8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by absocountry2
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

st_salescvr3.jpg

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago

This is awesome, and will most likely be seen in mainstream pinball machines in the future.

just WOW. Pinball seems to be evolving quickly.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #53 8 years ago
    Quoted from NoVArcade:

For those that "don't like" it, and it looks "out of place". I'm sure the EM guys said the same thing for solid state. Would you prefer pinball putt around in stasis like it has for the past decade, or have it move forward.
    Don't worry, your 90's WMS games aren't going anywhere.
    Those who would shoot this new tech down have no business being in the hobby.
    And for those who said it's a "video game" did you miss the part where it TRACKS THE FREAKIN BALL ON THE SCREEN. Standup targets are now mobile.
    Such little imagination.

+1

#54 8 years ago

See this as a study or concept. A proff of technology.

I find it somewhat hard se the "traditional" pinball machine work in this fashion. But it could evolve to smaller mechanical/electronic fusioned games, which may have an appeal for being operated that pinball machines currently don't have.

Also, for long I have thought about the benefit of a traditional pinball machine, that can track the balls anywhere. Where playfield switches a totally obsolete. Think about the way the gameplay could evolve on such a platform.

#55 8 years ago

This P3 system is obviously intended to give TO designers to use as a development kit that they can use/customize to their own games and layouts. Anyone familiar with video game development can liken this to the Unreal/Havok engines, which developers have used to create everything from Gears of War to Batman Arkham City and even our beloved Williams Pinball Classics!

Car guys can think of this as a chassis to build on, not the end product.

The possibilities are ENDLESS once everyone has a great set of design tools to work with! Designers will modify the ramp layouts and other aspects ...as they have always done, and you'll get tons of new and fresh layouts with a sticker somewhere simply saying "Created using P3" or something similar.

This couldn't be better for pinball! This is how things SHOULD be done in 2012. Think about that for a second. 2012.

-M

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrDo:

This P3 system is obviously intended to give TO designers to use as a development kit that they can use/customize to their own games and layouts. Anyone familiar with video game development can liken this to the Unreal/Havok engines, which developers have used to create everything from Gears of War to Batman Arkham City and even our beloved Williams Pinball Classics!

Car guys can think of this as a chassis to build on, not the end product.

The possibilities are ENDLESS once everyone has a great set of design tools to work with! Designers will modify the ramp layouts and other aspects ...as they have always done, and you'll get tons of new and fresh layouts with a sticker somewhere simply saying "Created using P3" or something similar.

This couldn't be better for pinball! This is how things SHOULD be done in 2012. Think about that for a second. 2012.

-M

Good post

#57 8 years ago

I've written these same thoughts in a thread on RGP, but they're equally relevant here.

Many of you share some of my views for how to incorporate various P^3 features into future pinball machines, some of you see the potential of the platform itself, and many of you seem skeptical about the fun factor and are concerned for how much this may wander from the pinball machines you're used to. I appreciate all of the feedback and value all of the opinions, both positive and negative.

As some of you noted, this machine is a prototype, at least in its current form. We implemented a lot of new ideas and remain curious to see how they are received by the broader pinball community as well as those outside the community. The responses we received from people playing the machine at TPF, adults and kids alike, far exceeded our expectations.

As I mentioned in the Pinball News article, it's very important to me not to lose the features that make pinball fun to play (physical interactions, ramps, loops, standup, etc). One of my main goals was to integrate our new features in such a way that they enhanced a traditional pinball machine rather than changed it, and I think I was successful in doing that.

My experience over the last few months has shown me that people don't really 'get it' until they have a chance to play the machine. It's funny how many people look at me like I'm crazy or just blow off the concept when I describe it to them. Their reaction is almost always completely different after they experience the gameplay for themselves, even with the four silly little demo modes I've created so far. Once I develop a full game app, integrating various virtual interactions with the traditional physical features and objects on the machine, I think more of you will understand how this machine succeeds in enhancing the pinball experience rather than morphing it into something else.

However it plays out, I'm excited to bring some new ideas to pinball, and I'm anxious to see where we can take them... and yes, I have a plan.

Keep the feedback coming!

- Gerry
    http://www.pinballcontrollers.com

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

However it plays out, I'm excited to bring some new ideas to pinball, and I'm anxious to see where we can take them... and yes, I have a plan.
    Keep the feedback coming!

Welcome to Pinside Gerry~! I think the technology is amazing, and I'm glad to see there are still people breathing new life into pinball. ...will be interesting to see where this goes.

#59 8 years ago

Gerry,

thanks for all of your (and your team's) hard work. I think the P^3 looks absolutely incredible, just as it sits.

IMHO, pinball machines really haven't changed in the past 20 years (except for the cool Pin 2K experiment), and candidly, needed a kick in the evolutionary butt. I love the amount of innovation and forward thinking that I see in the P^3 platform, and am excited to see what it holds in the future.

On a personal note, this is exactly what I think the next Star Trek pinball should be. Just slap this graphic on the side, and you're good to go.

Thanks,
    EV

st_salescvr3.jpg

#60 8 years ago

Hi,

I think this has potential, especially now the ball can interact with the screen. Combine that with your ability to network with other machines - you could do all sorts of neat things that would enhance the game.

Thanks Gerry - neat stuff!

#61 8 years ago

lets see,right now we have stern,jjp,ben heck/jpop,p3, the guys making capt. nemo and retro pinball. this is a whole lot better than it was 2 years ago when there was only stern making pins.
    its not what it was in the early 90's but everyone here should smile at the fact there are people out there with drive and ambition to keep pinball alive and thriving.

#62 8 years ago

I'm excited to bring some new ideas to pinball, and I'm anxious to see where we can take them

New ideas are always welcome here Gerry!
    Evolve or die! True lovers of pinball should embrace anything that brings innovation and sparks further creativity.
    Thanks for your contribution and good luck!

#63 8 years ago

One of my main goals was to integrate our new features in such a way that they enhanced a traditional pinball machine rather than changed it, and I think I was successful in doing that.

GOOD NEWS!

#64 8 years ago

Does anyone else think we'll be replacing entire board sets with P-ROC systems in the near future? Not even with any fancy features, just to run the original software.

Especially when no one's manufacturing replacement boards and/or they're prohibitively expensive.

#65 8 years ago

"Honestly, I've only played around with multi-ball tracking for a few hours so far. It's amazing how time consuming it is to build a complex pinball machine by hand from scratch! I was able to get it to track two balls for a little while before my simple algorithm got confused, and I have some ideas on how to improve the algorithm to resolve the confusion.

Tracking more than two balls might be challenging with our current configuration, but I have plans to enhance it on our next prototype."

This part really intrigues me, and hope it is not a stumbling block for this technology. Would the difficulty tracking ramp up exponentially with more balls (i.e. Lost in the Zone 6 ball multiball)?

This is a great leap forward for pins. I wish you a ton of success!

#66 8 years ago

The cool possibility to me is that one could change games with a jump drive possibly? Buy one cabinet and get many games? Sure would save my back from hauling games up and down the stairs.

Would the game have no backbox? I guess it's just what I'm used to but I think it needs some sort of backbox. Even if it just has a translite for the game your playing. I don't know...

#67 8 years ago

I see the potential, but it looks a little gimmicky at this point. Either way I'd be interest to see how this turns out.

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Anim8ormatt said:I don't really like it, I would prefer a standard playfield that don't distract from ball movement. I also like the look of a standard machine with the backglass and graphics. This would look out of place.
    I am all for innovation, But I just can't quite figure out what they're trying to do at pinball controllers.
    I'm really surprised at the negativity here concerning this concept....I'm new to Pinside - so maybe I don't know what the general vibe is around here. Are most people here just into EMs or something?

No their not into EMs over here they just need to see the potential.
    JJP SR and Gomez all had a go on it at the TPF.I was curious what
    they thought but never asked. Good to have you here,Greg
    Rick

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If the LCD makes the game more fun, I'm all for it.

Agree!

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from NoVArcade:

Those who would shoot this new tech down have no business being in the hobby.

The attitude you use does not belong on Pinside or this hobby. That kind of attack will not get you any warm fuzzies here. Please do not attack others for voicing there opinons in an open forum. It was a pretty civil discussion until you went on a rampage. There are other sites that would love to banter with you, not here please.

This is from Robin in the tan box right below the post box: "Please be nice! Let's keep this the friendliest pinball site on the net! Thanks! Note that Pinside moderators have the right to edit posts when not in accordance to our community rules."

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 19.99
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 75.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 16.00
    $ 36.99
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Stuff
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside