Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 208 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by zh2oson
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djb_rh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I've been on pinside too long. I remember the last time you moved

Bah. I remember when Chris did this on the side out of his garage.

Hey, I see Whirlwinds in there! Hope mine is soon.

--Donnie

#117 7 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

These are Pat's posts from that thread. I'm not really seeing "a heart attack" - just a bit of disappointment that the 'history' of the hand lettered inserts was removed.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-featured-hep-restore-is-taf-prototype?tu=patl

Just dug back and saw this. Interesting.

A few years before that game, there was another...

Well, almost. I bought a mostly-complete wired prototype TAF playfield from Kerry Stair. Also has mylar'ed inserts. All the weldments were hand made, red lamp boards, etc. But it had been on location and the playfield was pretty well blown out. To me there simply was no way to "save" it *and* have a nice playing example.

So I bought a complete blown out donor TAF. Took it and the proto playfield to Chris. Chris got a new cabinet, all new art, and I provided a bunch of NOS top side parts. Then he painstakingly rebuilt it using all the prototype parts and an NOS playfield.

So much of the game is new. Much of the game was hand-made by Pat and his coworkers. It plays like a brand new example and looks better than they did new. And I kept the original playfield. It's bare now, but I kept all the parts from the donor and have many more NOS parts. Enough to put it back together as a complete working playfield, honestly. My original plan was to do that at least with top-side parts and then maybe just wire it up as wall art of some kind, but that's a project I'll probably never get to, so who knows. For now it's all in climate controlled storage.

I've never run across a complete prototype TAF machine for sale. But I've always had a thing for protos, particularly of Lawlor games. I have a Banzai Run built with a complete-but-barely-used proto wired playfield that John Wart Jr. found and sold me. I have a true proto complete Safe Cracker. True proto Road Show. Sample Earthshaker. The true proto Whirlwind that Chris is working on. Sample (#1 on the run!) TZ. True proto Funhouse.

Anyway, we do the best we can in these situations to create awesome games with the parts on hand. Sometimes history is saved, but sometimes it just doesn't make good sense to. And sometimes we're just going to disagree on that last part.

--Donnie

#118 7 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Post #71 my friend. Your going to christen this place.

Baller. I sort of read the thread out of order like a dumbass.

--Donnie

1 month later
    #188 7 years ago
    Quoted from Apollon:

I can say for 100% certainty that Chris is the reason my family still plays pinball regularly to this day. We are fortunate to have had Chris work his magic on 14 of our pins. Playing a stunning, fully functional, work of art is one of life's little pleasures. My kids have begun to realize it. We always seek out and play pins out on location whenever we can. They appreciate the way the pins in our basement play vs what is out there on route. Glad the move is good for you, Chris. We will have to come grab lunch and see the new digs. Congrats !

14?!?! I've lost count of how many Chris has done for me, but I don't think I've made it to 14. Should be approaching double digits if not just there, but not quite 14. Wow.

Agreed on your sentiment, though. I can *feel* the difference between my HEP pins and the others. I shopped my sample TZ myself and do kind of constantly fiddle to keep it right (and I know a thing or two about pins myself). My HEP pins just so much more rarely need love than even my new Sterns.

--Donnie

#194 7 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Great! I hope they asked you to document it on pinside. Always love seeing prototype machines.... Its like seeing the road that lead to a final game.

It's fun to see how much some games are hand made and how much others are more production-like. My true-proto list: Funhouse, SS, CFTBL, SC, RS, WCS94, Slugfest. Samples: ES, TZ. Games with complete proto playfields: TAF, Banzai Run. I also own a mostly-complete whitewood NBAFB playfield (would love to sell it to someone who had a use for it).

But no, I'm not asking Chris to document the Whirlwind above for Pinside. I don't mind if he does that on his time, but I don't feel compelled to pay him to do it.

--Donnie

#196 7 years ago

Cool, I'm a big fan of that kind of thing, too.

--Donnie

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djb_rh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-day-at-hep?tu=djb_rh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.