(Topic ID: 70302)

Moving a Williams System 3 Saturday. Any tips?

By Arcade

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I am picking up a Williams System 3 game called Hot Tip this Saturday.
The guy has keys to the door and back box and they both work fine.
I will need to remove the head as it will be moved in a Ford Escape. I have moved tons of pinballs in this, but most were modern where the head just folded down.
I am assuming I will need to take photos of the wiring in the backbox the unplug them from the boards and drop them down the cabinet hole. Then just remove the headbolts and lift off.
Am I missing anything here that could help or prevent any problems?

#2 10 years ago

There are disconnect plugs in the wire harness so you don't have to unplug anything from the boards. Just pull up a little on the bundles going down through the backbox hole and you will see them.

The head and cabinet have interlocking U-shaped metal pieces that fit together, when you unbolt the head it will need to slide forward a little to clear the metal piece before you can lift up, and vice versa when putting the head back on.

#3 10 years ago

Awesome.
Thanks for the great information.

#4 10 years ago

I don't disconnect anything. I take out the head bolts, and then put the back glass back in. You can lay the head down as if it had hinges. Shrink wrap or cargo strap around the head and body and you are good to go.

I've done this many, many times.

Jason

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from SchertzPinball:

I don't disconnect anything. I take out the head bolts, and then put the back glass back in. You can lay the head down as if it had hinges. Shrink wrap or cargo strap around the head and body and you are good to go.
Jason

Another great tip.
Appreciated.

#6 10 years ago

Honestly, I go with a completely different approach.

I pull the head off, then it's only about another two minutes to get the playfield out of the lower cabinet too at that point. This makes for three very easy to manage components, which is a particularly important thing to consider if you've got stairs or narrow turns to negotiate.

-Hans

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from SchertzPinball:

Jason

+1 to this. Especially if you have help or have a hand truck and are strong enough to handle a 250lb machine on your own.

And don't forget to lock the head again before laying it down on the cab. It's the safest place for the backglass during transport.

viperrwk

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Honestly, I go with a completely different approach.
I pull the head off, then it's only about another two minutes to get the playfield out of the lower cabinet too at that point. This makes for three very easy to manage components, which is a particularly important thing to consider if you've got stairs or narrow turns to negotiate.
-Hans

+1 on this, pulling the playfield definitely makes the lower cabinet much easier to navigate.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Washington, KY
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-a-williams-system-3-saturday-any-tips and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.