Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
PowerBox.JPG
P1000652.JPG
IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zzap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Hi all, I just bought my first pinball machine (a Bally World Cup Soccer), which was working fine when I picked it up, but after a 3 hour drive, seems to have some issues (damn!).

I plugged it in and turned it on, only to hear a pop, and no response from the machine. Lifting up the playfield I checked the fuse in the power supply (8A), and that had blown.

One thing I noticed was there were a couple of cut wires around the power supply (white and black) the white one was end down on the metal power supply, wondering if this shorted on the supply causing the blown fuse? (these have been taped up now, but may have been to do with a conversion from 110 to 240V?).

Using a 5A fuse in the power supply (all I had around), I powered it back up and there were a few more popping noises that concerned me, so I promptly turned it back off. Checking the power supply fuse again, it hadn't blown, so not sure where to go from here.

This is my first machine, so maybe some of the noises are normal, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for things I should check before I re power it back up so I don't fry any boards etc? (or myself!)

#5 11 years ago

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll head off and get a few of all the necessary fuses!

Here's a couple of photos of the cut wires, after tracing it around I've discovered they run from the power supply (they were cut out of those 2 clear joiners) over to the front left corner of the cabinet. They are thicker wires than many of the others, and are run in clear plastic tubing you can see in the second photo.

IMG_0494.JPGIMG_0494.JPG IMG_0495.JPGIMG_0495.JPG

#6 11 years ago

Oh, forgot to mention, the cut wires are the ones with the red tape on them in the first picture.

#8 11 years ago

Thanks Mark, the pops were definitely electric (sort of a squeek at power up and then some pops), I assume some of these noises were from the speakers and the machine generally energizing? Didn't seem like solenoids firing, and wasn't constant.

How long would it normally take from switching on a WPC machine until something shows on the dmd?

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Please report back.

Will do! I should have a chance to go through the above tests tomorrow night

#14 11 years ago

Ok, been through all the fuses, nothing else blown, only one fuse (F902) was incorrect (5A instead of 3A) and that was replaced.

Looking at the power supply fuse again, it was only 32V rated instead of 250V, so that's now been replaced with a 5A SB fuse as per manual for foreign game (Australia here).

Just working through the connectors now, I have discovered some crappy fixes on J120 where the wires have been re-soldered directly to the pins. Also half of J121 is missing

P1000652.JPGP1000652.JPG

#17 11 years ago

Ok, fired it up, and 100% working!

Well, not 100%, a few lesser issues that I'll need to look at:
- Boot report mentioned "Check Switch F6"
- I ran through the lamps and there's a few blown

Other than that, got through a few games ok

#18 11 years ago

Looks like I'm going to have to hunt around to see how the GI is working with this hack. J121 is meant to have a lot more connections than it does, and J120 is meant to have a lot less...

#20 11 years ago

The key things I did was replace the blown power supply fuse and reseat all connecters, that was pretty much it!

Thanks for helping a newbie through the process guys

From a bit of research, seems the F6 switch issue might be a simple fix of cleaning the opto on the flipper button.

#23 11 years ago

As a follow up to this a week on, the machine has been starting up ok around half the time, but on some occasions it is tripping the 10 amp circuit breaker on the power board I have it plugged into (similar to this one: http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_hpm-electresafe-power-centre-10-amp_38877.aspx?filter=categoryname--Power+Centres). It normally starts up ok on the second attempt (obviously resetting the circuit breaker).

It seems as though this happens more after a cold start, and after a bit of research I'm thinking it might be the thermistor in the power supply? The 5A slow blow fuse I replaced in the power supply isn't blowing at all, so that might also explain why the 8A fast blow fuse blew previously...

#25 11 years ago

Thanks toasterdog, repinning J120/J121 is pretty high on my priority list now

1 month later
#26 11 years ago

Finally got around to popping open the metal power box on my WCS today to see what may be up with the circuit breaker tripping (it has been tripping a lot less recently since I added a 15m extension cord to it).

I had done some research, and this article seemed to suggest that there may be something wrong with the thermistor causing a current surge on power on.

http://www.flippers.be/basics/101_sys11_house_fuse_trips.html

Opening the box I discovered there was no thermistor at all, so that would explain it! It looks like I should install one inline with that black cable coming out of the fuse holder at the bottom of the photo? (that leads to the switch).

PowerBox.JPGPowerBox.JPG

#27 11 years ago

Added in a thermistor and so far 2 clean boot ups!

image.jpgimage.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zzap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moved-wcs-not-powering-up?tu=Zzap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.