(Topic ID: 200422)

Movie Theme Integration: Toys or AV more important?

By SprSnc

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Darscot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Given a fixed budget in which you can't have the best of both, what's more important for successful movie theme integration in a pinball machine?”

• Toys 18 votes
    53%
  • Audio/Visual (movie soundtrack, video clips, voice clips) 16 votes
    47%

(34 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 2 years ago

Poll: Given a fixed budget in which you can't have the best of both, what's more important for successful movie theme integration in a pinball machine: Toys or Audio/Visual (movie soundtrack, video clips, and voice clips)?

Asking, because it looks like Stern Star Wars and JJP POTC chose two different paths here. Stern Star Wars chose to spend its budget on the movie soundtrack, movie video clips, and actor audio clips, leaving less budget for Toys. JJP POTC chose to spend its budget on Toys, leaving less budget for AV.

Personally, I think each manufacturer chose to allocate it's budget appropriately for each theme. The Star Wars movies are awesome, so including all of the AV was the best way to spend the budget, at the expense of Toys. The POTC movies are not as good, so it was the right call to add more Toys at the expense of clips from the movie.

#2 2 years ago

In a perfect world both AV and interactive mechanisms . Very subjective question . I voted Audio Visual . That is a big factor for my enjoyment of a pinball . Example TNA or TX Sector .

#3 2 years ago

Agree, very subjective, and theme dependent for me.

Some questions I ask myself:

Would I sacrifice the John Williams soundtrack on Star Wars to get an awesome play field toy like force magnets or interactive lightsabers? I lean towards no.

Would I sacrifice a major POTC playfield toy like the Black Pearl ship to get the movie soundtrack and voice clips? Doubtful.

I general, I think weak themes are better served saving on AV licensing fees and spending more on toys. And vice versa.

#4 2 years ago

Both, but toys get the nod.

When I play I can't see animations so, I enjoy the relevant toys during and after the game is over.
Of course hearing great callouts/sounds is mandatory in any game.

I don't like it when people add toys that really don't fit the theme of the game.
Example: DW covers Doctors 1-7 but I see people add toys / sounds that were from episodes not true to the theme of the first 7 doctors. They are very cool looking, but IMO it just feels wrong.
faz

#5 2 years ago

Poll is pretty even so far (4 votes for each). Kind of explains why some are OK spending up to $9K on Star Wars with great licensed AV and limited Toys, while others are OK spending the same amount on POTC with great Toys and limited licensed AV.

#6 2 years ago

Gameplay + Rules.

#7 2 years ago

Neither.

I don't really like pinball games themed after movies. Especially old movies. It's lame.

#8 2 years ago

I think there needs to be a balance of both toys and audio/video. There are just certain items that need to be there.

I think the Williams IJ is a great example of how to successfully do this , twilight zone would be another.

I'm a major Pirates fan as well as Star War. My main concern with the new Pirates is music and callouts.

I think the Pirates theme music would be fantastic to play pinball to if in the game. I couldn't make it out in the videos I've seen so far and would be a major miss in my opinion, especially for that kind of money.

As for video display on the new Pirates, doesn't the info sheet mention having quite a few movie clips? Maybe just not integrated into the code yet?

Probably end up buying one anyway though

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

As for video display on the new Pirates, doesn't the info sheet mention having quite a few movie clips? Maybe just not integrated into the code yet?

Forget the number they said but only 20 or 30% done with Code (?) so i'm sure there are tons more clips to come

#10 2 years ago

pinball is under the glass for me, has to be toys/features.

never really see the dots on games when you are playing and I dont really look up at the big screen on the jjp games up to this point

Toys/features all day but not to say A/V isn't important.

I would go Audio well above Video

#11 2 years ago

For the home game experience, audio is way more important to me that video or toys.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Both, but toys get the nod.
When I play I can't see animations so, I enjoy the relevant toys during and after the game is over.
Of course hearing great callouts/sounds is mandatory in any game.
I don't like it when people add toys that really don't fit the theme of the game.
Example: DW covers Doctors 1-7 but I see people add toys / sounds that were from episodes not true to the theme of the first 7 doctors. They are very cool looking, but IMO it just feels wrong.
faz

Haha, I am one of those guys (more familiar with the new Doctors so it makes it more fun for me to hear callouts from more recent episodes) - but faz is right, you can't see the animations usually so they are kind of wasted on the player.

Hobbit is a great example of this - the game is STUNNING but the player misses half of it because you are trying not to lose a ball in multiball for much of the game. It's fun as hell luckily, but I recently looked up during a mode and saw all this stuff I had missed before

#13 2 years ago

Both is the only right answer. Stern on Star Wars really went with neither. The integration of video and audio is not good. The clips are often low res using about 1/4 of the screen. The audio is good because the source is good, Stern did little to take advantage of that amazing audio. A movie theme pin needs to create the atmosphere of the film. When playing Star Wars you should feel the moment that Darth Vader is close. You should hear his breathing, then the Imperial March, lastly the sound and lights of the red saber being turned on. It doesn't have to be video to give you that feel, the pin going dark then red would be enough. Then the pin itself should crank up the difficulty, magnets hucking the ball at you, you should be afraid. I don't get any of that playing Sterns pin, because it fails at that atmosphere. I know its a video game but anyone play Battlefront, what happens when you see Vader on the battlefield you crap your pants, dudes just fucking run, its awesome. That is integration of theme. JJPs latest does appear to capture the atmosphere of the pin and that's what matters.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside