Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Firebaall
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a766f41a-0ea1-485e-bdf8-77d18432f570_4.jpg
    Lift_Hinge_2.jpg
    Lift_hinge.jpg
    001.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

I'm still organizing my gameroom, and wondering what you guys do to move your pins around by yourself. I think I saw some pics of rollers that people put under the legs. any leads on where to source? Also, what do you guys use when servicing/restoring pins... would an ATV jack work?? Thanks.

Glen

#2 12 years ago

I use the carpet sliders.

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

That there sir is a piece of information needed to give a proper suggestion. Are you moving the Pins around on carpet, cement, tile, etc? I use a modified motorcycle jack and I also have some three wheeled rollers I put under each foot...all or which I bought at Harbor Freight. Good luck.

#4 12 years ago

Sorry for the lack of clarifacation I am moving them around a carpeted gameroom.

#5 12 years ago

Harbor freight, hydraulic table, 500lb.

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Harbor freight, hydraulic table, 500lb.

what I use as well.

#7 12 years ago

For inside the gameroom I use carpet sliders. For concrete surfaces like outside loading/unloading I use a pin dolly. In the shop I use the pin dolly or the little 3 wheel dollies form home depot. Between the gameroom and shop I use the pin dolly.

#8 12 years ago

Magic sliders, I have them on all my machines.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

+1 on carpet. Amazing how you can just glide them around.

#10 12 years ago

+1 on carpet sliders, they work on tile (with the slip on booties) as well.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from PNBLWZD:

For inside the gameroom I use carpet sliders.

I used to have mine on carpet and those did work very well and are cheap.

#12 12 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'm moving them on porcelein tile... so really don't want to scratch the tile with metal rollers (or get caught up on the grout lines).. where do you source the carpet sliders with "slip on booties" or "magic sliders"?

#13 12 years ago

Try amazon, walgreens would probably have something like that.

#14 12 years ago

These are worth every penny and don't take up the space of a dolly:

ebay.com link: PINBALL MACHINE LIFT MOVER DOLLY CASTER SKATE WHEEL SET

#16 12 years ago

I use 5" Carpet Sliders from Home Depot. They're about $8 for a package of 8 sliders. The wider the slider the easy it is to slide the pin. Home Depot also has the same slider with a fuzzy pad on them which I assume works OK on wood or tile floors. I too have the Harbor Freight 500lb. Lift Table for all other moving and lifting. I got it on sale for around $120. If I had it to do over again though I would have bought the 1,000lb. Lift Table as the front handle pivots down out of the way so you can lift the pin from the front. The 500lb. table is only good for lifting from the sides or the back, unless you modify or temporarily remove the handle.

#17 12 years ago

I too thought of buying skates, but the lift table ended up costing less, is way more versatile, and really takes up no space if you store under a pin.

#18 12 years ago

I have hard wood floors, pin skates work well, harbor freight cart is even better, but storing it is an issue. I actually have both.

Quick move I just drop the skates on the rear of the machine, pick up the front and roll it around.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

These are worth every penny and don't take up the space of a dolly:
    ebay.com link: PINBALL MACHINE LIFT MOVER DOLLY CASTER SKATE WHEEL SET

Those are pretty slick!

#20 12 years ago

Good stuff... how about some leads on decent (and reasonably priced) hand trucks? My gameroom is above my workshop/garage... and an elevator isn't in the budget for another decade.

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

harbor freight cart is even better, but storing it is an issue.

Not if you modify it with a hinge on the handle then you can fold it and store under the pin which is what I did.

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Not if you modify it with a hinge on the handle then you can fold it and store under the pin which is what I did.

I was thinking of doing that to my lift table. Could you post a photo? Thanks!

#23 12 years ago

I use these.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_66999-255-4262599NN_0__?productId=3037455&Ntt=dolly&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Ddolly&facetInfo=

They work best if you have rubber feet under the leg levelers and the carpet isn't too thick. But they still work.

#24 12 years ago

just make one. that is half the fun

http://gamearchive.askey.org/Pinball/pindolly.pdf

#25 12 years ago

holy caw jimjam... that is hardcore. If we're going overboard, I guess I could always use this from my workshop.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/members/ninjabones-albums-widebody-picture10050-dsc-1101-small.jpg

#26 12 years ago

For those that use sliders, do you keep them under them all the time, or just when moving them? I would think they would slide when nudging if on all the time.

#27 12 years ago

Pinball skates FTW. They are easy to use, roll on any surface, and storage is not an issue. I've had mine for years, they're worth every penny.

1 week later
    #28 12 years ago

Second use for hydraulic table, training kids to play standing up

001.JPG001.JPG

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

For those that use sliders, do you keep them under them all the time, or just when moving them? I would think they would slide when nudging if on all the time.

I keep my carpet sliders under the pins at all times. A pin is incredibly heavy, so it takes a lot of inertia to really get it moving. That's what's great about the carpet sliders. They make it easy to move the pins when you need to, but they really don't slide around that much while playing.

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from PinAddict-JWC:

I was thinking of doing that to my lift table. Could you post a photo? Thanks!

Sure, remember when/if you do the mod you have to loosen the nut underneath lift to ensure the wire that is connected to the release handle has enough room not to release when down all the way (as in picture #2 on bottom) but tight enough so you can release it when you want to (when you raise the handle and clinch the release trigger) then tighten it back up. Some trial and error may be called for when getting it to the desired tension.

I got the idea from NoVArcade in this thread: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-movers

His pic:

Lift_hinge.jpgLift_hinge.jpg Lift_Hinge_2.jpgLift_Hinge_2.jpg

#31 12 years ago

Now we are modding even the things we use to move the pins! I want LEDs for mine...

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I keep my carpet sliders under the pins at all times. A pin is incredibly heavy, so it takes a lot of inertia to really get it moving. That's what's great about the carpet sliders. They make it easy to move the pins when you need to, but they really don't slide around that much while playing.

Agreed. All my machines indoors are on carpet sliders. In fact I have just had a marathon change round in my games room set up tonight. With TOTAN gone and WOF arrived in it's place I've ended up putting the three Sterns together, which meant sliding five machines around on the living room carpet. I couldn't have done it by myself without the games being on carpet sliders.

#33 12 years ago

I have all mine setup in my garagecade and am able to use the drag and muscle method if needed. Otherwise I use beer to get my buddies to help. Always works.

#34 12 years ago

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a tri dolly!

Godly for the pin shuffle!

a766f41a-0ea1-485e-bdf8-77d18432f570_4.jpga766f41a-0ea1-485e-bdf8-77d18432f570_4.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-pins-around-the-room and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.