Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pinmister
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I have a NIB TNA coming. Haven't had a pinball machine before. I'm wondering how it's recommended to move once received. I will be bringing it into my garage initially, on delivery. I do have an appliance cart with track rollers. I need to get it down some carpeted stairs once in my house, to my basement rec room.

Do people ever leave them in the shipping box, and transport that way? Or, is it recommended I unbox the pin, remove items, then wrap it and load it on dolly for transport? Or, perhaps other better suggestions?

Thanks for anyone's thoughts....

#2 5 years ago

Have help. Leave in box. Truck the side that says truck this side only. Put help you don't care that much about on the heavy end going down. Just in case.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Have help. Leave in box. Truck the side that says truck this side only. Put help you don't care that much about on the heavy end going down. Just in case.
    LTG : )

Agree with LTG, if you can leave it in the box, do so.

Be patient, and take it one step at a time.

#4 5 years ago

Have some helpers and take your time. Good luck with TNA!!

#5 5 years ago

I've wondered how feasible it would be to leave a pin in the box and then slide it down the stairs while you walk in front of it backwards, holding onto it to control its speed. Or will that end up with a giant box crashing to the bottom of the stairs and you looking like a flattened Wile E. Coyote with a box imprint on your face?

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from rennervision:

I've wondered how feasible it would be to leave a pin in the box and then slide it down the stairs while you walk in front of it backwards, holding onto it to control its speed. Or will that end up with a giant box crashing to the bottom of the stairs and you looking like a flattened Wile E. Coyote with a box imprint on your face?

Control slide in box with this end up should work. Biggest helper work the bottom. Enjoy

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Control slide in box with this end up should work. Biggest helper work the bottom. Just lay it down on the correct side. Enjoy

#8 5 years ago

Thanks for everyone's posts and advice!

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from rennervision:

I've wondered how feasible it would be to leave a pin in the box and then slide it down the stairs while you walk in front of it backwards, holding onto it to control its speed.

I have done this several times, and it works just fine...especially with stairs that have a tight 90 degree turn at the bottom.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from callaway15:

Do people ever leave them in the shipping box, and transport that way?

Do this, but beforehand definitely make sure the width of the box will FIT through a doorway if there's a door near the stairs. Measure with tape measure, and check the top and bottom of door frame to ensure. If the door can't open completely to get out of the way, you need to account for it (or hinges) that also obstruct.

You don't want to get 3/4 down the stairs and realize you have to bring it back up. I even know someone that has to remove his door frame each time a certain backbox width has to be moved. Always measure out the entire path before you're putting 250lbs on stairs.

#11 5 years ago

It depends on size of your basement staircase, if it is an average size staircase and has any turns-it will be difficult to get downstairs in the box. I once got a machine stuck halfway down the stairs while in the box. The way I move my machines into basement: I open in garage and have a friend help me lift onto pinball cart and remove packaging, strapping, and leg bolts. I then have another cart placed in basement to put machine on when we get to basement. We then put on some good grip gloves and essentially just lift and carry the machine down the stairs going very slow through doorways to make sure not to scratch backbox. I have tried dolly's, etc. and find they are not as easy as just carrying the pin down the stairs. I am a bigger guy and have some strong friends-so I guess that helps.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-nib-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.