Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Lethal_Inc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15F385AE-05D0-4A05-A03D-A5DF77065E6D.jpeg
    20200330_153313 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I have a very fortunate problem. I'm receiving my very first NIB pin tomorrow afternoon. Thanks to Melissa at Cointaker I likely got one of the very last JPs off the line before Stern shut down production due to the virus. Issue is, the local delivery company only uses Semi-trailers and I suspect they will not want to 'back down' my 150 yard gravel driveway as there is no way to turn around at the house. I'll see how daring the drive is sometime tomorrow, but likely he will just a) unload it at the road and leave it for me to deal with or, b) I back my pickup truck and put the pallet in the back.
    If a) - would I be able to move a 270 pound pallet with a residential-quality hand truck (I doubt it)
    if b) - how do I get the pallet out of my truck with just me and the Ms. here?

I guess I could unbox it and lighten the load a bit, but then the pin is exposed in case something I do goes wrong on the gravel urf. 1st world problems...
    Here's a pic. of my driveway from the house. there is a sharp acute angle turn to the road on the left at the end of the driveway where the blue box is...tough for a semi to make that turn.
    Would love some creative ideas. thanks!

20200330_153313 (resized).jpg20200330_153313 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

take the machine (entire box) off the pallet in the semi truck, lay it on it the side that says "truck this side only" (the bottom of the game), then slide it from the semi to the back of your pickup. then, drive up to the house and then slide it from the back of your pickup to the ground, then into the house.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from StoneyCreek:

I have a very fortunate problem. I'm receiving my very first NIB pin tomorrow afternoon. Thanks to Melissa at Cointaker I likely got one of the very last JPs off the line before Stern shut down production due to the virus. Issue is, the local delivery company only uses Semi-trailers and I suspect they will not want to 'back down' my 150 yard gravel driveway as there is no way to turn around at the house. I'll see how daring the drive is sometime tomorrow, but likely he will just a) unload it at the road and leave it for me to deal with or, b) I back my pickup truck and put the pallet in the back.
    If a) - would I be able to move a 270 pound pallet with a residential-quality hand truck (I doubt it)
    if b) - how do I get the pallet out of my truck with just me and the Ms. here?
    I guess I could unbox it and lighten the load a bit, but then the pin is exposed in case something I do goes wrong on the gravel urf. 1st world problems...
    Here's a pic. of my driveway from the house. there is a sharp acute angle turn to the road on the left at the end of the driveway where the blue box is...tough for a semi to make that turn.
    Would love some creative ideas. thanks![quoted image]

Easy to move a pin strapped to a pallet on a hand truck. Easier if that hand truck is the taller "refrigerator/appliance" type for sure - with the wrap around strap.

Challenge is that MOST of those style hand carts tend to have hard wheels that just don't roll on gravel. Air tubed tires are better for gravel
    If you have a utility wagon you could lay it down on the "truck this side only" side and pull it along ...

Edit ... missed the "you've got a pickup truck part" - follow advice in previous post ...

#4 4 years ago

If they are using a pup trailer the driveway is not a problem. A 53’ box trailer could make it, if backing from the right side of the road.

Either case, do they have a lift gate? If not, I don’t know how you get it out of the trailer.

Opening it up outside may be your option. A hand truck likely won’t work well with a small pallet.

Kind of curious how you solve this. “Inquiring minds want to know”.

#5 4 years ago

the 'slide from the back of pickup to the ground' part sounds easy, but it's a 2.5' drop! Are you recommending pulling out the machine and slowly lowering one end down to the ground, and then swiveling it and lowering the other side? We're talking 270 pound (well, less without the pallet).

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

If they are using a pup trailer the driveway is not a problem. A 53’ box trailer could make it, if backing from the right side of the road.
    Either case, do they have a lift gate? If not, I don’t know how you get it out of the trailer.
    Opening it up outside may be your option. A hand truck likely won’t work well with a small pallet.

Yes they do have a lift-gate on the truck.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Ordinarily I'd crowd-source the problem with multiple people, but this virus has us all separated. Hopefully the driver is experienced and can help with a solution.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from StoneyCreek:

the 'slide from the back of pickup to the ground' part sounds easy, but it's a 2.5' drop! Are you recommending pulling out the machine and slowly lowering one end down to the ground, and then swiveling it and lowering the other side? We're talking 270 pound (well, less without the pallet).

You are not going to take 270#s of weight all at once. My experience is from a minivan, but in general you slowly slide out the pin until it just starts to tip and then slowly let it down while pulling out. Put a moving blanket on the ground if you are worried. At no point are you expected to take the entire weight of the pin. You are just slowly letting it down and tilting it on it's bottom.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from StoneyCreek:

Have the pallet (bottom) closest to the tailgate. Slide backwards (slowly) until it "tips" up onto the pallet, standing upright on the ground.
    You should be able to hand truck it around after that.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

You are not going to take 270#s of weight all at once. My experience is from a minivan, but in general you slowly slide out the pin until it just starts to tip and then slowly let it down while pulling out. Put a moving blanket on the ground if you are worried. At no point are you expected to take the entire weight of the pin. You are just slowly letting it down and tilting it on it's bottom.

This is how I would do it. Won't hurt it. I've done regular pins out of the box this way by my self. Most of the weight is leveraged between the tail gate and then the ground fairly rapidly. With you and the wife it should be easy . Also I use a residential dolly every time I move a pin and have never had a problem. Make sure the tires are pumped up otherwise it will be even harder.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from darcangeloel:

This is how I would do it. Won't hurt it. I've done regular pins out of the box this way by my self. Most of the weight is leveraged between the tail gate and then the ground fairly rapidly. With you and the wife it should be easy . Also I use a residential dolly every time I move a pin and have never had a problem. Make sure the tires are pumped up otherwise it will be even harder.

OK. thank for the advice, and it's good to know you guys have done this kind of move before with success. I'm a bit nervous about it as I am totally jazzed to get this game at all, and don't want to screw it up. I'll report back tomorrow if the delivery makes it here.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from StoneyCreek:

Yes they do have a lift-gate on the truck.

Slide game on lift gate. Back your truck to lift gate. Lower lift gate to match your truck. Slide it onto your truck.

LTG : )

#13 4 years ago
    15F385AE-05D0-4A05-A03D-A5DF77065E6D.jpeg15F385AE-05D0-4A05-A03D-A5DF77065E6D.jpeg
    #14 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

take the machine (entire box) off the pallet in the semi truck, lay it on it the side that says "truck this side only" (the bottom of the game), then slide it from the semi to the back of your pickup. then, drive up to the house and then slide it from the back of your pickup to the ground, then into the house.

As this is your first NIB...
    1. Inspect the Hell out of that box for Any questionable damage. If not certain plan B Open the box!
    2 Everything KingPinGames said but Important, when sliding the game off the truck to the back of your pickup truck make Sure the Top of the game goes in First or when you unload it, it will be sitting on its head.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from StoneyCreek:

OK. thank for the advice, and it's good to know you guys have done this kind of move before with success. I'm a bit nervous about it as I am totally jazzed to get this game at all, and don't want to screw it up. I'll report back tomorrow if the delivery makes it here.

After reading through this thread, I firmly believe, that you are nervous.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

After reading through this thread, I firmly believe, that you are nervous.

It's one of those things like cutting down a tree with a chain saw. research first, do some planning, then be careful with your first one. and every one thereafter.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

As this is your first NIB...
    1. Inspect the Hell out of that box for Any questionable damage. If not certain plan B Open the box!
    2 Everything KingPinGames said but Important, when sliding the game off the truck to the back of your pickup truck make Sure the Top of the game goes in First or when you unload it, it will be sitting on its head.

Thanks for the tips!

#18 4 years ago

Truck driver here.
    If trailer does not have liftgate- take machine off pallet, lay it down so "truck this side" faces down. Slide from trailer to your pickup that is backed up to trailer.

It trailer has liftgate- once on ground, take machine off pallet, face the "truck this side" to the front of your truck, now lean the machine against your tailgate and pick-up and slide(think see-saw) pushing into your bed.

I like to unbox on my porch and the put machine on dolly and bring inside.
    You'll have your own plan for that.

And with so many homeowners bitching about damaged driveways, it has pretty much become policy everywhere that drivers of trailers are not to go onto driveways,not allowed unless they are in a straight truck.
    Best wishes
    -Mike

#19 4 years ago

update: big semi arrived at the end of my gravel driveway...driver was a pro. got the machine to my pickup, and loaded into the garage with no issues. thanks for all the reassuring advice. After playing 2.5 games (chaos multiball!! T-rex multiball!) the machine suddenly went dark. been troubleshooting for a couple hours with distributor and via email with Stern. Evidently the CPU crapped out and they're sending me a new one. sigh. that's another thread in another forum. always something. stay healthy all...

#20 4 years ago

Bummer, always sucks when something like that happens, especially your first NIB. Don’t worry, Stern will take care of you.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moving-a-nib-machine-from-semi-truck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.