Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ecmurrayf1
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1263.JPG
IMG_1264.JPG
IMG_1262.JPG

#1 4 years ago

I bought a HS and will be moving it 6 miles from his home to mine. I've got vehicles. What is the best way to prepare it for transport? Take legs off? Wrap it? Lower the backbox?

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from rwarren28806:

Take legs off? Wrap it? Lower the backbox?

Yup all those but in this order, lower bb, wrap, take legs off. Use about 6 or 7 wraps of stretch wrap. And if there's a latch on the back of the bb and cab take it off.

#3 4 years ago

When you lower the backbox put something between the boxbox and the cabinet, a piece of cardboard or a very thick towel, so that it doesn't ding up anything.

#4 4 years ago

In lieu of stretch wrap, tarp maybe? Is the wrap to keep the BB from bouncing around?

#5 4 years ago

In lieu of stretch wrap, tarp maybe? Is the wrap to keep the BB from bouncing around?

The plastic helps protect the cabinet from damage and scrapes--especially when being loaded/unloaded and hauled inside. For instance, if the cabinet gets hit with a door knob, the plastic would protect it for the most part (but that depends on how hard the knob slammed into the cabinet and how many layers of plastic there are on the pin). A tarp won't help much.

Additionally, add a piece of cardboard between the cabinet and the head when it's folded down to help protect both from damage.

Online places are cheaper for shrink/stretch wrap: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-i-you-get-your-shrink-wrap-from

However, Lowe's, Home Depot, and Staples carry it--it just costs a bit more (especially at staples).

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

When you lower the backbox put something between the boxbox and the cabinet, a piece of cardboard or a very thick towel, so that it doesn't ding up anything.

Oups, forgot that one.

#7 4 years ago

Is the wrap to keep the BB from bouncing around?

Yes, it's a must.

#8 4 years ago

Instead of stretch wrap, you can use a ratcheting strap.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

Instead of stretch wrap, you can use a ratcheting strap.

If you do that, use packing blankets under the strap, otherwise you may damage the cabinet with the strap.

#10 4 years ago

There's got to be a youtube video of how to takedown/move a pin.

#11 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations. First time moving one of these. It's a project machine but I don't want to add unnecessarily to it by screwing something up in transport.

#12 4 years ago

Here's one by pmWolf - just do that backwards

Oops -

#13 4 years ago

You don't need stretch wrap if it's going in a vehicle. Just be careful moving it and you'll be fine.

I generally use a strap around the head and cab. Sometimes if the move is short, I don't even use a strap. Depends on how easy the move is.

Rule of thumb though: strap and something in between head and cab.

#14 4 years ago

6 miles? Get a low utility trailer, drop the backbox, put the game on the trailer and throw a strap over it.

I know a guy who butts the game up to his pickup tailgate, takes off two legs and slides the game on with the back two legs hanging down past the tailgate. No strap, no worries.

Why do you guys always make things so complicated?

#15 4 years ago

Sort of on topic: What's the name of the product that bolts onto the lawnmower/atv lifts? It allows you the slide it under the pin, jack it up & move it with the legs on. Anyone have the name/link to purchase one?
Thanks,
Zamp

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you do that, use packing blankets under the strap, otherwise you may damage the cabinet with the strap.

Or plastic edge protectors.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Sort of on topic: What's the name of the product that bolts onto the lawnmower/atv lifts? It allows you the slide it under the pin, jack it up & move it with the legs on. Anyone have the name/link to purchase one?
Thanks,
Zamp

You want this: http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60730-10041.html

#18 4 years ago

I hadn't seen that. That is slick! Any modifications need to be done to that(ie. the handle)?

#19 4 years ago

I always take the pin to the back of my Jeep with the legs on and the head folded down. I then take off the back legs and slide it in most of the way and then take off the front legs and slide it in the rest of the way.

#20 4 years ago

It's always a good idea to take the balls out first. If you stand the machine up, it's easy for the balls to come out of the trough, and do some damage.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Thanks,
Zamp

IMO Pinball Skates are the easiest way to actually move a game with legs on. Lift tables are convenient for loading/unloading and taking off legs though.

#22 4 years ago

Just ordered this, my back is looking forward to this new tool.

#23 4 years ago

Here are step by step instructions that I have written for breaking down a game for shipping.

These instructions are meant to prep a game for shipping via a 3rd party shipping company.

So for your 6 mile trip, you may decide to simply use a strap instead of all the shrink wrap that is used in the instructions.

Now, if you do not have a lift, you can still use a bar stool, metal chair or saw horse to help you. I recommend going to home depot or Lowes and getting a plastic saw horse. They are not too
expensive. Best advice would be to go to harbor freight and buy a lift. It will be used time and time again.

01. Unplug the pinball machine.
02. Remove the playfield glass and place it in a safe location.
03. Remove the balls from the game and place them in a ziplock bag.
04. Re-install the playfield glass.
05. Open up the head and remove the head bolts and place them in a ziplock bag.
06. Close up the head and return keys to cabinet door or place them in ziplock bag with head
bolts.
07. If you wish to protect the backglass and head, place a piece of cardboard in front of the backglass.
08. Using blue painters tape or frog tape, secure the cardboard in place so that it covers the backglass.
09. Apply shrinkwrap to the head. Wrap it 4-5 times for ideal snugness.
10. Remove the blue painters tape from the top of the head.
11. Place cardboard or moving blanket across the playfield glass. This will protect the side rails.
12. Fold the head so it is lying on the cardboard or moving blanket.
13. Using stretch wrap, wrap the head and secure it to the body by wrapping from north (top of
the folded head) to south (bottom of the cabinet body).
14. *OPTIONAL* Using a strap, secure the folded head to the body of the cabinet. Do not over
tighten. You want some give in the strap so you can slide cardboard into position.
15. Cut cardboard to fit the side of the cabinet body and slide it between cabinet & shrinkwrap
OR between shrink wrap and strap. Tighen Strap.
16. Once cardboard is in place, apply shrinkwrap to secure cardboard to cabinet body. The ideal
method is to wrap with the playfield glass as north. You then want to roll the shrinkwrap beneath the cabinet body and back up the side and then over the playfield glass. At least 4-5 layers are needed for ideal snugness.
17. BE CAREFUL NOT TO WRAP THE LEG BOLT AREA. You want to be able to remove the bolts.
18. Go behind the machine and start loosening the bolts. You are only trying to loosen. DO NOT REMOVE
19. Place the bar stool, metal chair or saw horse in a spot that you easily access it while holding the back end.
20. With your left hand, grip the underside of the cabinet on the outside edge of the leg.
21. With you right hand, grip the underside of the cabinet on the outside edge of the leg.
22. Lift with your legs. The back end of the machine should now be off the floor.
23. Shift your hip so you can rest the game on it. Reach with one hand and slide the bar stool, saw horse or metal chair beneath the bottom edge of the back side of the cabinet.
24. Before letting go completely, make sure that the machine is stable.
25. Remove the bolts of one backleg and place the leg to one side and the bolts in a ziplock bag.
26. Repeat for the other back leg.
27. Now comes the tricky part. You will need to lift the back end with both hands.
28. Once you have the weight of the machine in your hands, you need to either slide the bar stool (or whatever you used) from beneath the pinball machine.
29. Slowly lower the back end of the machine to the ground. You can put a sofa cushion or pillows or blankets to help cushion the drop. Be wary, this will take some strength.
30. Once the legless back end is on the ground, you simply tip the game onto its but.
31. Remove the front legs. Place the bolts in a ziplock bag.
32. Collect your legs and stack them. Using blue painters tape or an old playfield rubber, bind the four legs together.
33. Place your coin door keys in the zip lock bag.
34. Place a piece of paper with the name of your game in the zip lock bag.
35. Place your zip lock bags inside of the leg crease.
36. Wrap the four legs with shrinkwrap. Place the wrapped legs on the head portion of your folded game.
37. Using Stretch wrap, create a pinball mummy by wrapping the game 4-5 complete rotations.
38. Your game is ready to be hand carted to its transportation vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Marcus

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I hadn't seen that. That is slick! Any modifications need to be done to that(ie. the handle)?

There's a whole thread about those HF carts, but here's a couple pics of mine. Works great!!IMG_1262.JPGIMG_1263.JPGIMG_1264.JPG

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

6 miles? Get a low utility trailer, drop the backbox, put the game on the trailer and throw a strap over it.
I know a guy who butts the game up to his pickup tailgate, takes off two legs and slides the game on with the back two legs hanging down past the tailgate. No strap, no worries.
Why do you guys always make things so complicated?

Yes, this a a short trip and he could get away with it

But there is nothing wrong with telling a newbie how to do it right
His next trip may be a two hour journey on a dirt track

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Yes, this a a short trip and he could get away with it
But there is nothing wrong with telling a newbie how to do it right
His next trip may be a two hour journey on a dirt track

I hope not...................

But then again, if someone is selling a top 20 cheap, who would say no to that????

#27 4 years ago

Pinball Armor is a good investment if you do this often or are concerned about the cabinet art. I used it moving mine and they are very high quality.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 164.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside