(Topic ID: 200422)

Movie Theme Integration: Toys or AV more important?

By SprSnc

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Darscot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Given a fixed budget in which you can't have the best of both, what's more important for successful movie theme integration in a pinball machine?”

• Toys 18 votes
    53%
  • Audio/Visual (movie soundtrack, video clips, voice clips) 16 votes
    47%

(34 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SprSnc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Poll: Given a fixed budget in which you can't have the best of both, what's more important for successful movie theme integration in a pinball machine: Toys or Audio/Visual (movie soundtrack, video clips, and voice clips)?

Asking, because it looks like Stern Star Wars and JJP POTC chose two different paths here. Stern Star Wars chose to spend its budget on the movie soundtrack, movie video clips, and actor audio clips, leaving less budget for Toys. JJP POTC chose to spend its budget on Toys, leaving less budget for AV.

Personally, I think each manufacturer chose to allocate it's budget appropriately for each theme. The Star Wars movies are awesome, so including all of the AV was the best way to spend the budget, at the expense of Toys. The POTC movies are not as good, so it was the right call to add more Toys at the expense of clips from the movie.

#3 2 years ago

Agree, very subjective, and theme dependent for me.

Some questions I ask myself:

Would I sacrifice the John Williams soundtrack on Star Wars to get an awesome play field toy like force magnets or interactive lightsabers? I lean towards no.

Would I sacrifice a major POTC playfield toy like the Black Pearl ship to get the movie soundtrack and voice clips? Doubtful.

I general, I think weak themes are better served saving on AV licensing fees and spending more on toys. And vice versa.

#5 2 years ago

Poll is pretty even so far (4 votes for each). Kind of explains why some are OK spending up to $9K on Star Wars with great licensed AV and limited Toys, while others are OK spending the same amount on POTC with great Toys and limited licensed AV.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SprSnc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside