image (resized).jpeg
ca32d1d7c21bec106a2dabc6df3c1c5c (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
65919234 (resized).jpg
british_quad_being_john_malkovich_original_film_art_spo_2000x (resized).jpg
220px-Dawn_of_the_dead (resized).jpg
20180216_195305 (resized).png
MV5BNzk4N2U0NGYtMmMwYi00YzMxLTliYmEtODFlMWZkNzcwOGRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_ (resized).jpg
MV5BOGNjYjBhYmItMDI3Ni00MWM2LWE2ZDgtY2U5MGNjNDVmYTc1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_ (resized).jpg
judgment-night1 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hey all -

My family has beeen watching a bunch of movies lately and we realized one of the themes has been the exploration of “secret” or buried areas, usually under a city- so I’m looking for more.

We’ve watched:
Indiana Jones and the last crusade
Goonies
Escape from the planet of the apes
Silent Hill
Clue
The Flash recently had an episode dealing with this

Anyway, looking for suggestions!!

#2 6 years ago

From Dusk til Dawn

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from GhostThruster:

From Dusk til Dawn

Lol! I forgot about that but that’s actually perfectly accurate! And by no means will I be showing that movie to my kid .. haha

#4 6 years ago

"C.H.U.D"

#5 6 years ago

National Treasure is kid friendly and probably meets your criteria

#6 6 years ago

The Descent. Watch this one at night.

#7 6 years ago

House on haunted hill.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Yes! We love this one, I left it off the list. I was going to add The DaVinci code, but the kid is only 8, so uh...

#9 6 years ago

Great suggestions! House on haunted hill is a favorite, even the crazy remake (and the significantly inferior 13 Ghosts)

#10 6 years ago

Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold.

A laughably terrible movie that not too many people are aware of, but certainly fits the theme you're looking for.

King Solomon's Mines precedes that film, and is supposedly a bit better, but I haven't seen it.

#11 6 years ago

There's some of that in Firewalker

How about Judgement Night ? Not kid-friendly but has a great 90's alternative soundtrack.

judgment-night1 (resized).jpgjudgment-night1 (resized).jpg

MV5BOGNjYjBhYmItMDI3Ni00MWM2LWE2ZDgtY2U5MGNjNDVmYTc1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_ (resized).jpgMV5BOGNjYjBhYmItMDI3Ni00MWM2LWE2ZDgtY2U5MGNjNDVmYTc1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_ (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

The Night Before. Urban exploration, just not underground:

MV5BNzk4N2U0NGYtMmMwYi00YzMxLTliYmEtODFlMWZkNzcwOGRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_ (resized).jpgMV5BNzk4N2U0NGYtMmMwYi00YzMxLTliYmEtODFlMWZkNzcwOGRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_ (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

An older classic film, but Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) might be worth a watch. I just noticed there was a 2008 remake as well.

Armageddeaon; a disaster film with a journey into the center of the earth.

#14 6 years ago

Sanctum - spelunking thriller in cave system being flooded by sea water.
Dark City - the city is being manipulated an underground society... saying more would spoil it.
Labyrinth - a girl is trapped in a giant maze in a quest to save her brother.
The Poseidon Adventure - escape from an upsidedown ship.

#15 6 years ago

I was for a time in the 90's very into urban exploration. I heard about it on a radio show, maybe TAL. I ended up getting this little zerox zine called "infiltration" it had a great story of a group that explored some abandoned missile silos.

When I was in graduate school in St. Louis, I frequently explored an old hospital, it made for great photos. Fun stuff, but you have to be careful and watchful.

A few other movies:

Hellboy
The Road
Ghost Ship
I am Legend

You might look for some on YouTube, but be careful, could set your kids off into territory that might encourage them to get arrested. Doesn't seem like most spend much time getting permission or preparing for possible problems.

On the TV front, and more wholesome, you might take a look at back episodes of the GPAA "Gold Fever" show with Tom Massee. He's always digging around in old mines or in ghost towns.

#16 6 years ago

One of my favorite movies from that time period. Underrated. Denis Leary makes a spectacular bad guy!

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold.
A laughably terrible movie that not too many people are aware of, but certainly fits the theme you're looking for.
King Solomon's Mines precedes that film, and is supposedly a bit better, but I haven't seen it.

Richard chamberlain and Sharon stone! I remember those! Thanks

#19 6 years ago

Can't forget these John Carpenter/Kurt Russell classics...

Big Trouble In Little China - A trucker, Jack Burton, and his pals investigate a supernatural threat under the streets of San Francisco's china town and quell the disturbance with bullets and martial arts.
Escape from New York - Air Force One has crash landed in a dystopian New York City, which has been converted into a maximum security prison zone. Notorious criminal, Snake Plissken, is sent in on a suicide mission to save the president.

Also,
Chernobyl Diaries - a more recent horror film that takes place in Prypyat. A tour becomes stranded and is ambushed in the night, where they are then forced to find their way out on foot through the abandoned city.

#20 6 years ago

Forbidden Planet

Fantastic Voyage

#21 6 years ago

Killer suggestions! John carpenter is the reason my wife and I are married - we bonded over “the thing”.

We are discussing “secret passage” movies now, after adding some of these to the list. There have to be more...

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Killer suggestions! John carpenter is the reason my wife and I are married - we bonded over “the thing”.
We are discussing “secret passage” movies now, after adding some of these to the list. There have to be more...

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

How about Judgement Night ? Not kid-friendly but has a great 90's alternative soundtrack.

I still have the cd in my truck, really good sountrack, movie wasn't bad either.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Don’t forget about the sequel. It’s not as good as the first National Treasure, but it’s still a fun film. The mummy movies are fun too

#26 6 years ago

That was a good list. I forgot to mention we watched “Neverwhere” which was a Neil Gaiman BBC show that the Hellboy “troll market” scene owes a lot to

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

The Descent. Watch this one at night.

One of my favorite films. Really benefits from the theater experience.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

a great 90's alternative soundtrack.

Agree, this was a favorite too, as was the soundtrack from Strange Days. Another underrated movie from that time.

#30 6 years ago

Lena Headey in a spelunking horror film. "The Cave"

#32 6 years ago

I'm going to say the movie Daylight with Stallone. Lots of spelunking

#33 6 years ago

Dawn of the Dead!

220px-Dawn_of_the_dead (resized).jpg220px-Dawn_of_the_dead (resized).jpg

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

» YouTube video

Reminds me of Being John Malkovich lol

british_quad_being_john_malkovich_original_film_art_spo_2000x (resized).jpgbritish_quad_being_john_malkovich_original_film_art_spo_2000x (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago

This spelunking movie is not for the kids.

https://www.google.com/search?q=descent+movie+2007&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

I have one more very scary movie to fit this category. I am trying to find it. It will be rated r. It's about an old haunted church.

#36 6 years ago

Cannon best TV show ever!

65919234 (resized).jpg65919234 (resized).jpg

#37 6 years ago

This movie was very good. No giving away anything it is NOT for the kids.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Borderlands_(2013_film)

#38 6 years ago

the dark knight rises (Batman)

#39 6 years ago

The Abyss with Ed Harris. Love that movie....

#40 6 years ago

Family friendly. Bronson digging tunnels like a madman. Even more fascinating when you read up on the actual true story behind it.
ca32d1d7c21bec106a2dabc6df3c1c5c (resized).jpgca32d1d7c21bec106a2dabc6df3c1c5c (resized).jpg

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Family friendly. Bronson digging tunnels like a madman. Even more fascinating when you read up on the actual true story behind it.

Love this movie - and Papillon which isn’t quite as famous but just as good.

Last night we watched Addams Family, which has the huge vault under the house!

#42 6 years ago

This was kid friendly and fantastic.

#43 6 years ago

Little Monsters, The Monster Squad, and Flight of the Navigator might be fun adventure/exploring movies for an 8 year old.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Little Monsters, The Monster Squad, and Flight of the Navigator might be fun adventure/exploring movies for an 8 year old.

Great examples! Love Explorers. Still remember my grandmother renting that and almost turning it off after the “elephant it is” fight scene. Joe Dante is a genius!’

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Great examples! Love Explorers. Still remember my grandmother renting that and almost turning it off after the “elephant it is” fight scene. Joe Dante is a genius!’

I'm going to rewatch explorers. Fun! It is time.

#47 6 years ago

I need to rewatch session nine. I was confused both times. It has been a long time.

I remember getting it, getting it and then losing it. I need to watch it again. It is a testament to filmmaking that I might actually watch it a third time. In my opinion.

#48 6 years ago

Session 9 was a great, cheap film. Shows you can make an enjoyable movie without a lot of bucks. Good twist at the end too.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend “housebound”. It is a New Zealand movie, one of those rare comedy/horror movies that actually works. It’s more like horror/suspense with perfectly timed funny scenes. The whole movie just unravels, it’s fantastic. Also fits the thread theme, which you’ll get once you’ve seen it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/movies-with-urban-exploration-spelunking?hl=ghostthruster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.