Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by isJ
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Good morning,

I have a question here for you folks. I have always rented and never had a problem with two of my pins (LOTR and ToM). Recently, I moved to a new place and my pins are now resetting; the landlord says if the circuit is not blowing, it is due to the fact that the pinball machine has a 'glitch' in it.

Is it possible that during my move I bumped the same component in both of these pins to cause these resets? Is it possible that the pins would have reset issues without blowing the breakers and it would still be due to faulty wiring? We have had other issues with our electricity at this place, which leads me to believe that the issue lies with the outlet/wiring in this place.

What could the landlord be able to check? What should/can I check?

Any advice would be great; I hate having all these pins just sit here tempting me with a good time.

#2 8 years ago

Do the pins reset when only both are on? Have you tried different outlets/circuits?

#3 8 years ago

Tried different outlets.
    No other appliances on (known on the circuit).
    No extension cord.
    Only one pin on at a time.

#4 8 years ago

I would like to ask the landlord to get an electrician out here, but he is arguing that since the circuits aren't popping, it's the pins.
    This has also happened with the shower fan (dip in speed) and lights (dip in lighting).

What would cause this issue? I would just like to know so I can provide the guy with a starting point.

#5 8 years ago

I would suspect low voltage from the outlet. Put your DMM in to AC mode and see if you are getting 120 VAC from the outlet. If you are too low, your transformer will not provide the correct 5v to your MPU and you will get resets as the voltage fluctuates during game play.

#6 8 years ago

This has happened with multiple outlets, just putting that out there.

#7 8 years ago

Sounds like you have very inconsistent voltage in the building. An overloaded transformer perhaps? The landlord may not even have any control over it.

#8 8 years ago

Use a multimeter and check the voltage of the socket to see if it's too low.

I'd also say try measuring the amperage, but I think most multimeters max out at 10 amps.

Also: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

#9 8 years ago

It could be bad input voltage. Go get a UPS from the office store and plug that into the wall and the pins into that. It should at least stabilize the power. You may need one ups per game since there could be too much draw otherwise for the battery to keep up.

#10 8 years ago

Any ideas on a UPS that would work? Do I need to drop like $40? $140? $400?

#11 8 years ago

The stern probably pulls 3 amps and the Tom probably 5 amps. 3 amps is 360 watts and 5 amps is 600 watts. Something that can run 500 watts for 5 minutes should be sufficient once you let it charge up (plugged in with pinballs off until it's charged). Since you just want to stabilize power and don't want to actually run the games on battery, you should be able to find something relatively cheap to handle the above loads. The boxes will tell you the loads the ups handles. So take the above wattage info to make a purchase

#12 8 years ago

when i lived at my old place the power was shared off the people that lived below me.

I never had resets but my games seemed to played weak

When we bought our house i had the power updated and could notice the difference, The ramps were easier to make on my BSD and my pops fired like crazy on firepower

#13 8 years ago

Thanks!
    I checked the outlet where they are plugged in right now (I have moved to different outlets with the same results). It is fluctuating between 121.1 - 121.7.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from timtim:

when i lived at my old place the power was shared off the people that lived below me.
    I never had resets but my games seemed to played weak
    When we bought our house i had the power updated and could notice the difference, The ramps were easier to make on my BSD and my pops fired like crazy on firepower

Power updated?

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

Thanks!
    I checked the outlet where they are plugged in right now (I have moved to different outlets with the same results). It is fluctuating between 121.1 - 121.7.

Unfortunately, this doesn't mean much since it's not under load. Try a cheap ups and report back.

#17 8 years ago

Yea that should be enough for what you're doing.

#18 8 years ago

Ok. I'm off to the Center of Micro. Thanks for the help and patience, all!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moved-pinballs-are-now-resetting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.