

... Altan

#2 4 years ago

It may take a little extra effort to push the game along, but as long as it's reasonably flat, you should be be able to truck games around without too much trouble.

#3 4 years ago

I would strap something heavy to the dolly and try it before trying it with your pinball machine and risking a roll over.

#4 4 years ago

Buy a dolly with air filled wheels.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Oh, I missed the mention of solid wheels. Yeah, that would make a huge difference.

#6 4 years ago

Osb is cheap. Better safe than sorry

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

I have the blue harbour freight dolly, works great on rocks, but i had to green slime the tires cause they went flat quite frequently.

#8 4 years ago

All it takes is one pebble/ rock. I saw an Asteroids Deluxe take a face plant at load in for a show several years ago. Dolly hit the rock and stopped but game kept going.....it took the fall rather well and still worked.

#9 4 years ago

If in doubt lay plywood out.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

All it takes is one pebble/ rock. I saw an Asteroids Deluxe take a face plant at load in for a show several years ago. Dolly hit the rock and stopped but game kept going.....it took the fall rather well and still worked.

Only with solid wheels. Air filled will go over anything

#11 4 years ago

I offroad pinball machines routinely with a blue harbor freight dolly with inflatable wheels. The trick is to strap the backbox to the pin, and the pin to the dolly with the front legs still on. You can go slow, and set the legs down to rest as necessary.

Just don't try to push a pin up a muddy hill by yourself where you can't get purchase. f desperate, you can push while a friend pulls on a rope attached to the dolly while standing someplace with firm purchase.

Good luck!

quagmire (resized).jpgquagmire (resized).jpg
    #12 4 years ago

Great info, thanks to all.

If a dolly says "10 in. puncture proof tires never go flat" would you assume that means the tires are hard?

Also, could someone tell me the product # (or link) to the "Blue Harbor Freight" dolly? I looked and didn't see it.

#14 4 years ago

I tried using one of the special pinball dollies on a gravel driveway. It was a horrible experience and I listed the dolly for sale immediately.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I tried using one of the special pinball dollies on a gravel driveway. It was a horrible experience and I listed the dolly for sale immediately.

What's a special pinball dolly?

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

What's a special pinball dolly?

One of these below. They are horrific on gravel.

I realize now I misread the title and thought he said 'pinball dolly' not 'dolly' as in hand truck.

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg
    #17 4 years ago
    Quoted from crlush:

I have the blue harbour freight dolly, works great on rocks, but i had to green slime the tires cause they went flat quite frequently.

They work great! Air loss about every couple months.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

One of these below. They are horrific on gravel.
    I realize now I misread the title and thought he said 'pinball dolly' not 'dolly' as in hand truck.[quoted image]

I have one of these but always assumed it was more for working on games and moving them around, etc. Mine's never been outside of my basement...

#19 4 years ago

Put some plywood down over the gravel if you can.

#20 4 years ago

Did it yesterday... 11 pins and 4 vids.

1) Did a carefully controlled test run (with an Asteroids Deluxe game). Got stuck almost immediately
    2) Determined, not scientifically, that a different dolly (bigger software wheels) wouldn't get through (2" deep in some places with soft dirt base)
    3) Purchase 3 4' x 8' sheets of OSB, cut to correct sizes, ended up laying down 9 or so pieces. Total cost about $25

Success!

Thanks again

... Altan

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-pins-with-dolly-on-gravel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.