You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
D57339A5-E047-44C9-B6A7-4E38E2C8D28B (resized).jpeg
8A08B929-223E-4F33-8A71-F833513B9A07 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

The time has come to get serious about our popcorn. Curious about options I have. I’ve seen the old-timey popcorn cart, and it looks great! But I’m not sure what the maintenance is like. Open to more industrial options as well. It will help if it looks “nice” but I’m not totally hung up on that if it makes a great bowl of popcorn with a big show (e.g. movie theater style)

Thanks !!

#3 1 year ago

The Whirly Pop makes about the best damn popcorn I have every had. Plus it’s cheap and easy to clean

8A08B929-223E-4F33-8A71-F833513B9A07 (resized).jpeg8A08B929-223E-4F33-8A71-F833513B9A07 (resized).jpeg
#4 1 year ago

When I was in college l we had a full-blown Cretors popcorn popper. That’s the brand the most movie theaters have. It was awesome. No maintenance. We just had to take some basic steps to keep it somewhat clean.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

The Whirly Pop makes about the best damn popcorn I have every had. Plus it’s cheap and easy to clean
[quoted image]

Nice! Have that one

#6 1 year ago

Thanks- this is a good find

#7 1 year ago

I love my popcorn machine, and got a lot of good recommendations from the earlier mentioned thread. Here is what I use, minimal upkeep, great popcorn everytime:

Machine - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z9LHAG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
Popcorn/oil/salt - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096438MRN
Extra seasoning - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HN5KNA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
Butter type topping (really makes it taste like the theaters) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AXK9ROC

I sprinkle a bit of extra seasoning, then use a squirt bottle for the butterish liquid

#8 1 year ago

All those "artificial" butter oils and salts etc have been linked to Alzheimers. Nasty stuff. I suggest olive oil and plain ol salt (finely ground)

#9 1 year ago

I just go to Publix, popcorn there is pretty good! $2.99 last time I bought a bag. One of my cats is a popcorn fanatic and craves it.

D57339A5-E047-44C9-B6A7-4E38E2C8D28B (resized).jpegD57339A5-E047-44C9-B6A7-4E38E2C8D28B (resized).jpeg
#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I just go to Publix, popcorn there is pretty good! $2.99 last time I bought a bag. One of my cats is a popcorn fanatic and craves it.[quoted image]

It is our dogs favorite thing... both of them go nuts for popcorn.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I just go to Publix, popcorn there is pretty good! $2.99 last time I bought a bag. One of my cats is a popcorn fanatic and craves it.[quoted image]

Nice looking cat! What kind is that - Abyssinian?

#12 1 year ago

We got this one without the cart about a year ago. We like it without the cart to be able to bring it out and use it and then put it away when we aren't using it. We've been really happy with it. We like their popcorn/oil/salt packs for it too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z9GDYG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#13 1 year ago

Make sure you order some Flavacol while you're at it!

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from sbmania:

Nice looking cat! What kind is that - Abyssinian?

That’s him as a kitten. Now he’s an 18 month Abyssinian.

#15 1 year ago

The popcorn machine discussion always makes me think of this hillarious scene from "New Girl" when Jess thinks Cece is into Nick but she's just trying to talk him into one for the bar:

#16 1 year ago

When you guys get serious about some popcorn http://www.dunbarmanufacturing.com/

My family owns the business.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

We got this one without the cart about a year ago. We like it without the cart to be able to bring it out and use it and then put it away when we aren't using it. We've been really happy with it. We like their popcorn/oil/salt packs for it too.
amazon.com link »

I think I'm gonna remove mine from the cart and bring it upstairs from the game room and see if we use it more.

#18 1 year ago

My secret weapon for great popcorn finishing is using warm clarified butter (ghee) instead of regular butter or the nuclear-orange oil. It coats the popcorn rather than making it soggy like regular melted butter does. You can make it yourself or just buy it in jars at Publix, etc.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from squaresville:

My secret weapon for great popcorn finishing is using warm clarified butter (ghee) instead of regular butter or the nuclear-orange oil. It coats the popcorn rather than making it soggy like regular melted butter does. You can make it yourself or just buy it in jars at Publix, etc.

I bet that's good. Holy crap though. ghee is like half saturated fat! I'm not a big fan of the nuclear-orange oil either, but man keep an eye on your LDLs!

#20 1 year ago

I've been using the whirley pop from that popcorn thread, coconut oil, good quality kernels, 1/2 tsp of flavacol when popping, and finishing it with nuclear orange butter flavored oil. Pretty darn close to theater popcorn and not $15 a batch! We would have gotten a popcorn machine but don't have the counterspace and don't want/have the space for a cart.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I've been using the whirley pop from that popcorn thread, coconut oil, good quality kernels, 1/2 tsp of flavacol when popping, and finishing it with nuclear orange butter flavored oil. Pretty darn close to theater popcorn and not $15 a batch! We would have gotten a popcorn machine but don't have the counterspace and don't want/have the space for a cart.

Whirly pop is what we use now - not using coconut oil though, I'm going to look into that. Kinda looking at the machine as a special item for the basement - the kid makes popcorn almost every night, so he's not going to be using the machine unless he's cleaning it out regularly!

#22 1 year ago

After seeing this post...I went and bought the whirly Pop along with some buttery coconut oil & Flavorcol.

Are there any pointers for someone who's going to use these products for the 1st time?

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

After seeing this post...I went and bought the whirly Pop along with some buttery coconut oil & Flavorcol.
Are there any pointers for someone who's going to use these products for the 1st time?

It'll take some experimenting with your burner and at what setting to put your stove on. I have an LG gas stove, and on the biggest burner, I have mine set to 4 (which is medium). I use a 1 oz ice cream scoop to measure the coconut oil, 1/2 tsp of Flavacol, and just a smidgen under 1/2 C of kernels.

Everything in the popper, whirl it until you don't hear any popping anymore, then keep cooking for another 30-40 seconds. I found that this helped dry the popcorn more. Then toss it into your bowl and top it with extra seasoning or butter flavoring.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

It'll take some experimenting with your burner and at what setting to put your stove on. I have an LG gas stove, and on the biggest burner, I have mine set to 4 (which is medium). I use a 1 oz ice cream scoop to measure the coconut oil, 1/2 tsp of Flavacol, and just a smidgen under 1/2 C of kernels.
Everything in the popper, whirl it until you don't hear any popping anymore, then keep cooking for another 30-40 seconds. I found that this helped dry the popcorn more. Then toss it into your bowl and top it with extra seasoning or butter flavoring.

I have a glass top cooking surface. It'll take some experimenting.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Parzival:

I love my popcorn machine, and got a lot of good recommendations from the earlier mentioned thread. Here is what I use, minimal upkeep, great popcorn everytime:
Machine - amazon.com link »
Popcorn/oil/salt - amazon.com link »
Extra seasoning - amazon.com link »
Butter type topping (really makes it taste like the theaters) - amazon.com link »
I sprinkle a bit of extra seasoning, then use a squirt bottle for the butterish liquid

Dude that fake butter topping is like liquid death. I'd avoid that shit.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

Dude that fake butter topping is like liquid death. I'd avoid that shit.

yup. linked to Alzheimer's too
I bought some once, noticed how fake it looked, smelled and tasted. Researched. Tossed in trash

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

All those "artificial" butter oils and salts etc have been linked to Alzheimers. Nasty stuff. I suggest olive oil and plain ol salt (finely ground)

Second this

#28 1 year ago

So I'm enjoying the pop corn machine thread then it turns to Liquid Death! LOL

Diacetyl is an inhalation hazard, mainly to factory workers and vapers of vape containing it. There was one study that extrapolated a link to Alzheimers, and that study has not been backed up. Alzheimers has touched my family too so I'm not insensitive to it.

But let's stop eating everything that includes diacetyl including Popcorn, Potato chips, Crackers, Corn chips, Chocolate, Cookies, Cocoa-flavor products, Gelatin, Candy, Flour mixes, Syrup with flavoring, Frostings, Chewing gum, Ice cream, Soft drinks, Sauces

Along with processed foods, diacetyl occurs naturally in: Dairy products, Beer and wine, Honey and most fruits, Coffee

And while we're at it, Chlorine causes lung problems similar to diacetyl, better stop swimming in pools.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I have a glass top cooking surface. It'll take some experimenting.

Yep, you'll have to experiment. It took me a handful of batches to get it right. I tried really hot to medium to low. And it always came out a little too chewy. But now I've got it where it's nice and crispy and I can pop nearly 100% of the kernels. My kids always get excited to see how many kernels are left once we finish the bowl. Usually there's only 1 or 2 left.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from psd4me:

When you guys get serious about some popcorn http://www.dunbarmanufacturing.com/
My family owns the business.

Man, I'm not one to rag on a great long-standing American business, but dude that website needs an update.

Also, your company name is misspelled in your footer:
Dunbar Manufactuing * 390 N. Gilbert St. * South Elgin, Illinois 60177 * USA *

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

Man, I'm not one to rag on a great long-standing American business, but dude that website needs an update.
Also, your company name is misspelled in your footer:
Dunbar Manufactuing * 390 N. Gilbert St. * South Elgin, Illinois 60177 * USA *

Honestly he just stuck that up because. It's been proven several times any kind of advertising for us is a waste of money. If your looking for this type of machine you find us one way or another. Think PBR (Steve Young) only around much longer. We've owned the business since 61 when it was moved out of Chicago.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from psd4me:

Honestly he just stuck that up because. It's been proven several times any kind of advertising for us is a waste of money. If your looking for this type of machine you find us one way or another. Think PBR (Steve Young) only around much longer. We've owned the business since 61 when it was moved out of Chicago.

That's pretty cool.

In another life I was a machinist at a shop that made custom piston rings. I was talking to the owner one day about why he didn't advertise, and he said the same thing - if someone is looking for them, they'll find us, there are only a few places that do what we do.

#33 1 year ago

I have a small 4oz movie theater style popper, works good but it has never produced movie theater quality popcorn... until today. I have always wondered why theater popcorn has that perfect cruchiness to it but I couldn't replicate it at home.

Many will say it is about the oil temperature not being hot enough but that is only a very small part of the problem. Theaters actually have "popcorn conditioners"(the display case) that they put their popcorn in. It blows hot air over the popcorn to keep it warm but more importantly to crisp it up perfectly crunchy.

I don't have a "popcorn conditioner" nor do I really want to buy one, but I do have a common alternative though. An air fryer. I put my freshly popped popcorn or even day old popcorn in the air fryer for a few minutes and it gives it that perfect crunch I was desiring.

#34 1 year ago

This is great! Where's the thread on boiled peanuts? I could use some insight on that too.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

This is great! Where's the thread on boiled peanuts? I could use some insight on that too.

Start a thread

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from squaresville:

100% - I pop my popcorn in ghee using this popper
Ghee has a high smoke point and gives it a great taste
top if off with Redmond Real Salt
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from Jman44:

I have a small 4oz movie theater style popper, works good but it has never produced movie theater quality popcorn... until today. I have always wondered why theater popcorn has that perfect cruchiness to it but I couldn't replicate it at home.
Many will say it is about the oil temperature not being hot enough but that is only a very small part of the problem. Theaters actually have "popcorn conditioners"(the display case) that they put their popcorn in. It blows hot air over the popcorn to keep it warm but more importantly to crisp it up perfectly crunchy.
I don't have a "popcorn conditioner" nor do I really want to buy one, but I do have a common alternative though. An air fryer. I put my freshly popped popcorn or even day old popcorn in the air fryer for a few minutes and it gives it that perfect crunch I was desiring.

This is amazing. i literally bought my commercial popper just to be able to make my popcorn less chewy and while improved it still isn't perfect. I'm totally going to try this.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/movie-theater-popcorn-poppers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.