New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 144130)

Moving a Pinball - Solo?

By markp99

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by koen12344
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

12359834_539206209565930_7795039973486651147_n.jpg
    12313769_539206446232573_620889888134924304_n.jpg

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago

As far as getting it into your jeep (which I also move pins around in) go to your hardware store and buy a piece of 2" PVC pipe and cut it to 25" wide. Place it at the end of the jeep about 2-3" inside the back end. Stand the pinball on end and lean the front part with the coin door against the truck. Then pick the back end up and the front end will be on the roller. Now just push the pin in. The PVC pipe acts as a roller and the pin will slide in with no problems. The back seats after their folded down stick up a tad and the PVC helps keeps it higher so it won't get caught metal brackets for the seats. I've loaded at least 50 pins this way and it works like a charm every time. Also make sure to take the PVC pipe out when u drive or else it will slide all over back there.

#52 4 years ago

We purchased the Escalera earlier this year and couldn't be happier. The only accessories I have so far are the big wheel attachment and the manual forklift option. I will be purchasing a trailer-hitch attachment so I can transport the Escalera with forklift more easily. Talking with Larry K. helped us find just the right options for our use.

The forklift option is a big help while I am setting up and breaking down machines; I do not have lift-table. I am able to have the cabinet up so I can completely attach all four legs at once, while I make adjustments for pitch and level. The manual gears for the forklift have an auto-lock feature which is super convenient while I am solo.

Thanks for this thread as I have found a lot of good information to further my efforts while alone.

#53 4 years ago

I can totally see the value an Escalera type device can bring to this task. It's quite perfect for meeting my needs.

My only objection is cost (as always, right?). I'd rather spend the $2K to $3K on a couple project pins, but then I'd have no way to haul them and get them into my workshop.

It's a bit of a catch 22...

#54 4 years ago

There is always the option of disconnecting the head and playfield and moving in three pieces if you have no help and have stairs to navigate.

It sounds like a pain in the ass, but it really isn't that bad once you've done it a few times.

#55 4 years ago

I just had to move my first purchase by myself today (TZ!) ... Seller was great in helping to load, but the hydraulic lift cart from harbor freight was invaluable. Slid it out of my truck a foot, attached the rear legs, then onto the cart. Cardboard helped it slide easier, but still a bit of a beast. He had a hand truck that could traverse the stairs quite easily, definitely a must have if you've got stairs.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from markp99:

Agree. This is my thought, mostly. But, at some point with stairs you are either hoisting or dropping the ~full weight the height of that next step. Right?

There is a stair dolly with "tank treads" thats glides up and down stairways, iv'e used it a handfull of times for work moving 400-1500 lbs motors/generators for elevator repairs... Latley its all chainfalls beacause it was taken by another office in the company so its been a few years since ive used it, i couldnt tell you where to get it but it does exist(manufactured) and is AWESOME, oh and it runs on rechargable batteries which is cool, you just press a button.

#57 4 years ago

12359834_539206209565930_7795039973486651147_n.jpg12313769_539206446232573_620889888134924304_n.jpg

This shows the Escalera with the forklift option lifting the game from the front to put the legs on. Its hard to see in the pictures but the game is off the ground with about 6 inch clearance between the bottom of the leg and the floor. I put the tape measure directly under the leg to help show the space but it didn't really do the job.

Silver spinner wanted a video from start to finish but I haven't had time to do something that complete so imagine that the front legs were installed with the game upright and then simply lowered on it on the front legs like normal. Then I slide the forklift with pinball plate under it and crank it up so that the back legs lift off the floor. Install the back legs and you are done. Slide it into place and play.

#58 4 years ago

do you have the extended forklift attachment or is just the normal forks? i would love to see it pick it up from the floor position.( front legs on, so back end of game still on floor). same in reverse breaking down the game.

This shows the Escalera with the forklift option lifting the game from the front to put the legs on. Its hard to see in the pictures but the game is off the ground with about 6 inch clearance between the bottom of the leg and the floor. I put the tape measure directly under the leg to help show the space but it didn't really do the job.
    Silver spinner wanted a video from start to finish but I haven't had time to do something that complete so imagine that the front legs were installed with the game upright and then simply lowered on it on the front legs like normal. Then I slide the forklift with pinball plate under it and crank it up so that the back legs lift off the floor. Install the back legs and you are done. Slide it into place and play.

#59 4 years ago

whats the "pinball plate" for escalera?

#60 4 years ago

The pinball plate is what I call it. It's an extended plate. Longer than the forks at 42 inches. I designed it so it would fit between the legs of a pinball.

#61 4 years ago

would love to see it. i have a plate for my forklift but its too wide to fit between legs on pinball. i designed mine long ago for getting video games etc and palleted items in and out of semi trucks.

1 month later
    #62 4 years ago

I picked up an Escalera from Kitch at Expo last fall, and it has been one of the best purchases ever. For those of you who have moved a Gottlieb System 3 up/down a flight of stairs, you know those games are built like tanks. The Escalera made moving these games solo a breeze.

If you have to negotiate flights of stairs when moving games, the Escalera is a must. Your lumbar spine will thank you.

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from markp99:

On your truck, you just lean on the tailgate, LIFT and PUSH? Not too much for one average (non weightlifter, non piano mover) person?

I just did this this morning. I lifted wrong though and felt something give way in the groin area. Felt a tearing sensation. I didn't drop it but am definitely apply frozen bag of peas to area tonight (like I need a reason) and loading up on ibuprofphin.

I moved over 20 pins in the past few years, you definitely need another person or the hand truck that walks up stairs by itself. I can tell you black hole, popeye, and rocky and bullwinkle are freaking heavy.

#64 4 years ago

I use a jeep and it's easy loading it with one person and I've had two back surgeries. Unloading with a pinball dolly at home is easy too.

For loading I do assume that with the help of the owner or his neighbor we can get it outside on its legs. After that it's cake. Lay a piece of cardboard in your jeep. Back your bumper up to the machine. Take off one leg and sit the corner of the back of the machine with head down on lip of jeep bed. Take off other leg. From front of machine push it in until front legs are at bumper. By this time front legs are off ground. Remove front legs and slide machine on in. Works same for a pickup tailgate. The only lifting involved is getting one corner of machine on bed. The rest is leverage and pushing. At home raise your dolly the same height as bed and slide right on out.

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from jesster64:

I just did this this morning. I lifted wrong though and felt something give way in the groin area. Felt a tearing sensation. I didn't drop it but am definitely apply frozen bag of peas to area tonight (like I need a reason) and loading up on ibuprofphin.
    I moved over 20 pins in the past few years, you definitely need another person or the hand truck that walks up stairs by itself. I can tell you black hole, popeye, and rocky and bullwinkle are freaking heavy.

Popeye is an absolute killer. I can't believe the listed weight of 20-25kg more than BW narrow body WPC games or 30-35kg more than Sterns is correct. It feels like the cabinet is filled with rocks - as ballast to fit the nautical theme.

#66 4 years ago

We just moved 24 from my walk out up to the garage. Fun when you have to shovel the yard, and traverse packed snow on a hill from the kids sledding on it. It can be done in the summer, on a good day, solo. Tonight it took every bit of three of us to get it thru the yard and up the hill.

Oh yeah, always move games on a dolly. It is the only way to move a game without issues. Snow, ice, mud, grass, doesn't matter. I always use a two wheeler with tires that take air. Others go refrigerator dolly with smaller hard wheels. That would work in the wet grass here in MN.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from jesster64:

Sounds like you blew a gasket! Hope hernia surgery is not in your immediate future. I had one done in the last year. No biggie, but still a bit of a boo boo.

#68 4 years ago

Just bring along your friend Mr Dolly and you should be OK

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I've got tight stairs and a dolly won't work. If you want to easily move a pin up any flight of stairs by yourself; take it apart.
    Step 1. Take pictures of the boards in the backbox.
    Step 2. Disconnect the wire harness from the boards in backbox.
    Step 3. Remove backbox from cabinet.
    Step 4. Remove lock bar and glass.
    Step 5. Carefully remove Playfield. Set it aside, don't break anything.
    Step 6. Remove legs.
    Bring each part up the stairs and put it in your jeep. Use your pictures to make sure the connections go back to the right spot. Put the Playfield back into the cabinet to transport it. The head can be left off until you get home.
    It takes some time, but you can get a pin outta anywhere by yourself.

This exactly what I do.

At first, it seems intimidating, but with pics, the placement memory in the wires, the keys in the connectors and the manual to confirm
    wire colors, it really is almost foolproof. Just take your time.

#70 4 years ago

Yeah I just take it apart as well. I take pictures, but in the end I usually don't even need them

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Republic Of Pinball
    $ 149.00
    $ 221.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 13.00
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 1,248.00
    $ 209.99
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 209.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 25.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 50.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Other
    PIN-UPS
    There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside