jumpers (resized).png
20221208_173031 (resized).jpg
20221208_173028 (resized).jpg
Cabinet_Power.png
Rectifier_Board_J2w.png
Rectifier_Board_J2.png
20221206_204407 (resized).jpg
20221206_220001 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KenH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 1 year ago

To test power switch, UNPLUG game, put meter on continuity test, leads on each tab of switch, turn switch on and off. If it works, you'll get beep when switch is on.

That EMI thing can go bad too and fail OPEN.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from 8ballguy:

But only when the unit is plugged in.

I would recommend you do not do continuity tests with the game plugged in. There will be 120VAC on the switch terminals and possibly other places. You could check AC voltages, if you know what you are doing. If you touch the wrong wires, you could damage the game or yourself.

Quoted from 8ballguy:

Is there a way to bypass the switch?

Jumper wire across the terminals, but put the jumper on with the game UNPLUGGED. After the jumper is in place, I would use a switched power tap with a built-in circuit breaker to apply power to the game. I don't like getting shocked.

Quoted from 8ballguy:

Could it be that silver box?

Yes. They can fail OPEN. It can be bypassed with jumper wires, but make sure you jumper the right wires and don't short neutral to hot. Again, jumper with game UNPLUGGED. If you are unsure how to do it safely, then do more research before attempting.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from 8ballguy:

Can you give me some more input on bypassing it? or reccomend where i could purchase one new? im not having much luck finding one online.

Asked and answered. Everything you need to do is in the thread already. If you don't understand, its time to call a professional.

Quoted from Quench:

Why do you want to bypass the power switch when you said a few times early in the thread that the rectifier board downstream was getting 120V ?

This. If you are already getting 120VAC at the board, then you don't need to bypass anything. If you don't understand, the only thing I can recommend is that you call someone that works on pinball machines before you damage the game or hurt yourself.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from 8ballguy:

I do know how to work on pins I've worked on a few just having a little issue with this period

I think you should get help. Get a friend to come over that knows about AC, electronics, and taking basic readings SAFELY. You are lucky nothing bad has happened yet.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from 8ballguy:

without you being a condescending jerk.

Sorry if I sounded like a jerk. The questions made me worry that you weren't aware of the danger poking around with live 120VAC.

If you can make or get some jumper wires, you can bypass the EMI filter -- some people remove them altogether and connect the wires. Just jump hot to hot (usually black wires), neutral to neutral (usually white wires), ground to ground (usually green wires). IDK if your wire colors are the same. I didn't see a picture of your EMI filter.

If that resolves the issue, then remove the jumpers and either replace the EMI or bypass more permanent with connectors or wire nuts.

jumpers (resized).pngjumpers (resized).png
#30 1 year ago

Yeah that's different than I imagined. I think to bypass it you would jump the black wire to the blue wire directly under it, the other black wire to the brown wire directly under it, and the green wire to the green wire on the grounding strap.

#31 1 year ago

Like this...

jump (resized).pngjump (resized).png
#32 1 year ago

Not to be too overprotective here, but if you try this, make sure your jumpers don't touch or short to any metal on that EMI box...

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

I can see the bottom of the EMI filter is wired backwards based on wire colors. If the wires on top are backwards too then two wrongs will make a right.

If that thing is wired wrong, then you should probably not try bypassing until you get better guidance.

If it is like most of the used games I bought, the ground plug was cut off and the plug could go in the wall either way.

Reminds me of a Spot a Card game my dad had in his basement years ago. There was no polarized plug on the game, but the metal on the game must have been tied to the neutral. So you had a 50/50 chance. If you plugged it in wrong, you would get a nice strong shock on your feet through the concrete floor. It really added some ZAZZ to the game.

#36 1 year ago

The first picture shows an aftermarket CPU from barakandl -- a pinside member. Maybe he has some troubleshooting steps for locked LED on his board.

This is for the Bally OEM board, but maybe something here would give you some things to check:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Bally/Stern#Bally_.2F_Stern_MPU_Board_LED_Never_Lights_or_is_Locked_On

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 10.00
$ 99.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KenH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moved-my-pin-now-no-power-?tu=KenH and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.