Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0473.jpg
Harper_hand_truck.jpg
0ba4373669783018a6c339cfe08c86355d0a96.jpg
Stairs.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Just picked up a CFTBL yesterday!
The problem is that it is still standing in the hallway and my gameroom is upstairs.
Since the staircase is steep and narrow I'm pretty sure we'll damage both the pinball machine and walls if I try to manhandle the machine up with it still assembled.
My other machine got moved with a moving lift through the upstairs window but renting it wasn't cheap.

I heard that some people separate the cabinet, backbox and playfield.
Is that hard to do? I'm actually most worried about putting everything back together.

#2 12 years ago

I can't speak for CFTBL but the machines I've moved up and down haven't been a problem. If you're worried mark the connectors so there can't be any mistakes when you put it back together. It's still a 2 man job. I'm sure others will have more to say.

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

Is that hard to do? I'm actually most worried about putting everything back together.

Taking off the backbox is bad enough, but removing the playfield is even more of a pain in the a**. If you gotta do it, though, you gotta do it. Just make sure to carefully label everything you disconnect.

#4 12 years ago

Congrats on the new game. If you were close, I'd help you get it up and set up. It's a 2 person job

#5 12 years ago

Use the strap method. Bolt one strap into the left front leg holes, another into the right front leg holes. Put a guy on each side. Have another guy on the bottom, just in case something goes awry. Then have the two guys on top slide the machine on its bottom up the stairs. Very easy.

Have done this many times....until I found someone with a stair dolly who was kind enough to help me!

#6 12 years ago

Take legs off transport up with two people on both ends if you need to turn set it down on one side twist into position and then go up two per side rest of the way. That would be the least trouble if possible. Or could try appliance dolly not sure how that works as I have never used one. Either way you do it good luck!

Quoted from RDReynolds:

Use the strap method. Bolt one strap into the left front leg holes, another into the right front leg holes. Put a guy on each side. Have another guy on the bottom, just in case something goes awry. Then have the two guys on top slide the machine on its bottom up the stairs. Very easy.

I've never tried this but thought about doing it the first time I had to take one up stairs. Sounds like it would work well to me.

#7 12 years ago

Eh? Easy stuff. Too guys, one on each end. Throw a blanket over the machine to protect it and your walls. The machine only weighs 250lbs give or take.

Most of mine get beheaded when I move them due to my transportation. In those events pulling the pf is stupdily easy (Heck I do it with the machine hanging out of my hatchback). An empty cab is peanuts, I use my 105lb fiance to pull it up the stairs after I take the pf and head up myself.

#8 12 years ago

I want to see someone try to drag an Operation Thunder up some stairs in this way. I think our stairs would break, not even joking.

#9 12 years ago

I was going to remove my backbox to move my pin up a staircase/doorway/90 degree turn but decided to make a different room my game room instead. It seemed like a lot of work.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

If the backbox is too wide then I suppose that could come off but I don't understand at all why you would take take the playfield out...weight I suppose? Invest in an appliance dolly. They make such a difference you wouldn't believe it until you use one.

Legs off, fold the head down, strap it to an appliance dolly. One guy up top, one guy on the bottom. It's not as hard as it seems like it would be. As long as you have that dolly...

#11 12 years ago

Fold the head, remove the legs, use a fridge cart with strap and a friend.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

My other machine got moved with a moving lift through the upstairs window but renting it wasn't cheap.

Just got to respect this guy. Just the other day someone started a thread something like why own pins, I just drop quarters. I take my hat off to you my friend.

#13 12 years ago

Pull the PF and take it up stairs ! It is a 15 minute job to put back in and that is taking your time !

You only have about 13 connectors to unplug .

If you have two people get on the side and prop the PF almost straight up and lift out .

To put it back in just stand up the pf and drop right back in, it lines up it self ,no worries .

I leave off the glass and lock down . Cabinet is so much lighter .

Good luck

Jim

#14 12 years ago

Hey,

I bought a dolly that has something like 13 inch wheels on it. Still a two person job, but I was able to get a Shadow out of a fellow's basement relatively easily. Had there not been a landing halfway up, I could have done it in one piece; as it was, I couldn't make the corner with the backbox on. In the future, I'll probably wrap them in a moving blanket.

Luke

#15 12 years ago

I leave the front legs on, but have the back sitting on a horse (and another one waiting where I'm transporting it to so I can set it down). Then I can put the back legs back on with ease, lift it up, kick the horse out of the way, set it back down.

#16 12 years ago

If I move it up the stairs it would need to be as light as possible. I've only got a few inches clearance
on each side and there's a 90deg turn 3/4 up. The previous owner and I moved it out of his apartment on the 2nd floor. The stairs over there were pretty wide but it still wasn't easy to handle.
The dolly I brought didn't have enough air in the tires and wasn't much help. I also failed to take
one of the balls out which came crashing down making an awful noise. I hope nothing broke.

#17 12 years ago

The stairs are pretty difficult here. My house is 110 years old and the stairs are REALLY steep and narrow. I've had window washers refuse to climb them

Stairs.jpgStairs.jpg

#18 12 years ago

I can see why you went through the upstairs window with your other pin.

#19 12 years ago

Well now that's a staircase! If I were you I'd remove the head and the pf, and like someone suggested the playfield glass too. An empty cabinet is quite light and manageable. It's only connectors and if you lable them it's easy to re-connect. Think of it as a way to get better acquainted with your game

Good Luck!

#20 12 years ago

The picture of the stairs really says it all. I wouldn't attempt that by yourself. How are you going to get the beer fridge up there? If you are going to use a cheap dolly make sure you inflate the tires to 50 psi.

#21 12 years ago

"knock down this fargin wall, knock down this fargin wall"

0ba4373669783018a6c339cfe08c86355d0a96.jpg0ba4373669783018a6c339cfe08c86355d0a96.jpg

#22 12 years ago

That house and this hobby will not get along.

#23 12 years ago

Now that I have seen the stairs I change my advice to - move the game room to the main level

#24 12 years ago

Wowzers! Yeah, my method wouldn't work for those stairs. Mine are a straight shot.

#25 12 years ago

You can rent a stair climbing dolly at many rental places. If you got more pins up there you may want to buy one but they are expensive. It's just a two wheel cart that climbs stairs with the help of an electric motor. They work great but I would have two people for safety on those stairs.

#26 12 years ago

Dutch people should not own pins! You hear me, Robin?!?

#27 12 years ago

Those are not stairs ! That is a ladder ! Wow , take the machine apart and save you and a friends life ! Seriously .

Jim

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

Now that I have seen the stairs I change my advice to - move the game room to the main level

Swap rooms, those are steep. I was going to suggest a dolly as well that is what I use. Then i got to your photo. I am not sure you have enough step for the climbing dollys to work on the bend.

I did buy a poly strapping kit the other day. Great buy. It was $58 for 3,000' of strap and like 500 clips with a manual tightening handle/cutter. Works great, no parts sticking out like with a cargo strap. The other thing people that move pins should get is a roll of that plastic wrap. It will save a lot of scratchs and I like it better than a blanket because it has more grip on the pin.

#29 12 years ago

What about using something like this, I have been thinking of getting one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381541_200381541

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

Quoted from McCune:

Those are not stairs ! That is a ladder ! Wow , take the machine apart and save you and a friends life ! Seriously .

Yea, I would do one of these two things. Pretty crazy stair case indeed!

#31 12 years ago

What about using something like this, I have been thinking of getting one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381541_200381541

Because of how heavy a pin is, I think you would be better off with something that has a strap. I use one very similar to this, and it works great ...

Harper_hand_truck.jpgHarper_hand_truck.jpg

#32 12 years ago

Thanks guys. I guess a picture can say more than a thousand words.
It's just that there is nowhere to put games downstairs and since I live in the
city I don't have a garage. I am in walking distance of a lot of bars though.
I might just take a whole day this weekend to split the machine up in a few pieces and
try to save some money. It's a bit of a leap of faith. I'll make lots of notes and pictures first.
Or I might just chicken out and call the movers again.

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

Or I might just chicken out and call the movers again.

Make sure they are fully insured before having them attempt it!

#34 12 years ago

Oh, they wouldn't be using the stairs. Don't trust them either.
The first machine came up like this.
But I want them to use a proper lift the next time.

IMG_0473.jpgIMG_0473.jpg

#35 12 years ago

Yowzer! that is one sharp turn on that staircase.

That pulley system is sweet!

Have you thought about leaving the pins on the main level?

Congrats of the CFTBL. I love that machine.

#36 12 years ago

To be completely honest with you, call a Piano Mover and have it moved professionally. They have the equipment, the strong guys and the insurance.

Here in the States, we have Amusement companies who will carry a game up/down stairs too, but I used Piano Movers several times. They charged me $120 USD for transport and stairs.

#37 12 years ago

If I don't take the machine apart I will call around to find someone cheaper. I paid E180,- last time
to move an arcade machine down and the pinball up. E180,- is enough money for me to use some time taking the pinball apart. And as Shock_Me said, it will be a way to get better acquainted with the game.

#38 12 years ago

Success! It's upstairs! It took me almost all day to remove all the connectors and label them.
We moved the pin up the stairs in three parts.
It saved me quite a bit of money but it was a lot of work.
Next time I should be able to do it a lot quicker though.

The previous owner used the pin as a storage cabinet. Amongst other things I found a bunch of nails floating around the bottom of the cabinet. I did an extra careful inspection before turning the game on because I was afraid of a short circuit.

Thanks for the help guys!

#39 12 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

Success! It's upstairs! It took me almost all day to remove all the connectors and label them.
We moved the pin up the stairs in three parts.

Glad it all worked out in the end and nobody got injured in the process Apekop!!!!

#40 12 years ago

Good job a lot of people would have said no room for pins could not possibly get one upstairs.....great determination!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
€ 24.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-pinball-upstairs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.