(Topic ID: 201686)

"Movie Poster Sized" pinball flyers?

By PinballFever

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I was thinking about having a pinball flyer printed movie poster size for framing on the wall. (standard movie poster size is about 27x41 inches)

Have any of you tried this or tried a larger than normal flyer size? How does it look?

Bruce

#2 6 years ago

You would have to enlarge the original image by almost 400%. The quality will be poor at that scale of duplication.

A poster-sized collage made out of many flyers might be the way to go.

#3 6 years ago

This is the one I was thinking of. http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1068&picno=4224&zoom=1

Wouldn't the quality be better if I changed it to vector image then enlarged it?

Bruce

#4 6 years ago

I think youd have trouble changing all that text and graphic to Vector. You'd be best to try to find a high res scan of that flyer. Or find some way to put some effect over the top to cover the distortion.

#5 6 years ago

That being said, I think you could fudge this with some effort on PS. If you could match up fonts, you could key in all the type in the flyer. All youd really need from the current image is the the bull head and the "drawing" of the game. I think you could get away with cutting these out and blowing them up from a higher res copy, and recreating the rest in PS. Sounds like a fun job!

#6 6 years ago

That's what I was thinking of trying. I just want to make that flyer poster size and hang it framed next to my game. I'll post the result here if I do it.

Bruce

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

This is the one I was thinking of. http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1068&picno=4224&zoom=1
    Wouldn't the quality be better if I changed it to vector image then enlarged it?
    Bruce

If you can get a high-resolution scan of the original flyer, some of the art (the text, bull, and other shapes) could be vectorized reasonably well and—with enough manicuring—produce quality results. The photo of the game, on the other hand, will not scan and scale well. Its halftone patterns will produce moire effects, which will have to be blurred out, reducing detail and resulting in a fuzzy image. Since you own the game, you could try to reproduce the studio photography and transplant it onto your poster design.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from leckmeck:

If you can get a high-resolution scan of the original flyer, some of the art (the text, bull, and other shapes) could be vectorized reasonably well and—with enough manicuring—produce quality results.

I could ask IPDB.org who they got the image of the flyer from and see if I can obtain a high quality scan of it.

Quoted from leckmeck:

Since you own the game, you could try to reproduce the studio photography and transplant it onto your poster design.

That's another option. I think this particular flyer design and the fact it's not full color might look cool as a movie poster.

I'm surprised no one else has tried this. Maybe that's why.

Bruce

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/movie-poster-sized-pinball-flyers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.