(Topic ID: 84359)

Moving first pin, should I use a pickup truck or a Uhaul/Enterprise moving truck

By m00dawg

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by m00dawg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20130709_202036.jpg
icon_smile-1.gif

#1 5 years ago

I'm going to pick up my first pin Saturday (whee!) and am trying to work out the logistics. The dude I'm buying it from said it's pretty easy to move in a pickup truck since you can take a leg off, prop it up on the tailgate, take the other leg off, slide it in (I'm thinking on cardboard and/or a blanket), take the remaining legs off, slide it in, pad it up, tie it down. Seems simple enough.

But I was looking at a small UHaul truck. Were I to ship it legs on, it would be way simpler to just use one of those, but I don't think I could secure in a way that I'd be happy with the legs on anyway. Thus, if I took the legs off, now it seems like it's way more hassle than a pickup.

Any suggestions? Tried to figure this out by browsing and searching the forum but most conversations seems to center around shipping it cross country with NAVL. I'm lucky that the pin is only about an hour and a half away

EDIT: Oh, actually Enterprise offers small vans, like one of these:

http://www.enterprisetrucks.com/truckrental/en_US/vehicles/cargo-vans/cargo-van-personal.html

Can't find dimensions so that's sort of important. Anyone use those with success?

This is for an STTNG so it's a widebody.

#2 5 years ago

Taking the legs off is simple and less chance the machine will tip over. I haul them in cars all the time. If game is in nice shape wrap it with stretch wrap to secure the head and give cabinet protection from minor bumps. Don't waste your money on a rental. If your truck doesn't have a topper watch for any possibility of rain.

#3 5 years ago

Go to enterprise and rent a town and country style van. around here I can get one for $50 a day and unlimited miles. I move games in my Honda Fit. It is a sub compact. I dont think it would fit a wide body though.

#4 5 years ago

What kind of car do you have?

Pickup Truck is fine. Get some cardboard from a Best Buy dumpster and some moving blankets from Home Depot/Harbor Freight.

You need a good dolly. You can rent a furnitue dolly for about 5 bucks at uhaul if you dont have one.

Back on a stool
Back legs off
Set back down onto cardboard
Wrap in a blanket
Front legs off
Dolly to the truck
BAM!

#5 5 years ago

That cargo van will work fine but is over kill. Just get a regular mini van. As long as the seats fold into the floor you are set. Actually I have not seen a place rent vans in the last 5 years that don't fold into the floor.

#6 5 years ago

I would be scared to have the pin on its legs. 10 minute procedure to take legs off and put back on. Cheap stretch wrap and blankets from Harbor Freight will do the trick. Have fun! Only get your first pin once.

#7 5 years ago

Depending on your location, the cargo van could be cheaper. Back when I had to rent the cargo van went for about $40/day while the mini van went for about $65/day.

Quoted from Syco54645:

hat cargo van will work fine but is over kill. Just get a regular mini van.

#8 5 years ago

I have a pick up truck but borrowed my parents mini-van. Didn't want to risk rain or debris damaging my pin. Like the others say, take the legs off and secure the head to body with shrink wrap or straps. Save your money borrow a friend or family members van

#9 5 years ago

I used to cram the machines in back of my SUV, but the last pin run I rented a small enclosed trailer from Uhaul for $30. Def worth it as there is no concern whether it will fit or not (will I have to take the head off or will it fit folded down), plus it leaves the inside of your truck nice and clean, and you don't have to worry about weather (if your dealing with a pickup). Considering some pinheads have multiple machines...it also provides a little extra space in case you strike a deal or two in addition to your original game. I will go this route from now on. Def take off the legs though...I think there was a pinsider who lost a game that tipped out of the truck or trailer...totally destroyed.

#10 5 years ago

most mid size suv's are fine the legs on is not

#11 5 years ago

Shouldn't be a problem if you have a truck. Bring the materials these guys mentioned. No dolly required if the guy will help you load. I fit three in my short box f150 sitting on the bottoms. If rain is imminent bring some boards to set it up on and tarp/plastic it. I usually use the kiss method, keep it simple stupid.

#12 5 years ago

If you already have a pickup you are good unless it rains. Takes 5 minutes to remove legs and no worries about it tipping.

#13 5 years ago

What do you drive daily? I move 2EM's or 1SS in a PT Cruiser with legs off. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to fit a pin in a car.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from m00dawg:

it's pretty easy to move in a pickup truck since you can take a leg off, prop it up on the tailgate, take the other leg off, slide it in (I'm thinking on cardboard and/or a blanket), take the remaining legs off, slide it in, pad it up, tie it down. Seems simple enough

And simple it is. No use making it any harder.

#15 5 years ago

Pick up with cap is probably the best.

You can move it all by yourself if you take the legs off/on from the back of the tailgate.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Pick up with cap is probably the best.

That's how I roll, vid.

#17 5 years ago

I have used the enterprise cargo van. picked up my NGG and WCS94 in the same day. couldnt have been better. picked up another on its own As well. seems like a pick up with a cab is just as easy.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

What do you drive daily? I move 2EM's or 1SS in a PT Cruiser with legs off. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to fit a pin in a car.

A 2008 Jetta. I can't imagine how you cram a a pinball machine in a PT Cruiser. That is black magic voodoo! =)

Thanks for all the updates folks! Reaffirms my thoughts. I think if rain is a concern, we'll likely rent something. If not, I have access to a pickup (though no top). The benefit of that we (namely friends somehow nice enough to help me move this thing) can all go in one car since it's an extended cab. Plus zero rental fee =)

I wasn't worried too much about flying rocks since it will sit behind the bed. I was going to cover it though. What exactly is this stretch wrap? I assume folks mean this?

http://www.uline.com/BL_2966/Uline-Cast-Stretch-Wrap

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from m00dawg:

A 2008 Jetta. I can't imagine how you cram a a pinball machine in a PT Cruiser. That is black magic voodoo! =)
Thanks for all the updates folks! Reaffirms my thoughts. I think if rain is a concern, we'll likely rent something. If not, I have access to a pickup (though no top). The benefit of that we (namely friends somehow nice enough to help me move this thing) can all go in one car since it's an extended cab. Plus zero rental fee =)
I wasn't worried too much about flying rocks since it will sit behind the bed. I was going to cover it though. What exactly is this stretch wrap? I assume folks mean this?
http://www.uline.com/BL_2966/Uline-Cast-Stretch-Wrap

Yes, it's a large roll of Saran wrap. I buy it at Fleet Farm. I would assume many larger places like Home Depot or Lowe's might carry it. It's cheap and it works well.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Taking the legs off is simple and less chance the machine will tip over. I haul them in cars all the time. If game is in nice shape wrap it with stretch wrap to secure the head and give cabinet protection from minor bumps. Don't waste your money on a rental. If your truck doesn't have a topper watch for any possibility of rain.

and put a layer of cardboard over the side rails and pf glass so you don't damage the rails or backbox edges BEFORE you stretch wrap it. Congrats on the first pin and welcome to the madness...even though you have been a PS member for a while, now it's official.

#21 5 years ago

I took my family to pick up our pin and rented one of their 3' x 5' trailers. Took the legs off, slid it right in, and strapped it down. Kept it (relatively) warm and very dry for the 4 hour drive home through the pouring rain. I would recommend it to anyone... like $15 + tax.

If I had to actually drive something, I would get the bare bones cheapest option both from an up-front fee and a gas mileage standpoint.

#22 5 years ago

So the new plan is to borrow an SUV instead of a truck and either put the pin in the back or get the small U-Haul trailers (or similar). For the trailers, though, it seems like it would be a pain to get the pin in and out of one of those? They aren't very high and the floor is also low. Any suggestions on loading it were we to use one?

Only reason we would get a trailer at this point is so we can carpool. Seems like putting it in the back of the SUV would be the easiest way to load and unload it. The height is almost perfect.

#23 5 years ago

This is not rocket science. Get some strong friends, take the legs off and load it in anything it will fit in and away you go. Don't make a big project out of this and you will be on your way.icon_smile-1.gif

#24 5 years ago

home depot and menards carry stretch wrap. they usually move it around so ask someone.

mini-van will have a lower load in for the back so i would go that route over an SUV (which will probably cost more).

in a town and country you can fit 4 people and a game.

bring extra cardboard too.

throw a sheet under the game if you are loading on an uneven or gravel surface. it makes it easier to turn the game around and adjust it for easier loading.

i lay a moving blanket in the van with cardboard between the game and the back bumper. then lean the game against the bumper and tilt it into the back. the cardboard should slide on the moving blanket.

good luck.

#25 5 years ago

oh and fridge dollies (with the rollers to go up stairs) are just under 100 bucks at menards (or they were when i bought mine). you can pull a game up the stairs with one person (if you are a gorilla) but i reccomend one pushing and guiding and one pulling.

wrap the game in a moving blanket if you are worried about doorways/doorknobs etc.

-c

#26 5 years ago

I should have clarified that I'd be borrowing an SUV over renting so it'd be free The trailer was really just to avoid having to take 2 vehicles. I just worry it would be easy to throw one's back out with something that low.

As far as a dolly with wheels, you mean something like this?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_498412-929-79480_0__?productId=4765249&Ntt=dolly&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Ddolly&facetInfo=

There's a few small stairs up to our front door but nothing big. I actually eventually want the game to live on our 2nd floor, but was really wary of taking it all the way up a flight of stairs. I was planning on just leaving it in the living room until the wifey can't stand me playing pinball while she is trying to watch her TV shows

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from m00dawg:

Rear seats come out. I have the machine shrink wrapped or strapped, standing on end. I slide the machine in plunger side first (for easier removal when home). Legs, hardware, and 2-wheeler sit on the side. Close the rear door. Easy.

I sold my truck and bought this when gas hit $4 a gallon the first time. It may be an ugly old man's car, or lady's car - call it what you want - I don't care. To me, it's an inexpensive, cheap to drive, pin hauler.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

home depot and menards carry stretch wrap. they usually move it around so ask someone.

Yeah. This stuff comes with a roller too, makes it really easy to wrap a game. And one roll should last you through a few games no problem.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pratt-Retail-Specialties-20-in-x-1000-ft-Stretch-Film-5005002/202029370?N=5yc1vZc89r

#30 5 years ago

That stuff is thinner than the clear industrial wrap.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

That stuff is thinner than the clear industrial wrap.

It is. I'm not using it necessarily to protect the game. I use it to hold the blankets, edge and corner protectors, and keep the head of the game in place when I move it. If all you use when moving a game is any type of plastic wrap, IMO you are risking some damage.

#32 5 years ago

Thanks for all the wonderfully helpful comments everyone! I greatly appreciate it! Picking it up in 3 days, whee!!!!

The plan is still to try for the SUV. I'm worried a bit about clearance - I'll have to measure again but I think it was 34" in height so was a bit worried about the clearance with the head folded down. I looked at the STTNG manual and can't find measurements. I Googled for widebody pin dimensions but couldn't find measurements with the head folded down. I estimated 25" with the head folded down?

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from m00dawg:

Thanks for all the wonderfully helpful comments everyone! I greatly appreciate it! Picking it up in 3 days, whee!!!!
The plan is still to try for the SUV. I'm worried a bit about clearance - I'll have to measure again but I think it was 34" in height so was a bit worried about the clearance with the head folded down. I looked at the STTNG manual and can't find measurements. I Googled for widebody pin dimensions but couldn't find measurements with the head folded down. I estimated 25" with the head folded down?

A wide body pin with the head down will have roughly the same height as a standard game. You should have plenty of clearance room. Also, the head dimensions on a wide body are essentially the same as a standard. It's only the body that is wider. Hence, widebody.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I'm tired.

#34 5 years ago

Interesting how most of use would not dream of moving a pin with the legs on but when NAVL shows up at my place they don't want me to remove the legs for shipping, they want them left on.

I guess they get away with it since they tie the game to the wall of the truck to keep it from moving around.

#35 5 years ago

For what it's worth, I was able to get a NIB in the back of my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe.20130709_202036.jpg

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from mg81:

Interesting how most of use would not dream of moving a pin with the legs on but when NAVL shows up at my place they don't want me to remove the legs for shipping, they want them left on.

I move pins with the legs on all the time, nothing happens to them.

Just make sure you drop the head.

#37 5 years ago

Vid,

What do you do with the earlier pins that don't have a hinged head?

I am being a bit dramatic with saying we would not dream of moving one with legs on. I just know anyone who mentions doing it will normally be swamped with replies of "remove the legs for transport".

#38 5 years ago

There are a couple of 3/8-16 bolts that hold the non hinged head in place.

Remove them, don't let the head drop.

Pull up a little slack in the wiring and lay the head down on a piece of cardboard over the playfield.

Stretch wrap it in place and go.

#39 5 years ago

I thought I would share what we ended up doing just for documentation-sake. We ended up moving it in an SUV (Ford Exploder) and it worked quite well! The steps were basically as described above. We removed the balls, folded and shrinkwrapped the head down (with cardboard and a towel on the flyfield to protect the head and body. We then parked the SUV so the loading lip was as low as we could make it (given the driveway slope) and carried the pin on out. We took the front legs off, slid it up into the SUV, took the back legs off, slid the rest in. I had put down cardboard on the floor of the SUV before loading it in so it would slide a bit easier. I put also some extra towels and padding on the sides and front and back after the pin was loaded, just in case. Set the legs to the side, and did it all in reverse when we got home. Hell, we even got the thing up a flight of stairs (somehow - NOT my idea).

Turned out pretty easy. I'd say it is doable with 2 people, though better with 3. We actually had 6 of us loading it and 7 to unload. That's one reason we were able to get it up a flight of stairs, although don't do that Hire someone with a stairlift dolly and insurance Not that we damaged it - the game never even kissed the railing or walls, but it's heavier going up a flight of stairs than your hubris thinks it is.

At any rate, it's setup and barring a few bulbs I need to replace and some adjustments to the habitrails, it's playing like a champ!

Thanks everyone for the extremely helpful advice!

#40 5 years ago

Ford Exploder...is that a pinto?

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Ford Exploder...is that a pinto?

Haha it's just what my step-dad calls my mom's Explorer which we used to move the pin. They're huge Ford fans though he's always called it the Exploder We're foreign car people, but I will say my friends Tahoe that has older and had way more miles on it did ride a lot better. Of course his, when new, was the top of the line model so...

#42 5 years ago

I think you're fine with a small SUV and the back seats folded. I put a pin easily into my RAV4 with the back seats removed a couple weekends ago. Pins are about 53-55" long. Remove the legs and fold down the head.

If you end up moving it in a flatbed truck, I would still fold down the head & strap it with cardboard in between. Make sure to remove the balls

Edit: looks like it worked out. Congrats on the purchase! Post some pics!

#43 5 years ago

Yep! It all worked out and it's even upstairs! I have some very good friends, suffice to say. I wanted it downstairs until I paid for someone with a stairlift (and insurance) but my friends felt good about it and my wifey made the call.

I've been meaning to post pics. I should have done a before as I'm already working on putting in LEDs, finished up where the previous owner left off on the Borg Mod, dropped in an AnyPin NVRAM, new coat of wax. Putting work into is has been just about as much fun as playing it (read: both have been incredibly fun).

I love it!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Orlando, FL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
4,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Traverse City, MI
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carolina Forest, SC
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside